Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official BF 109 Campaign
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 10:08 AM UTC
Hello Paul,
Sorry to hear about the decals especially since I had been eyeballing that kit. BTW nice job on your build and camo, what are the lines on the fuselage, kit details or your wash and if so how did you accomplish this it looks great. Again nice build.

Bob
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 11:11 AM UTC
I tried Matthew's technique for restoring raised detail and it works great all I need is more practice.
Photobucket
notice the darker line is where I did not get the sprue as small as the first batch, but this can be my practice a/c.
Photobucket

Bob
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 11:30 AM UTC
Here are some photos, one sort of fuzzy, sorry, of my 1/72 scale 109G-6. I put it in really late war colors, of RLM84 on bottom with RLM 82/81 on top.

Made an error initially, put too much paint on the top and it ran over the bottom! Stripped the wing with some soapy water and s scrubby thing. Didn't lose any detail! Whew! Thanks for looking. Russell

cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 11:45 AM UTC
Sweet builds all!

I'm jealous that everyone is making suck great progress and I am still stuck where I'm at with mine.

No matter. I'm almost done with my Aces High build, so I can turn more attention to cranking out a couple more Bf 109s.

Cheers,
Fred
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 01:29 PM UTC
A better photo of the 109 in progress. Russell

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 01:42 PM UTC
Nice job there Russel, and in a scale I cannot even see the camo looks great.

Bob
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 02:19 PM UTC
Hi again ! Well, after laboring for hours getting the stencils and markings on, my 109 got a couple of good coats of flat clear (Gunze acrylic through the airbrush). Since I'm trying a few new techniques on this build the next logical step was pinwashing the panel lines and dirtying things up a bit !!

For this I used Tamiya Flat Black enamel heavily thinned, as usual any comments or advice please. Have I gone too heavy or too light ? My aim for the final finish is to have a little bit of grime and some paint fading, but nothing too drastic so the stencils and markings are all still fairly clear.

Cheers all, D

BTW Matt and Paul, great jobs both, I love the schemes you guys used.

Bob, coming along great, I'll be trying out the sprue method myself soon !!

Russell, nice work on the mottling. Especially in 1/72 !! Another method I am yet to try. One day, one day.

EDC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 101 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 04:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For this I used Tamiya Flat Black enamel heavily thinned, as usual any comments or advice please. Have I gone too heavy or too light ?

Looks pretty good to me.
paultoz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 05:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Paul,
Sorry to hear about the decals especially since I had been eyeballing that kit. BTW nice job on your build and camo, what are the lines on the fuselage, kit details or your wash and if so how did you accomplish this it looks great. Again nice build.

Bob

Hi Bob,
the ICM kit is, well, a bit odd to me. It has a complete engine, but the nose is not designed to allow you to display it. You'll have to cut the nose parts up to create the right panels etc. The engine is in my spares box. Other than that and the decals it's a nice kit, including separate flaps and slats.
The lines you talk of, if they're the vertical ones on the sides of the fuselage are an oil wash. First a clear gloss, then a mix of black oil paint and turpentine in all the panel lines, wait about 15 mins and then wipe off with a dry cloth, leave 24 hours to dry and them clear flat on top. Always wipe the oil wash off in the direction of airflow or gravity.
Paul
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 07:12 PM UTC
Well, it's 2:10 a.m. Sunday morning I think I'll stop building for today. I got the wheels on and the decals are next to work on.

I lost the little weight balances on the underside of the wing, easy to do in 1/72 scale, so I made some out of small thin round styrene. Looks okay I think.

Hope to finish her tomorrow. Here, take a look. Russell

P.S. It never ceases to amaze me, as you get closer to finishing a model kit, it is like a rock, rolling down hill. It seems to pick up speed and you become more and more focused and lose track of time. Either that or I've been abducted by Grays and don't know it! Ha ha
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 08:06 PM UTC
@ Damian: really coming along nicely, wow the colors are vivid in the camo D.

@ Paul: thanks for the advice on the wash, I will try it on this build of mine.

Bob
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 02:31 AM UTC
Yesterdays work. Correcting overspray on back of canopy. MAsked and spray canopy and stuck the rear and forward canopy parts on.

Needs a bit of a panel wash. But this won't be heavily weathered as these 109s where only in Legion Condor for a short time.

I should do a base for this since the canopy will be open.

Anyone in Scotland want this once I'm done? I've no space for it. PM me.

I like that you can see the gunsight in these ones. Click on image for close-ups.
Legion Condor 109e Almost Done
Legion Condor 109e Almost Done

Slight damage to the top hat decal. I may remove it as I have a photo of 6.111 without it.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 04:27 AM UTC
@ Damian: That wash looks good to me too, nice and subtle, not too stark. One place that would benefit from a heavier treatment though, are the two shell ejector chutes for the fuselage MGs (in front of the fuel tank rack). As you haven't cut them open, a dark wash would give an impression of them being deeper than they really are.

@ Russel: I'll have to second the opions expressed already, that mottling looks nice indeed. I may be mistaken, but is that the head armour plate glued to the back wall of the cockpit? That should be attached inside the canopy.
That exhaust shield seems to extend a tad too far for the right side.

Some more progress on my 109. Nothing that drastic, but it's coming along.

After getting rid of that troublesome recessed ejector pin mark annoyingly placed right on the oleo strut, I added brake lines from copper wire and a couple of straps made from foil.

Even though I'm still not absolutely 100% certain on just which plane I want to make, I chose to use the upper nose piece with the welded gun troughs.

Before gluing it in place, I glued small pieces of styrene to have the Aires resin MG barrels I'm intending to use to sit at the same level as the kit parts, as they're a bit shorter.

Even though the fit of the upper nose piece to the fuselage is quite good, I'd prefer the way Hasegawa handled the nose in the F/early G kits, with the upper nose divided in two halves instead of a one piece glued to the top, as this way creates a horizontal seam line that isn't present on the real thing and has to be filled and sanded smooth.

Fortunately the seam only required a careful application of Mr. Surfacer and sanding to get rid of. And also some intermittent scribing to avoid losing the recessed detail on the area. Somewhat tedious, but much easier than to have to scribe all new lines.

And to close this update, here's the rudder at this moment.

The external trim tabs are removed, as is the moulded-on actuator for the center tab (a new one will be installed later). While I was at it, I also sanded off the slight ribbing, as the tall tails on the Finnish-operated 109s were of plywood and thus smooth.

:-H
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 04:41 AM UTC
Mark , your project is coming along very well so far .

Damian , nothing wrong with your wash at all , it's just right as is . I do agree with Eetu on adding a little more to the shell shuts and maybe a brown/black wash around the access panels .

Jaypee , another fine build indeed . If I lived in Scottland I would take you up on that offer ....

Eetu , excellent progress on your build . That is one thing which I never cared for is having injector pin marks on the landing gear struts ...some times they are in really hard places to clean up .

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 05:15 AM UTC
Well, got some decals on the girl today! I used FW-190 numbers on this Messerschmitt. I liked the yellow 10 and couldn't find any for a Messerschmitt 109. I think it looks fine.

Do I really want to put every, little, tiny, decal that Hasegawa provided for me on this kit though? My eyes are bad enough! Hope you enjoy looking. Russell

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 07:05 AM UTC
Well, I decided not to place every little decal that came with the kit on the model. You can't see them anyway unless you have a magnifying glass!! Here is the finished product. Enjoy. Russell

I could of done better with a better brush on painting the canopy. Oh well. Better luck next time!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 07:06 AM UTC
Hi Russell !

I would very much like to see your build , but all I see are those red X's .
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 07:28 AM UTC
Hi Terri. The photos appear fine from here. Don't know what the problem is? I wish I was a computer guru but I'm not. I can try loading them again. Russell
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 07:30 AM UTC

Hope everyone can see the photos now. Terri, I reloaded them onto the site. See if you can view them now. Russell

Folks, let me know if you can see the model or get boxes with red X's like Terri did. Thanks, RTA
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 07:33 AM UTC
Fantistic job JP, if I were in Scotland I would take you up on the offer and use your 109 for a guide.

Bob
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 12:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Damian: That wash looks good to me too, nice and subtle, not too stark. One place that would benefit from a heavier treatment though, are the two shell ejector chutes for the fuselage MGs (in front of the fuel tank rack). As you haven't cut them open, a dark wash would give an impression of them being deeper than they really are.

:-H

Thanks Eetu and Terri. I was wondering what those two ports were (remember I'm doing my first 109) and now it makes perfect sense. I will blacken both ports, and remember to open them up on my next build. I really appreciate your advice.

Cheers, D
werx07
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 12:32 PM UTC
Got the decals on. Now it's on the the weathering.

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 12:46 PM UTC
Very nice Jason , you did a fine job on the camo !

Russell , on your first set of pic's - still see the red X 's .

On the second try , they are fine . You did a fine job on your build as well . What scale is this again ?
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 12:50 PM UTC
Terri, thank you for you kind words. I build pretty much exclusively in 1/72. This is the Hasegawa 1/72 scale kit that I just finished.

Thought I would take a family photo. Three Me 109's together. Ready for action. Enjoy. Russell

P.S. Jason, fantastic work on your 109! Great job!
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 01:18 PM UTC
Siderius, nice airforce you have there.

Bob