Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official Aces High Two Campaign Thread.
doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 153 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 06:47 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

That Hellcat is a Wildcat but thank's for your kind comment!

Nice looking Ju 88 you have there! how will you do the antenna mount on the rudder fin? Is there an extra part included?

See - all those dots are affecting my brain! Not even HobbyBoss could make a Wildcat kit that would be mistaken for a Hellcat...lol.

As for the antenna mount, I'm going to try brass rod and scrap PE. I'll have to drill it into the fin so it can bear the tension of the thread. Wish me luck!
doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 06:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@Tom: Its nice seeing that JU 88 build. How did it go together for you? I've heard its fussy and its kept me from pulling it off of the shelf (even though it looks so tempting).

Any particular difficulties?

Cinzano/Fred -
I had heard the same thing, but that didn't stop me from loading the stash with several kits (which begs the question - why do I buy more than one kit of a basic mold when I don't yet know if I enjoy building the kit?). This build forced me to finally crack one open and see.

The modular kit design doesn't lend itself to construction via subassemblies, because the subassemblies don't fit together well. If you go back a few pages, you'll see some under construction photos, but bottom line is that with some pre-planning all the reported defects were reduced within my personal tolerance. Actually, the worst bit was the fuselage panel lines that don't meet up side-to-side - because my rescribing skills need...sharpening.
BlackAce
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metropolitana de Santiago, Chile
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 09:09 AM UTC
Well. Hi to everybody, im completely new around aeroscale forum so Im gonna pressent myself. My name is Felipe. im 22years old, and im from a long and thin country called Chile

I really like, this webpage theres a lot of great build and articles, so i've decided myself and joined this campaing. one question, can i post 2 builds??
the first one wich i hope to end in this few days is an academy 1/72 P-51 C

i only have found one picture of the plane, wich doesnt show the five kill markings, i'll aprecciate some help

here is the progress on the weekend

well, i have just finished a p-51D (big beautifull doll) in flight stand. so im gonna post it here just in case (considering the high ace markings)

well, one last question i have to upload my photos to the campaing gallery right? just the ones of the finished model.

thanks to evereyone.
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 11:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

@Tom: Its nice seeing that JU 88 build. How did it go together for you? I've heard its fussy and its kept me from pulling it off of the shelf (even though it looks so tempting).

Any particular difficulties?

Cinzano/Fred -
I had heard the same thing, but that didn't stop me from loading the stash with several kits (which begs the question - why do I buy more than one kit of a basic mold when I don't yet know if I enjoy building the kit?). This build forced me to finally crack one open and see.

The modular kit design doesn't lend itself to construction via subassemblies, because the subassemblies don't fit together well. If you go back a few pages, you'll see some under construction photos, but bottom line is that with some pre-planning all the reported defects were reduced within my personal tolerance. Actually, the worst bit was the fuselage panel lines that don't meet up side-to-side - because my rescribing skills need...sharpening.

Nice pun!

Glad to hear it wasn't a total bear. Got 2 in the stash and I'm running out of excuses not to start one. I sympathize about the scribing challenge. I've yet to get past the most basic scribing touch ups and am nowhere near ready to re-scribe an entire raised panel kit.

Cheers,
Fred
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 10:47 PM UTC
So now I got it finished .. just in time for the campaign deadline. here is one picture:

the rest is in the BLOG: https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/158772&page=3

@Nige: I am a bit reluctant to post a pic of the original in the campaign gallery due to copyright issues. Could I do a composite and post that one instead?

all the best

Steffen
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 01:17 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments on my FW 190, guys. Appreciate it.

Tom, that is some impressive mottling! It looks fantastic. Looking forward to see more.

Felipe, welcome to the site. You can definitely post two builds on the same campaign, but only get one ribbon. Looking forward to see your work around the site in the future.

Nice bearcat, Steffen. Nice finish for the early war blue colour.

Final pictures of my FW 190 will be tomorrow or friday if everything works out with the weather.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 02:44 AM UTC
Hi Jesper

Quoted Text

really I am not sure what I should read from your comment? This is no early war Blue colour but ANA 623 for late war Navy a/c ... I think the bearcat thingie was a funny side comment on Tom's little slip, but I am not sure

anyway thanks for taking the time to comment

all the best

Steffen
doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 04:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

... I think the bearcat thingie was a funny side comment on Tom's little slip, but I am not sure

Steffen

Steffen - That's a great Tigercat. But where is the other engine?

But seriously, very nice work, and I enjoyed following your separate thread on the FM-2.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 04:38 AM UTC
I thought you might like that Tomcat
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 05:04 AM UTC
Felipe,

Nice start on the Academy P-51C. How is it going? I built their P-51B a few years age and really enjoyed it.

Nice finish on the D, whose kit is it?
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 05:26 PM UTC
Quick update on my build:

one last look at the cockpit before sealing it up:

...and after attaching the canopy and masking it, on went the sky bottom-side color and then the dark earth top-side color.

hopefully i can get the dark green and maybe the black port wing done tomorrow evening.
BlackAce
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 06:45 PM UTC
hello again.

thanks for the answers and the welcoming.
quick doubt,¿how many images of the models do i upload to the campaing gallery to make my participation "legal", and that ones are just of the completed model or i must put on progress work photos too???

well a little update from this days work

i wanted to made painted on stripes. i did it before of the metal paint beacause i was a bit afraid of masking metalizers , and dont want to use varmish over it beacuse it looses de metal finish, im still planing how to do it about the decals.

does anybody knows how does decals looks over MM Metalizer whit Meatalizer sealer, or i do need a gloss cote anyway (in addition to the metalizer sealer) to get them right and avoid the silvering??

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 08:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jesper

Quoted Text

really I am not sure what I should read from your comment? This is no early war Blue colour but ANA 623 for late war Navy a/c ... I think the bearcat thingie was a funny side comment on Tom's little slip, but I am not sure

anyway thanks for taking the time to comment

all the best

Steffen

Ha ha, actually I was being serious, but too many cats flying around. My mistake. Of course I meant Tom... I mean Wildcat.

To be honest the colour looked like the more dull early war colour compared to the darker more shiny dark blue for Hellcats. I am no expert at all, and I did not research my books for the colours on the Wildcat as I am away from my books at the moment. So I am not challenging the accuracy.

Anyway, whatever it is called, it is a nice bird and a good result.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 09:01 PM UTC
Here is my finished Fw 190A-8 flown by Walther Dahl, JG 300 in December 1944. He claimed 129 victories during the war with 45 of those being in the West. Ha was awarded the knight's Cross with Oak Leaves and survived the war.

The kit is Eduards Fw190A-8 profi pack. An excellent kit with much written about it already, so I will not go into any more detail than saying it is a great kit.

Thanks for a great run campaign, Nige. Cannot wait until Aces High III starts

Comments welcome

cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 01:41 AM UTC
Jesper, that looks really really nice.

I'm ready to pronounce my campaign entry completed. (upon clicking a few photos there are a few touch ups I'll execute, however, the bird is finished and photos have been uploaded to the gallery)

Cheers,
Fred
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 03:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

does anybody knows how does decals looks over MM Metalizer whit Meatalizer sealer, or i do need a gloss cote anyway (in addition to the metalizer sealer) to get them right and avoid the silvering??

decals go on just fine over the sealer, just get a good decal sovent to get them to nestle down well. clean up excess decal chemicles once dry then seal with another layer of the sealer.

in my earnest and very strong opinion, MM metalizers kinda suck (a lot!) though - my advice is to go with alclad - just don't use their black primer. use tamiya gloss black from either a bottle or a spray can (yes, alclad goes on fine over a lacquer base - just don't flood the the alclad on).

You can decal directly on top of the alclad, and if you dissolve the decal film thoroughly with a solvent like solveset, the carrier film blends in well with the alclad

in the following case, the decals on the fuselage are directly on top of the alclad with no sealer on top, and there was quite a lot of clear carrier film on some of them (like with the "C3" code):

doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 04:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Felipe-
That will be a nice bird when completed.
My take is that generally, a metal finish does not require gloss coat prior to decaling. My advice with MM Metalizer is to use several good coats of the sealer, otherwise it rubs off.

edit - And I agree with Vance, Alclad is much better (and also agree on his priming suggestion). I've also used Talon acrylics with success (www.hawkeyeshobbies.com). Sometimes MM Metalizer ends up grainy for me.

Good luck!
doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 04:13 AM UTC
Jesper - That is a very nice-looking Fw190. It didn't sound like it was too bad a build since you built it the way Eduard intended (opened up)

Fred - Good job on the Bf109D. Whose RLM 02 did you use?
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 - 03:56 AM UTC

some great builds guys !
Tom, ditto what Jesper said - some impressive mottling!
Jesper - great work !
Felipe, welcome to the site. Love those Academy P-51C kits - built a few of them..
Nice 'Cat Steffen !
..and yes Fred whose 02 did you use ? - I used White Ensign enamels on mine but didn't really like it...

..and declaring this one finished, although I still have to put an aerial on it, touch in the trim tabs and add a few more stencils.

A Battle of Britain E-3 flown by the Adjutant of I./JG52 Helmut Benneman who finished the war with about 90 vics- easy Tamiya build right ?.. err.. no .. I must be the most cack-handed modeller on this board as I managed to break off the gear legs (twice!), crack the canopy while polishing it (wish I hadn't bothered), snap the tailplane struts and then fog the windshield with thinners...oh and the Tamiya stencil decals shattered in the water. I need a drink ...

cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 - 05:58 AM UTC
Stellar Emil Neil (the mottling came out very nicely)

The RLM 02 is actually a Testors Model Master Acryl line. After spraying, I followed up the base coat with the 02 gray mixed with a couple of drops of black to highlight the panel lines. After a quick coat of basic 02 on top of that I went over the centers of all the panels with 02 mixed with a couple of drops of light gray.

Cheers,
Fred
BlackAce
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 - 06:02 PM UTC
First of all:
Jesper. wonderfull FW190
FalkeEins. great BF109
i really like them both

well thanks to everyone for the answer about the sealer. im gonna definitley try it. about the alclad, i ve always read the same, that is the best for BMF unfortunately nobody sells it over here in chile, so im thinking import it eventually, i really want to try it. i Do agree that MM metalizer are not the best, its finish is not too metalized for my taste, but im mixing them whit MM chrome silver, you can create different tones whit a gradual shiny finish depending the tones used. ill show pictures when its ready.

About the build:

Great disaster over here today. In the world cup Chile Lose 2-1 against spain, we still go to the next round but must play with brazil in order to keep advanzing .
congratulations to American, English, and German fellows that has also passed to the next round in the world cup.

well i made some mistakes in the p-51, some thinner jump over the plain when i was mixing a paint, catastrofic, eventually had to remove all the paint and start again, it almost end up in the trash.

well just greeteings to everybody by now. some pics soon.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 - 11:49 PM UTC
Great work everybody!
As the finishing date looms large the finished entries are coming in thick and fast.
Steffen, I don't think there will be any copywright issues so please post the photo in the gallery to qualify for the ribbon.
Blackace. the photo you posted in your first post is fine. It shows the actual aircraft and that is all thats needed.

The idea behind having to include a photo of the actual aircraft to qualify for a ribbon is to encourage the individual modeller to do a little research into the subject being modelling and by displaying the photo with the model then hopefully everyone will learn a little more about the entries and it also helps to emphasise the personal aspect of the aircraft being built.
While it is only neccessary to post one finished photo and one actual photo in the gallery to qualify for the ribbon, its fine to post more than one if you like.
So, with a few days left to go the bar at the officers club is now populated by the following "ACES"
CMOT70. Ilmari Juutilainen. Brewster
ATOPLU. Maj Carsons P-51D
TIGERBAIT.Richard Reynolds Seafire.
KEEPEROFSOULS2099. Richard Bong P-38
BLUEHEELER. Clive Caldwell Spitfire
AUSSIEREG. "Pat" Pattle's Gladiator
LAMPIE. Ralph Hofers P-51B
RED4. John Landers Big Beautiful Doll.
AIRGUNNER. Arthur "Darkie" Clowes. Hurricane
LITESPEED. Alexander Vracia Hellcat
SGTKJ. Walther Dahl. FW190
CINZANO. Werner Molders Me109

Still plenty of time to get your finished entries posted in the gallery and qualify for the ribbon.
Although the campaign WILL finish on time, anybody needing an extension is welcome.( Just PM me), and I will award the ribbons first chance I get after July 1st.
The gallery for posting your finished photos into is...............
ACES HIGH TWO GALLERY

Nige
Removed by original poster on 06/26/10 - 12:33:17 (GMT).
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 01:32 AM UTC
I did.

Harold Nathan Funk GM EAD FM-2 Wildcat

all the best

Steffen
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 09:24 AM UTC
Hi All!

Time for next update!

The build is rolling on…

All I had to do to take care of the joins, was a quick swipe with a sanding stick over all joins, done, neat and clean!

The elevators were simply pushed into the stabilizator, and the whole assembly was glued to the fuselage side.
I repeated the procedure for the other side, and made sure I secured the connecting rod with cement!
Everything lock itself in the correct position!

As you can see here, I got some ”drooping” of the rudder to simulate gravity.

Time to spend some time with the wings!
In reality, they are already done, as I have built them parallel with the fuselage, but it’s more logical to show them now.

We’ll start with the wheel wells; each consists of several pieces;

The wheel wells are glued to the bottom wing, as are the inner part of the wells.

When the wells are in place on both sides, I can add the wing spar to ensure I get the correct dihedral on the wings.

When the glue had set overnight, I could add all the hatches on both lower and upper wing half.
This moment was pure gluing the perfect fitting parts in the right slots, and went fast and painless.

The (almost completed) wing looks like this;

I left the ailerons, coolers and wing tips to be added later on.

Here you can see the ailerons, oil coolers and wing tips, together with the engine, that I built earlier.

The ailerons are simply pushed in place (took a great deal of strength), the flaps are glued in the ”UP” position, and the standard wing tips are glued in place.
Look, a Spitfire wing!

Here’s the almost completed wing (sans oil coolers) together with the fuselage and engine.

I took a great deal of dexterity and strength, but then I got that distinct ”Tamiya-click” when the wing just snapped into place!

I thought this was an ”impossible” join to get good, but Tamiya´s engineers have given this a hard, thorough thought, and once again ”Mission Impossible” had been executed!

The landing gears (that I built earlier) are simply pushed into place; the two wedges of plastic are screwed into place, locking the gear securely in place.
The wedge and screw are concealed by a removable little hatch, held in place by a small magnet.

If you wish, you can remove the hatch, unscrew the screw and remove the wedge and replace it with a retracted version of the gear, and show the model in “flying position” on the supplied stand!

Not an all too easy or fast operation, takes about 20minutes to do, but it works well.

Next, the engine was painted.

I painted the engine with Revell Antrazit, a very dark grey, almost black, and it was just perfect for this engine!
Then I followed up with a silver dry brush and a black wash, and then a bit more dry brushing with silver.

Here’s the engine, painted and ready, with the completed mounting frame and the screw to hold it together.

I panted the oil-cooler faces Alclad Aluminium, and gave them a musty black wash.

Then I had a hard time, trying to fit the engine in the frame without breaking anything.
The fit is perfect, but very tight so add some determination and dexterity!
But finally I had it in place!

Here you can see the screw holding the engine in place, which I secured with Loctite.

I painted the exhausts in my own mix, made up from Hull Red (Hu70), Antique Bronze (Hu171) and Aluminium (Hu56), and they were glued to the frame, and the frame was glued to the engine and bulkhead.
A completed Rolls-Royce Merlin engine;

The ”Power-egg” was glued to the engine bulkhead, and I used lots of superglue here!

Now we can enjoy the beautiful lines of the Spitfire!

More to come soon!

I realize that I misjudged the complexity and building time needed for this kit, and I won´t be done in time!

But keep an eye on this tread, she will be built and pics posted until the very end!

Cheers!

Stefan E