Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official BF 109 Campaign
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 02:03 PM UTC
Well, you always find an error don't you? Ha ha. My red walkways on the wing were not put on properly. So I scraped them off, carefully, with some water and softening solution.
Found some red walkways from a Gotha 229 I had, cut them up and fit them on the wing right. Or at least closer! Russell

werx07
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 02:07 PM UTC
Much better. I didn't want to say anything when I first saw it. I'm glad you got it corrected.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 02:34 PM UTC
Thanks Jason. I've been building models all my life. You would of thought I would have caught that! Such an obvious mistake. Oh well. Again, your Messerschmitt is fantastic looking! Russell
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 02:50 PM UTC
Family photos improved! With the decals straightened out on the wing of the newest member! Russell

Can't believe one of you guys, or gals, didn't tell me I screwed up!
werx07
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 03:22 PM UTC
Your family of 109's look good Russel. I would have said something about the decal but I'm new here and I don't yet how people react to pointing out mistakes on this site.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 04:02 PM UTC
Glad to have you onboard Jason. What do you build? Mainly WW2? I want to build from all eras, but I have a hard time escaping the second world war aircraft! I think you'll find that people on here are, for the most part very polite and understanding. This is a great forum for aircraft modelers. Russell
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 06:16 PM UTC
@ Russell: that is still a nice airforce.

I have come to an impasse, this Airfix kit has taken the upper hand.

1. here is my feeble attempt at trying to apply some sort of dihedral.
Photobucket
2. notice how the wing matches the fillet
Photobucket
3. and the rear view
Photobucket
4. port side rearview from a nice distance so you cannot see the ugly seam and mismatch of the wing. PUTTY, PUTTY, PUTTY
Photobucket
5. OOPS! Too close, for my taste I am a good customer of Evergreen.
Photobucket

Well now school starts tomorrow for another round of accounting I may need to drop out of the campaign, lets see how it goes this first week Everyone here has built some really good a/c and I have learned much so see you on Monday.

Bob
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 07:23 PM UTC
I forgot this shot, and the Ibuprofen was used much on this build.
Photobucket

Bob
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 08:21 PM UTC
Thanks Bob. I'm sorry you are having trouble with your build. Some kits aren't designed to actually be built, they are just done so nice box art can be viewed! Yikes!
Did you say what kit it was? You may have and now I am the one who can't read. Russell
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 08:51 PM UTC
Bob, you're a trooper, keep plugging away at it. It might be a dog of a build but at the end the satisfaction of having it on display should be well worth it.

Cheers, D
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 09:05 PM UTC
@ Bigrip What kit is that. Not the new airfix 1/48? I've seen it built without anything like that gap.

@ Russell. Fair play for repairing the decal. As for the canopy framing. Invest in some Bare Metal Foil. It is a foolproof way of masking canopies, once my bugbear too. Really easy to use.
Just cover the whole canopy and burnish it down till you can see the outline of the frames. cut away the framing then paint.

Having seen lots of 109s here I think the Emil is still my favourite.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 02:22 AM UTC
I have been working on my Me 109 for some time now. It is a Jabo Me 109 used by the JG53 to bomb Malta. I will use the Airfix kit and some Kagero decals combined with the kit decals.

I believe the colours in the colour profile shown below are too light. Maybe the artist included some fading.

Here is a a pictorical update.

More to follow soon.

md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 03:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well now school starts tomorrow for another round of accounting I may need to drop out of the campaign,

Bob, relax, it's just accounting. Credits on the left, debits on the right, nothing to it.

I survived 3-4 semesters of it on the way to my MBA. You'll do alright.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 09:20 AM UTC
@ Jesper: Yep! it is the Airfix kit, here is the photo that I posted earlier in the thread. BTW Jesper your build is looking really nice.
Airfix Bf109F box

Bob
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 12:16 PM UTC
Very cool Jesper.

Nothing much happening here. But used the promodeller wash for the first time. As long as you give it a good shake and stir works great.

6.111 109e Condor Legion Promodeller wash
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 03:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

@ Damian: That wash looks good to me too, nice and subtle, not too stark. One place that would benefit from a heavier treatment though, are the two shell ejector chutes for the fuselage MGs (in front of the fuel tank rack). As you haven't cut them open, a dark wash would give an impression of them being deeper than they really are.

:-H

Thanks Eetu and Terri. I was wondering what those two ports were (remember I'm doing my first 109) and now it makes perfect sense. I will blacken both ports, and remember to open them up on my next build. I really appreciate your advice.

Cheers, D

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 05:43 PM UTC
Well, I finally have corrected my decal mistakes. First the wing walk decals were on wrong, then I noticed that the Balkenkreuz were too close to the fuselage. Sooo, a little softening solution and some scrapping with a toothpick took the decals off. I then put new decals on, correctly and shot a quick coat of flat finish over everythin! Yeah!!! It really is done now! No more modeling till all hours of the night. Sure, sure, just get enough sleep the next day before you start decaling! Russell

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 01:46 AM UTC
Excellent recovery Russell, a realy nice addition to your 109 family there !!

Cheers, D
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 04:05 AM UTC
Thank you Damian. Russell
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 09:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

@ Damian: That wash looks good to me too, nice and subtle, not too stark. One place that would benefit from a heavier treatment though, are the two shell ejector chutes for the fuselage MGs (in front of the fuel tank rack). As you haven't cut them open, a dark wash would give an impression of them being deeper than they really are.

:-H

Thanks Eetu and Terri. I was wondering what those two ports were (remember I'm doing my first 109) and now it makes perfect sense. I will blacken both ports, and remember to open them up on my next build. I really appreciate your advice.

Cheers, D

Exactly what I had in mind. Looks good!

Today I spent quite a while working with the RB Productions riveting tool, a needle, and a whole bunch of masking tape and got a great majority of the riveting done.

Dryfitting the wing assembly to the fuselage showed that the underside seam will be requiring some putty and sanding (no seam on the real thing at that spot), so I left the vicinity of the seam unriveted, to be treated after getting rid of that seam.

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 03:09 AM UTC
Very nice start on your build Bob . Hope the fit issue at the wing root doesn't beat you .

Russell , to be honest I didn't even notice thwing walk way decals were placed in the wrong postion . You have a good eye .

Jesper , wow what a start ! your alomost done your build ! camo looks good . Looking forward to the markings going on .

Eetu , you are a mad man ! excellent job on the riveting . looking forward to more of your build .

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 03:38 AM UTC
Hi all. I'm so close with this one I can almost taste it. Wheels are on, just a bit of detailing, some exhaust stains and dirtying up stuff, prop, canopy and aerial wires. I'm hoping to be done tomorrow night !!

Cheers, D
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 04:20 AM UTC
Good work D. Since I'm not a 109 guy either, what's that curb feeler on the port wing?
Matty_K
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 103 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 08:32 AM UTC
Very nice and inspiring work going on here!!!

I just enlisted to this campaign as there always is a good reason to build an 109. And picked the Academy kit of the Bf109D-1.

Despite the decals are printed quite well surprisingly (which is a matter of luck at „pre-cartograf-era“-Kits from Academy ), I will choose a RLM 70/71 over 65 splinter-scheme variant from a cutting edge decal sheet.

Cheers
Matty
werx07
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 12:49 PM UTC
Very nice work Damian. I've got a 1/32 Eduard E-3 that I might do for this campaign after seeing how well your 1/32 has turned out.

Weathering is complete. I used a some different washes and Tamiya weathering pastels. I also used Lifecolor Tensocrom paints and liked how they turned out with just brushing them on. I'll have to try airbrushing them sometime.