Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official BF 109 Campaign
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 02:38 PM UTC
You are a pace setter Matt.

Bob
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 09:48 AM UTC
Thanks Bob. The decals are complete. Finished them up shortly after taking this pic. Waiting for them to fully dry, then will flat coat and weather accordingly. Have been bouncing back and forth between this and my B-47 for my Bomber campaign. Might have to do another 109 as I found a cool scheme while scanning my references last night. Another night fighter based on the 109 as well. Thanks, "Q"

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 02:31 PM UTC
Matt, as usual its looking good I like the camo and the decal application looks really good. I played with my Airfix 109F today after a final exam at school and the kit tested my skills more than the last 3 months of college. The following photos are of the putty, sanding, filing process, but I need help with the raised detail that was either sanded away or destroyed outright. I used tape to minimize the detail removal when using putty and sanding. How do I restore raised fine lines? The seams were of the Grand Canyon type and I am happy with what was acheived so far, I just need some help with advice on restoring raised detail, the panel lines that I can engrave are no problem.
here you can still see the plastic shims that were used on the GAP
Photobucket
here is where I need help in restoring the raised panel lines
Photobucket
Same veiw as above at x10
Photobucket
this is a mold mark that I still need to fix
Photobucket
the bottom seam came out nicely and holes made for the drop tank were filled in.
Photobucket
the area where the radiator was fit to the fuselage left a big gap in the bottom so I filled it in with some thin plastic sheet and puttied over then sanded. Here you can see the engraved detail that had been sanded away has been made with a dental tool.
Photobucket

The wing fit is so poor that I toyed with the idea of cutting off the insertion tabs and making my own spars to glue the wing to the fuselage. The spinner does not line up with the nose at this point, but that is for another time

Bob
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 03:53 PM UTC
Nice work thus far Bob. To replace the raised panel lines you can use stretched sprue. Just stretch it really thin, cut a piece longer than what you need to replace. To adhere it to the kit I use Tamiya super thin liquid cement (Green cap) and apply a small amount at one end of where it will go. Let this set for a few seconds to evaporate slightly, then lay the one end in place. Let that end set nice and firm as it won't take but a few seconds or so. Now comes the tricky part...securing the remainder of it in place without melting it into the here after. Pull the line where it needs to go and basically end it at the other end of the piece you just laid down. Wrapping from one side of the fuselage to the other basically. Wet the brush of the Tamiya super thin, and remove as much of the excess as you can, then make a light pass at the end point while contining to hold the sprue in place. It will set up fairly quick. Use a new #11 blade and cut of the excess to even the ends up...it will cut extremely easy as it is so thin and soft. Wet your brush again and again remove a lot of the cement, then run the brush along the entire piece ensuring that it is straight of course. There should be enough of the solvent remaining in the cement to bond the stretched new pael line to the fuselage. This is how I replaced the panel lines I lost on my F-105 and it works like a charm. Just have to go slow and be patient. Try it out on a scrap kit to figure out how much cement to remove and how long to leave things to dry before moving on. You'll pick it up quickly. Hope this helps. "Q"
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 04:13 PM UTC
Matt, thanks for the method. I had tried that with small Evergreen strips and Testors liquid glue years ago with disastorus results. I have copied your instructions and printed them out. Now to fire up the grill lighter we are in trouble

Bob
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 06:31 PM UTC
Gald to help. I use a candle when stretching sprue as it allows me to use both hands... ;o)
Put the wraps on mine a few minutes ago. Very pleased with how it came out. Per the info provided in the instructions, Flown by Hptm. Karl Muller, I/NJG 11 April 1945.
The only additions I added to the kit were some pre painted belts. I need to go back and add the canopy hold open wire and my gun sight...DOH!.. as I forgot to add them. This is the first Hasegawa 109 I have built and I like it. No fuss at all anywhere other than the spinner decal and that was easy enough to overcome. Also decided to keep the weather very light on this one. Just some minor exhaust staining, light post shading of the panel lines and light weapons powder residue. Will get my pics posted to the gallery soon. Thanks, "Q"

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 06:36 PM UTC
Well done Matt. Another fine a/c for that basement airforce or are there any grandkids yet to play with them?

Bob
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 06:38 PM UTC
Thanks Bob. Three grandkids, but the two boys are in Italy for the next few years. Grand daughter could care less about them.. lol. I looked for a gallery to post my completed pics in but couldn't find anything Am I blind or is it that well hidden? "Q"
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 06:47 PM UTC
Matt, it may well be hidden. I could not find the gallery either, but I am blind at times also .

Bob
EDC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 101 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 07:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Put the wraps on mine a few minutes ago.

Great model. Love the finish!

My kit arrived in the post, and I might make a start on the weekend. I'll be building it out of the box with the supplied decals and with minimal faffing about.

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 12:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Damian , wow dude ! you are doing one very nice job on this build . One of your best so far . Might not be a Chevy , but still very impressive

Thanks Terri !! I'm really enjoying this build. Great fit, interesting and challenging camo, and STENCILS STENCILS STENCILS !!!

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 12:15 AM UTC
Wow, I just had a good look back through the last few pages of this thread. Man there's some great work going on !!

Cheers, D
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 12:34 AM UTC
Cheers D

did you use the swastikas with the white outline? hard to tell from the photos .. could be a tad more if yo ask me.

Anyway, great build .. but wrong scale
(if you do not know, it is kind of a "running gag", that I complain about any model not 48 scale )

all the best

Steffen
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 12:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers D

did you use the swastikas with the white outline? hard to tell from the photos .. could be a tad more if yo ask me.

Anyway, great build .. but wrong scale
(if you do not know, it is kind of a "running gag", that I complain about any model not 48 scale )

all the best

Steffen

Thanks Steffen, and thanks for your help also. Unfortunately the only 1/32 swastikas I had with the white outline have the very fine black outline also. I decided not to hunt down a complete set of decals just to get the correct swastikas, so these will have to do me on this build.

EDIT: Please excuse the splattery overspray, I'm a confirmed airbrush novice !!
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 01:08 AM UTC
Hi Damian

Well, so it be. I wrote you what the correct style would have been BTW the overspray looks o.k./ good to me! but the frame numbers sit too high for my taste ...

all the best

Steffen
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 01:14 AM UTC
No worries Steffen, I learn a lot from every build I do. This is my first 109, and my first 1/32 scale kit, so the next and those that follow after will only be better !!

Cheers, D
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 04:18 AM UTC
D. looking good so far and I love the landing gear.

Bob
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 04:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

D. looking good so far and I love the landing gear.

Bob

Yeah Bob, gotta work a bit on my scratchbuilding skills. Not quite accurate yet ??
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 05:04 AM UTC

very nice Damian...

Matthew has come up with a super build & finish ... although that particular 109 kit should ideally go in the 'what-if' section/forum..
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 06:09 AM UTC
Matt , very nice job on your build ! Looks rather cool with the black lower wing half .

Very nice Damian ! How do you like 32 scale so far ? That;s how I leaned to do scrstch building was with small details and work my up from there .
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 08:48 AM UTC
Wow Matt! What a great looking bird. Why did they paint the one wing black? Identification of some sort I guess? Damian, your bird is coming along nicely as well. Got to get started on my 1/72 scale girl soon.

Don't know what colors to put it in though. Will anyone have a cow if I go with RLM 84!! That greenish sky color is interesting at least. Russell

P.S. Grant, what is faffing about? Is that English? Ha ha ha
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 10:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow Matt! What a great looking bird. Why did they paint the one wing black?

Thanks for the kudos Russell. No clue as to the paint scheme. Just went with what was called out in the destructions. Thanks again, "Q"
EDC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 101 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 09:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

P.S. Grant, what is faffing about? Is that English? Ha ha ha

Hi Russell, I'm not sure where the term is from, it's probably a polite term for another word I can think of. I just find that when I fuss over something I usually make a mess of it.
ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 - 01:25 AM UTC
great builds guys and gals!

Usually the two color wing undersides were ID for ground gunners...at least thats what the British did with Hurries and Spits.
paultoz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 08:22 AM UTC
Some really nice builds happening here - well done to everyone!!
I've made more progress on my ICM 1/48 109F Trop. First thing I will say is decals! They all shattered. I applied a couple of coats of Future to the decal sheet and still some of them had to be reassembled on the kit. Do all ICM decals behave this way?
Since last time I've finished painting, gloss coat, decals, gloss coat, oil wash & pastels, flat coat. Some things I'm happy with, some not...next one will be better
Anyways, some photos...

The underside

Front view

Port side

Top view

Starboard side

Paul