Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
1/32 Roden GB 2008 SE5a - Steve
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 478 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 09:57 PM UTC
I'm getting to the point where I'm looking forward to the rigging also Terri. Photos as soon as I can smooth out the mess. 90% sure reverting to decals for this one.

Regards
Steve
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2009 - 01:29 AM UTC
Interesting "revelation" from the near disaster. Revelation AND possibly a stroke of good luck.

I was planning on using oils to add filters to the PC10 and Linen. Whoa doggies........when I was tidying up the "red dot" incident...............the thinner softened the Mister Kit acrylic Linen and my Tamiya acrylic pre-shading...........the swab I was using lifted them right off. The only thing that wasnt damaged was the white prime coat. I'm "Guessing" that my topcoats and pre-shading were done VERY VERy thin and were not at full strength, though neighter was the Tamiya White.

WHOA..........I would have buggered the whole thing if i had gone to filtering. Going to have to be more careful. Break out my Future.

Regards
Steve
Regards
Steve
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2009 - 03:17 AM UTC
As i stated before, I'm a novice Acrylic painter. Always used enamels before. I'm still a bit bamboozled on these acrylics. While "repairing" by Roundel blunder.............I found that enamel thinner (Model Master airbrush thinner) ate through some, not all acrylics. Just now i found while cleaning up my goobers in the roundels, that alcohol ate right through my enamals. Wow, is nothing safe?

Anyway, I'll let this mess dry well and then "throw" a little future on them and 'slap" some decal roundels on.

At least the only affected areas are on the bottom of the wings.

Hmmmm, where is the Abby hiding?

Regards
Steve
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2009 - 01:30 PM UTC
Nothing is safe when use rubbing alcohol and thinners Steve ! It's the Albbie on the left hand corner next to beer case ?
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 07:54 AM UTC
Dang..........that's why I couldn't find the Abbie...kept bumping into the beer cart.

Detail work on the SE5a today. Getting back on track after some frustrations.

Cockpit side window installed. Wing control windows installed along with pullys. For all the windows i used a self adhesive clear plastic film. Nice and thin.

Rigging...............did my first today. These had to be installed to anchors that sit behind the engine, so before the engine...had to pre-install these wires.

Every set of wires on this "thing" take a lot of cogitating as to how to attach both bottom and top. Beer locker getting low from cogitating.

Top wing and landing gear (minus the wheels) go on shortly.

It will at least LOOK somewhat like an SE5a (Viper) by the end of the GB.

I'm getting nervous now about the decals. Those are going to have "Issues" with the wrinkles. More cogitating. Have even "contemplated" removing my wrinkles and adding the more conventional acrylic paste. No wonder the Beer Locker is low.

Promise some photos "Soon". I don't want to increase my frustration level with HI-res photos revealing all my flaws.

Regards
Steve
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:29 PM UTC
Greetings SteveH;

I am sure you will have her up and done to a high level of finish. Your build has proved to be very impressive. No worries. Model On!
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 06:20 AM UTC
OK an update with pics.

Getting back "in step" after my paint disaster. Base color and smoke added in thin layers. Wing inspection windows fitted and painted. Thin self adhesive acetate. Note my rigging anchors at different points. Cabanes and other wood supports (names escape me) ready for install. Paint is "Thin" on engine area, have lots to do there. Cogitating how to do the fasteners, I think I'll just make them simple.

Have not worked on upper wing yet. No need to yet as all my rigging wires will pass up through the wing requiring repairs. I'll paint it after.

I don't think I'll make the deadline, but I'm learning and having "Fun"?? I'll finish at my own deadline. I was surprised to find I've been at this for 6 months now. Talk about dragging things out.

Regards
Steve
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 01:45 PM UTC
Not to shabby at all there Steve , getting there ! Are you going to do a few more light pass on the top surface ? It looks really light in colour or it could be just me .

It took me time to get used to using acrylics as well . And the word you where looking for is ..Struts , see what happens when you don't have that ,it's right next to the Alb

All in all Steve this has been a very enjoyable build to watch and look forward to more pic's !
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 11:06 PM UTC
Terri,

Thanks for the boost. Need that sometimes to get rolling again.

As for another light pass..........yes, but it will be very thin also. My intensions on this paint is to show a slightly sun faded surface. I've been around planes all my life and the sun is brutal to a paint job. Now I'm not old enough to have been around doped canvas.. So I'm not really sure just how it takes the sun. I've read arguments for darkening and some for lightening. My final "light pass" will set the wraparound PC10 that has been getting worn off with handling.

I really don't know the maintenance practices back then. They knew a few things about areodynamics..........as shown in the flat flying wires. I do not know if they washed and polished their aircraft to fly faster. If they did that, then a lot of the sun bleaching effect is "washed" off, in essense rejuvinating the finish. I would think that they at least removed dirt buildup and mud clogs.

Anyway.............that's my plan.

Regards
Steve
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 01:11 AM UTC
Looking at period pics there seems such a wide variation, I know films varied greatly there really are som differences.
So many contributing factors I guess, oil leaks fuel sprays and dust all would attack/coat the finish I imagine, also groundcrews pride or lack of maybe in their pilot's steed. As for overall finish some shine some look quite satin and others really matt whether thats down to Dope batches extra finishing or maintenance/war I have no idea.

Both sides Allied and Axis seem to have the same issue though, and it leaves the field wide open for what you want I think.

Well thats my tuppence worth of irrelevant opinion that counts for diddleysquat

any how right or wrong the kite is looking impressive so far.

Keith
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 01:20 AM UTC
Hey Keith,

"Well thats my tuppence worth of irrelevant opinion that counts for diddleysquat "

Actually.....it does count. Thanks. Irrelevant opinions are ALWAYS welcomed. I'm full of them also.

Your term "KITE"...........is really what I want to convery........not a hunk of painted plastic. Which is why I "play around" in this Forum. Full of GREAT inspirations. This build has given me 6 months of pushing my building envelope.

Anyway....thank you Keith and to everyone else that has provided support. And I ain't done yet.

Regards
Steve
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 04:08 AM UTC
No trouble at all Steve , it's nice to have that boost ever once and a while
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 05:34 PM UTC
Very well. The Roden 1/32 Group Build final extension is . . .drum roll please. . .February 28, 2009. BUT we can accept no further builds. After that - the axe must fall ya'll.
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 01:46 AM UTC
Real life is taking a toll on the SE5a. It's going to have to go dormant for a while. A short while i hope.

Stephen, If you will, I'd appreciate it if you pulled my SE5a out of the Group Build and put it back into the "huddled masses".

For those that have been following the build, i thank you for your interest............and it's not going away. I'll get back to it. I have a few hurdles to overcome with it (I really dont want to HAVE to remove all paint from the bottom of the lower wing and repaint it.). Your combined support has helped immensely. I thank you all again.

I Shall Return!

Regards
Steve