Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
The great checker board Campaign
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 12:53 PM UTC
A checkerboard sounds most appropriate to me.

Cheers,
Mike

jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 08:32 PM UTC
found a great profile for my 1/72 revell camel. Will go nicely with the stripey se5a
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 - 07:21 AM UTC
Hi Terri
Is it to late for me to join? I have an Academy 1/48 Hawker Hunter with a yellow and black chequer board tail making eyes at me.
tim

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 - 12:22 PM UTC
Hi MJ , checkerboard it is then . Who would like to make the ribbon now ?

Was only a matter of time Jaypee and I knew you would sign up ! Great to have you with this one . Nice scheme to by the way .

It's not to late at all Tim . Welcome aboard !

Sunday is the big day !
Ruffus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Guatemala
KitMaker: 343 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 - 03:25 PM UTC
I propose this, , it is simple and efective. hope you like it.

Happy Modeling

Byron
Removed by original poster on 10/31/09 - 03:28:11 (GMT).
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 05:16 AM UTC
Nice idea Byron ! I would say it's a go on that !

Well it's Nov 1 / 09 , we have 18 signed up to kick this one off ! Looking forward to each of your builds !
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 05:18 AM UTC
That works for me, Bryon, thank very much for making it. One of these days I have to learn how to make those!

Well, the Seaplane Campaign starts today as well, and they requested a photo of the kit with a paper in the background, so I took one of my Checkerboard entry along with it. Here's my entry, and we are off to the workbench!

Great builds, everyone. Have fun.

Cheers,
MIke
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 08:26 AM UTC
Nice ribbon Byron! Matches the checkerboard on my P-40.

Started my kit this morning. Boy, being an ex-AMT kit.......well, she's kind of a dog. I'll get some pic's posted later, but right now I'm looking at a 2mm gap at the wing roots.

Hermon
Removed by original poster on 11/02/09 - 00:00:49 (GMT).
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 12:03 PM UTC
Cockpit is done. Not alot of detail but I worked with what I had. Second pic shows the gap at the wing root. I've added a bit of styrene since the photo and it's looking alot better.

Hermon
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 12:12 PM UTC
G'day Hermon. Well, we have got different aircraft in this campaign but both have yellow/black tails and stabilizers. We have to stop meeting like this or people will start talking !! Nice start to the build BTW.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 12:51 AM UTC
Go Hermon go ! Great start on your build so far . I still haven't made up my mind on what I want to build . Either Eduards Bristol the crocdile or Sopwith Camel ( Black Mike ) or it could be Big Beautiful Doll !
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 03:53 AM UTC
I hope you don't mind, but I thought I would throw in a couple of pic's of previous attempts at "Checkerboarding". I can't remember if these are Sweet or Platz, but they are 1/144 scale attempts at a P-51 and a P-47.

I'm hoping that my current project will come out better. After all, I am moving up to giant scale...1/72.

Cheers,
Mike

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 10:15 AM UTC
1/144 scale Mike??!!
OMG man, you're giving me a headache. You must have tiny little hands like the guy in the Burger King commercial.
Actually, that's an awsome job.

Hermon
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 10:03 PM UTC
Yeah MJ what's not to like with these two? I've got Eileen in the stash so I'm interested to see how it turns out.

I was bored last night waiting for future to dry on my d.520. So I got suck(er)ed into starting the revell /172 camel.
Urgh! This is not tamiya, or even airfix, it's basically a toy, but at £2.50 retail what do you expect?

But like the Se5a I'd did, it will be good for masking practice. 3 layers of checks on the tiny cowl should be an exercise in patience.

Sanded the ribs, sorry 2x4s, off the wings. Chopped the pilot's head off as the mould misalignment made the pilot look like the elephant man. And there is no way I'm superdetailing this thing so the pilot makes a good filler. Fair play to anyone who has used the Part fret for this kit but do yourself a favor and spend an extra fiver on the roden kit.

Faired over where the guns would have gone, filled the trenches where the struts go buttoned it up and attached the lower wing.
Several shims needed on the starboard side to get the dihedral even (not correct, just even).

Then put it all back in the box in time for bed. (I always tidy up afterwards). I forgot the camera today I'll post some shots later.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 01:22 AM UTC
Wow MJ , now those are small ! To small for me , but you did one super job on them .
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 04:15 AM UTC
Thanks very much, friends. You are very kind.

Quoted Text

You must have tiny little hands like the guy in the Burger King commercial.

LOL - Hermon, my wife agrees, and says that's not all.

J.P. - Thank you much. I always have a picture in my minds eye of what my finished project should look like, and so far (and maybe we are our own worst critic) just haven't hit that mark. I do keep trying, though.

Terri - Thank you. Coming from someone who has totally floored me with their WWI biplanes, your kind words are most appreciated.

I managed to get some Interior Green shot in the cockpit and wheel wells last night, and hopefully will get some detail picked out and highlighted this morning, so...moving the ball forward. Hope to post some "in-progress" pics soon.

Cheers,
MIke

jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 09:12 PM UTC
As promised pics. Didn't do much to this last night just trimmed the white styrene tabs and give it a coat of enamel
as a primer. will need some work with sanding sticks and round files yet.

Revell Camel
Revell CamelRevell Camel
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 01:59 PM UTC
I wanted to say, Mike, that 325th fighter group Mustang and 78th fighter group Jug are really nice jobs. Such a small scale too. This from someone who works exclusively in 1/72 scale to keep everything nice and constant in scale. Except my airliners of course! Ha ha. Great job. Russell
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 03:58 PM UTC
Thank you, Russell, for those kind words. They are most appreciated. My area of interest is WWII pretty exclusively, but when it comes to scale, I'm all over the map. My build for this Campaign will be the 1/72 Academy P-47, "Eileen". I hope to have some WIP pics up shortly.

Thank you again.

Cheers,
Mike

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 04:13 AM UTC
This will be my build for the campaign . It will be done out of box .

mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 08:21 AM UTC
Great choice, Terri, but....uh, you do realize it only has one wing, right?

Seriously, I built a 1/72 Tamiya P-51D before, and thought it was the best engineered 1/72 scale kit I ever worked on. I think you are going to have a great time with this one, and I know I will enjoy watching your progress.

Cheers,
Mike

RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 10:05 AM UTC
Right, time to throw my hat into the ring. A quick reminder of what I intend to build

F-15J of 303 squadron JASDF, wearing special markings for the 2007 fighter meet.

And this is what I shall be using - Hasegawa kit with Pavla resin seat

Progress will be slow at first - weather is forecast to be atrocious this weekend which is the only time I can get outside and spray primer. During the week its dark when I leave the house, and dark when I get home!

Any advice from those who've built this kit before on how to handle the tricky areas such as the intakes would be gratefully received.

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 12:46 AM UTC
Yes I have built this little gem before and all you really have to do is toss some paint in the box and shake it ! Open the box and stand back with amazment .

I should be able to start getting some paint down on her soon . Almost finish two projects on the bench so with in about two weeks . Looking forward to this build though , need a break from the rigging .

Neil , super choice for the campaign But I can help you with how she goes together , never built a jet thingy before .............
looking forward to your progress .......