Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official Aces High Two Campaign Thread.
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 10:39 AM UTC
I'm in with a Fokker D7. Roden 1/72 with PART PE.

Not sure of the profile yet. There are two/three aces in the kit
options alone. May even do two as I got the old revell one too.

Can't get over the progress made already on this thread you folks have been
well busy.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 01:34 PM UTC
Well, this looks like a fun way to spend an hour or so !!

CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 03:47 PM UTC
All colours are on now. Tomorrow will be the laquer clear gloss ready for decals.

Eetu: the base colour for the black is Tamiya NATO Black. I just don't like using real black...it's just my feeling that models tend to look darker than they generally should. There is no actual panel line preshading- it's all done using post shading. The shading is actually quite thin and transparent...the laquer clear i use is quite strong and tends to melt the thin shading into the base colour somewhat. Also the water colour wash i use also tends to tint the colours to more "warmer" shades as well.

Tuomas: You could very well be correct about the colouring. I scanned the internet and looked at all different interpretations of Finnish aircraft models. They ranged from british dark green to almost pastel shaded greens. What i tried to emulate was something like the given FS number on the IPMS Stockholm colour charts- but a bit lighter. I don't know how close it will be in the end. We shall see with the end result i suppose! But one thing i always keep in mind about colours is that it is our brain that decodes the reflected light into a colour. So 10 different brains result in 10 slightly different colours. Probably none of us really has any colour right...it's like Dogs are colour blind, but the Dog doesn't know that!

Regardless of exact colours, Finnish camo was sure effective. Anyone that has played the flight simulator Il-2 series and tried to pick out low flying Finnish aircraft from above knows how good the camo is.

Andrew
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 03:48 PM UTC
Just finished P-38 for twin booms campaign and will be starting my BONGS beast shortly.Post pics soon. @D your engine is cool my friend time pays off in the end. @CMOT I think your plane looks great as for the color issue who cares It looks weathered.The other one looks factory fresh carry on good work my man.

Build On,
Justin
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 10:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello. The subject I would like to build for this campaign is the La-5 of Vladimir Dmitriyev of the 4 GIAP. I can't seem to find a photo of his bird but the colour profiles I've found, and the AML decals show it carried no kill markings. The references I've found indicate he had between 11 and 15 (depending on the source) victories including shared ones. Can I enter this in the campaign? I really like the toothy grin!

Hi Ryan.
Dmitiyev and his La-5 certainly falls within the campaign boundry, as all the references you've found so far would indicate that this particular Ace chose not to display his kill markings.
However, to qualify as an entry for this campaign it must be displayed in the gallery at the end along with a photo.

Quoted Text

To qualify for your campaign ribbon you must post a photo of the finished model in the campaign gallery along with a photograph of the real aircraft

Keep looking though, and if anybody finds a photo during their own research I'm sure they will pass it onto you.
Nige
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 11:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Andrew,
in this picture the camo looks good. In the earlier pictures you sent the black looked like (atleast on my monitor) RLM 74, but it was probably just the lightning. Keep modelling.
wrenchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Saskatchewan, Canada
KitMaker: 140 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 - 06:51 AM UTC
I found a pic of the pilot himself, does that count???
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 - 07:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I found a pic of the pilot himself, does that count???

Only if he is standing by his aircraft.

Nige
wrenchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Saskatchewan, Canada
KitMaker: 140 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 - 01:53 PM UTC
Well....look really close into his eyes. See that little gleam? That's gotta be his plane, right??!!

Ok,ok! I'll find something with a bit more documentation for the campaign! Can't blame a guy for tryin'. Lol
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 02:55 PM UTC
Heres some progress shots of what I finished today from start to finish.....First I tried A first for me and thought it came out good.Hasagawas kit does not come with a radio just a battery in the back so I scratch built one out of pc.of resin and wired everything up for the impending antenna idea I have.Then I painted,weathered,BMF,and flat coated throgh in a little PE and BAM here you go..

Hope you like it

Build On,
Justin
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 03:39 PM UTC
The Brewster B-239 is done. First model for 2010! It represents the aircraft that was flown by leading Finnish Ace WO Ilmari Juutilainen, Orange 4 of Lentolaivue 24. The pilots final tally of 94 kills includes 34 flying Brewsters, almost all of them in Orange 4. The aircraft represents it's state in late '42 just before receiving a winter distemper camoflage. In Feb '43 Juutilainen was posted to LeLv 34 on Bf109's where he score the remainder of his kills.

As for the kit, i'd have to rate it as the trickiest of the MPM produced models that i've built so far (it's in a Classic Airframe box but moulded by MPM). But it is good to have all the Brewster versions in 1/48 scale- Classic Airframes for the early version, Tamiya for the mid, and Special Hobby for the late version.

Ilmari Juutilainen in the middle sitting on his tailplane.

Orange 4 late '42

Andrew

CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 03:47 PM UTC
Is there a gallery for this campaign yet?
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 04:53 PM UTC
Justing, super neat job on the office there mate, love it.

Andrew, your Brewster is great, weathering and fading set it off nicely. How about posting a pic of the three together for us??

I think we need to set up a race between you two and Betheyn, apparently the reigning speed freak on Aeroscale !!

Cheers, D
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 10:20 PM UTC
Andrew, congratulations on not only a fabulous Brewster, but for providing a fine example of how to present an "Aces" entry.
What method did you use for the paint chipping?
Its obvious from the photos that you have got the UK's share of sunshine down there as well!!
The "Aces High 2" Gallery can be found HERE

My modelling room is in the middle of a complete makeover so I'm unable to get anything done of my P-51 (or anything else) at the moment. Talk about frustrating!!

Great work everybody.
Looks like Aces 2 is off to a fine start.
Who will be next to join Andrew in the Officers Club bar?
Nige
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 10:48 PM UTC
Thanks Nigel, the paint chipping in this case is done using a sharp silver pencil...it works quite well on the darker colours after the flat coat, and is quick and easy- something i always look for in a technique.

Great campaign idea too. I'll probably be back sometime before the end of the year as it seems half the subjects i do are aces aircraft anyway.

And yes, we are getting plenty of sunshine this time of year. It would be good if we could get the UK's share of rain as well to go with the sunshine.

Andrew
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 02:05 PM UTC
Wow Andrew, your Buffalo looks great! The shadeing and fading looks awsome. Really nice job!

I've made a start on my P-38. The cockpit is done and I'm currently working on the wheelwells.

Back to the bench.

Hermon
Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 04:08 PM UTC
Here's some progress on my Seafire from the last week or so

Here she is together ... the white ailerons are additions I had to make for them to fit flush

with paint

Hope to get to the upper surface tomorrow ... at least started on it anyway, This has been your typical SH kit ... somewhat ill-fitting in the office area which led to reduced dihedral of the wings. not hugely noticeable but ... had to shim the fuselage just in front of the wind screen which messed with the windscreen fit ... the small canopy behind the pilot is not tall enough so I have to figure out how to compensate for that ... frustrating but over all a fun build so far.
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 05:06 PM UTC
Allright heres a little update from I.Started over the last couple days with the landing gear bays heres a pic of the way they started...

Then I started drilling and bending music wire here,there,and everywhere O'my.....

Added extra Hydraulic box in the back and ran lines.Then I ran the line which will eventually be black and used masking tape for clamps on struts.Then buttoned it up and assembled everything I added some heat shrink on the turbo intake that will also be painted later..Hope you like....

@Hermon looking good man were ever able to salvage the one that took the dive?
@Andrew Nice finish on the weathering and congrats on your compleated build
@Tiger coming along nicely looks like a clean build.
Build On,
Justin

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 10:15 PM UTC
Hi all, a little update on the Gladiator. Engine is in after a lot of and filing and and re-gluing the exhaust pipes back on 6 times each.

But I'm okay now, and after all, that's why we love this hobby, isn't it

Cheers, D
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 10:31 PM UTC
Great progress everyone!
Looks like the "Twin Boom" campaign at the moment
Hopefully this time next week I can be working on my entry again once restoration of the "mancave" is complete.
Nige
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 09:23 AM UTC
Is it too late to join? I can't seem to find the "Enlist" button on the main campaign page.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 10:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it too late to join? I can't seem to find the "Enlist" button on the main campaign page.

Hi Dirk.
In theory, if you can build a model in 24 hours you can enlist right up to the final day of a campaign. The enlist button is only visible if you are logged in, which may be why you couldnt see it.
I've just checked and its definately there.
All the best,
Nige
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 12:25 PM UTC
I just fired up the new Operation System and Aeroscale was the first place I went so its a good possibility I wasn't signed in at the time. Thanks Nigel

I was thinking of doing the F4 Phantom (1/72) of Robin Olds or possibly a Navy Phantom. I have the model but I need to locate the decals first.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 01:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Brewster B-239 is done. First model for 2010!

Great work! One of the nicest models I've seen built from that kit. Your quick progress made it look so easy and effortless.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 01:39 PM UTC
Andrew, your Buffalo looks fantastic! I built that kit a couple of years ago and it frustrated me at every turn. You made it look simple and easy. Great job

Here is where my P-38 is at right now. I'll fix all the missed areas tonight and hopefully by tomorrow I can start preshading the panel lines.

Hermon