Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
1/32 Roden GB 2008 SE5a - Steve
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 09:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Mark,. . ."My problem" with PE is it sticking to my sweaty hands and then carrying the darn things around with me and NOT knowing it. I don't remember a "Rule" for that one. Anyway. . . the SE5(a) "Seems" solid again.

Regards
Steve

Actually I think you have just invented a new rule. Though it may tend to imply that PE parts are sentient beings with the capabilities of thought and self preservation. Next they will make a move toward Nanotechnology and then they will move for their rights. And finally many years from now they will have the right to vote. . . . Ok maybe not. I am glad you have not lost your drive to finish. Model On! Too easy!

Also for anyone building this kit. or the Hisso motor version. The SE 5a had a steerable tail skid and the lowest access holes in the rear fuselage are for those cables.
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 478 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 04:59 AM UTC
Happy New Year everyone. Well I'm back to the SE5a after it decided to go flying on it's own.

I recovered from the near disaster with support form folks here. Thanks.

She got painted today. I primed it, rib taped it, pre-shaded it, and then put a very thin top coat on it. Lets just call it "brown". I put the pics through photoshop and with the machine sitting next to the monitor came up with something that "Fairly" resembles the actual piece. You "might" see hints of a green in the photos, but I assure you there is NO green present.

I was also kinda disappointed with the paint peel when pulled up the Tamiya masking tape. Will be corrected later............along with all the other rigging damage.

Note to self..............mighty hard to prime and paint "Bare Metal Foil" . It just doesnt like paint. No masking for markings!

Comments welcome. I like it and dislike it. I found that if you should do the pre-shading method, that the "shading" color has to be fairly light. I had to make the "Brown" darker than I wanted to cover up those stark white rib tapes contrasting with the darker pre-shade. The streaking is on purpose.

Regards
Steve
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 08:11 AM UTC

Looks great, Steve. The shading turned out very nice.

Mark
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 10:29 AM UTC
Looking good Steve.

I like the underside. A little "Clean" perhaps, but I'm sure you can address that later.

Cheers,

Hugh
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 10:56 AM UTC
Ah yes Hugh...........fear not, the dirt-man commeth. The upper I will hold off on for a while. The bottom, well I have a few more plans for. Not a mud tornado survivor.........but not pristine like it is now.

The top was fun to spray. I started out with a really really thin paint. It was TOO thin to cover my pre-shading........so she got thicked up some.

Regards
Steve
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 12:00 PM UTC
Not bad at all there Steve . Just think , rigging will begin soon ! Looking forward to more progress .

Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 07:17 AM UTC
Yes Terri I'm close to at least "Starting" the rigging....or at least the pre-rigging. But I still have ways to procrastinate...............like playing in "mud".....

So far it's all been Acrylics. As it's my first acrylic build I was hesitant. I kinda like the stuff. Now I start on the oils for the belly detail.

Regards
Steve
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 08:13 AM UTC
Definately looking good, I like the preshading and the fanning out of th filth under her, I can't wait to see it as the whole begins to come together

Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 12:45 PM UTC
First set of filters applied to both the bottom and top wings. Wasn't able to get too much done today. Will try for more tomorrow.

Gonna have to learn a bit about proper priming for acrylics.........that splotch on the brown belly is from a post-it note pull. Rather irksome.

Regards
Steve
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 12:57 PM UTC
Looks good Steve , you may find that it helps to put a clear coat in between the layers of acrylic paint , will help stop the lifting on paint . I'm surprised that a posted not could lift paint ! I brush coat a very thin coat of future and have had good success , just a thought .
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 02:32 AM UTC
Thoughts are ALWAYS welcomed. Thanks Terri. I can tell that my Acrylic priming program does need work. I'm THINKING (and thinking always gets me into trouble)..........of putting a enamel FLAT clear coat on it shortly. I have more filters to add and if i lift paint where a lot of work has gone on your gonna hear some screams and a SPLAT........plastic to wall.

Mostly kidding there................but it IS frustrating. I THOUGHT.........(there goes thinking again) that I had a good solid prime on it. Apparently....not so.

Right now I'm recovering from a near fatal "Blue Screen of death"..........there was definately some going on.

Regards
Steve

MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 09:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have more filters to add and if i lift paint where a lot of work has gone on your gonna hear some screams and a SPLAT........plastic to wall.

Nah, you can't do that... you've come far too far for that.

I make a habit of wiping everything with Denatured alcohol before I start spraying, just to be sure that all of the horrible grease and oil off of my fumble fingers is gone. Some times, it is not enough. In fact, I think at times it would be better to give every thing a light sand to key in the primer.

I have lost a couple of tiny spots from where I masked for my roundels on the underside of the wing, but the tape I was masking with was very high tack, so I am not surprised.

Keep going.

Cheers,

Hugh
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 10:17 AM UTC
Hey Hugh..............just joshing about 'flinging"............... mostly. Rub it with alcohol?? your talking about the bare plastic arent you? If i rub the acrylics with it.....that softens up the paint?

Anywho.......I'll be back at it. I don't think I'll be masking for roundels......... not gonna chance it.

Regards
Steve
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 11:05 AM UTC
Yep, bare plastic. Bub the painted surface with alcohol and you won't have a painted surface... One of the other reasons that I like Acrylics... You can so easily strip back and re-do if you stuff up.

Cheers,

Hugh
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 11:13 PM UTC
I just love the paintwork my friend. In my eyes you just nailed the personality on the model with that paintingskill.The tones, the fades, the filters. just wishing I could master the airbrush as you my friend

sweet job

Larsa Q
Now´s the riggingtime
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 01:27 AM UTC
No Larsa.........not "rigging time" quite yet. Like Hugh, I'm "Cogitating". I love that word.

I have my "Plan" for the rigging. Doesn't mean it will go "as planned"! Have my anchors set. I also need to purchase some more FINE drill bits. Seems I broke all my microspopic ones.

I'm cogitating just how to mask for my markings...........and not pull the paint up. I primed...then painted but that primer didnt provide enough bite for the topcoat evidently.

Basically, I'm procrastinating. The "hard stuff" is left. The "Fun stuff" got done. Lead in my feet.

Thanks for the paint comments. Several more filters for the brown as well as for the doped linen....... mostly probably for repairs.

Regards
Steve
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 01:33 AM UTC
I´ll be watching

Larsa Q
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:20 PM UTC
White backgrounds masked and painted for the roundels. not that photogenic....no pics yet. I felt better with the paintjob............at least the clear doped linen didn't lift with some fairly strong tape that i used.

More rigging anchors installed for the landing gear. Pins installed into the landing gear to hopefully make it a bit stronger.

Procrastinating AND "cogitating".

Regards
Steve
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 01:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

White backgrounds masked and painted for the roundels. not that photogenic....no pics yet. I felt better with the paintjob............at least the clear doped linen didn't lift with some fairly strong tape that i used.

Can I claim to have pushed you a little on that?

Cheers,

Hugh
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 01:22 PM UTC
You "pushed"................you ALL posted...........I "Know" painting them is better..........but I'll be D***ed if i can make stencils that work. I spent hours working on those today.

Soooooooooooooo I think what I have done is at LEAST provide a white background for the decal roundels. I know there must be roundel masks out there..............I just don't have any right now. I'm very LOW TECH here.

I just keep plodding along slowly but surely with a lot of procrastination in between. I already know i don't have enough arms or fingers to do what needs to be done for the rigging. Very steep learning curve.

The nice thing about Aeroscale is that there are so many folks that can provide the help and the "gentle push" when one gets stuck.

Regards
Steve
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 01:58 PM UTC
Steve , could the procrastinating be the cause from the beer prehaps !

Just in case here .............. .

Looking forward to the pic's !
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 09:39 PM UTC
Don't as a rule..........unless the aluminum is needed. Keep a case on hand, just in "Case". Terri, I'll accept the and add it to the case.......hmmmm the warm case or the cold case?

Since I'm breaking some new ground, for me that is...........it's slowed me up and have had to "Think"........"Cogitate" as it were. So far..........all the anchors for the rigging are set for the wing and landing gear. The plan is in place. No plan in place for the tail yet.......

Regards
Steve
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 07:45 AM UTC
Come on Steve... PHOTOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My PC10 is on. Shading tonight and then... Da, da, dahhhhhh!

Rigging.

Cheers,

Hugh
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 08:12 AM UTC
Sorry Hugh.....no pics, unless you want to see a near disaster. I'm in the paint repair mode right now. Told you I'm expanding my boundries here..............with Acrylics and now Frisket masking for those roundels.

Well, I went ahead and found some frisket and cut my masks for the roundels......not TOO awful for a first time at that. What WAS awful was the red center dot............my mask had loosened as i happily sprayed away. So arful too............. OK....not bad........acrylics base layer and filters..........and enamel Roundels............no sweat just use thinner and come back later. Thinner goobered up the enamel....RED is a really great color to be "playing" around with anyway. The stuff took off the acrylic Linen and the filters too....thats what goobered up.

OK, she's up drying now. The Blue is ok...............the red is gone and down to my white primer layer. I'll lightly sand the goobers off and go back and put a white acrylic layer on it. I MAY just do my original idea of using the dreaded decals. So much crisper.........

Hugh, don't feel bad about the push. I really needed to "Play" with that some. I'm just glad i did the bottom of the wing only. Top still is prepped for decals (with a white base).

Just another bump in the road of expanding my boundries. Since the roundel lays over the aileron, that open joint was pushing me to use paint.

You guys and gals are going to build 14 kits to my one here.

Plugging away.....
Steve
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 02:06 PM UTC
I think I'm with Hugh on this one ............................PHOTO'S STEVE !!!..please . sounds like you are having the acrylic blue's ! I must say you are braver then I'm for trying out tricky methods . I practice first on a old model and go from there . Were all pulling for you hoping that some day we will be able to see the rigging come alive . Looking forward to the progress pic's !

Cheers