Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Twin Boom 2010 Official Campaign Thread
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 08:15 PM UTC
With the rest of the Swedes in this campaign offering all kinds of exotic twin-boom oddities I feel that I don't want to be left behind! I've put the Night Lightning back into the stash and out comes this:

I'll probably be able to start this one in a month, I'll have to finish something for the Italian campaign before the end of February!

Damian, time to update the list!

Magnus
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 01:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Damian, time to update the list!

Magnus

Magnus, consider it done my friend. I can't wait to see how this build goes for you, once again you've come up with a gem !!

Cheers, D
discordian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 239 posts
AeroScale: 95 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 08:13 AM UTC
Nice work so far!

I wrapped up my seaplane for that campaign so I'm ready to get moving on my Widow...
the interior anyway. I'm still waiting on the PE exterior details.
I know Roll Modeles is slow, but it's been over three weeks now. I could have gotten them directly from Eduard in this time.
Kickoff pics tonight to be posted tomorrow, perhaps.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 08:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Torsten,

Mine's a Revell box P-61 but with the 'Times a wastin' and 'Husslin Hussy' decals. I'm going for 'Times a wastin' coz it's a 'Black Widow' and I don't have an all black plane in my collection. When you say 'be aware of the gaps' you mean in the fit of this kit? I've read there are some issues and the other Rev/Mon kits I've finished (He-111, B-25, B-26) needed some work.
And it's not a tailsitter? Did you use weights? My kit (same as yours?) has a radar assembly in the nose that will have to go if weights are required :-)

Cheers
Simon

I guess you have the kit I have in my Monogram box (picture shows "Times a wastin'" shooting down a Ki-46 "Dinah"). Yes, in my kit(s) are also radars but I don't use them. My noses are full of small and heavy things together with some furniture glue. If you want to show the radar with an open nose you must use part 81 and stick it in the spiders butt

Yes,there are a few nasty gaps between wings and booms and between wings and fuselage. I will show some pics of that propably in the next days. Oh, and I have that old B-26 Marauder 1:48 kit 3 times in my pile. I love that cigarillo aircraft, beside the Do 217 it's my favourite bomber and I was quite sad when I first heard that they were scrapped by the hundreds shortly after the war ....

Happy modelling
Torsten
discordian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 01:55 AM UTC
Here's my kick off pics.
Still wiating on the exterior detail kit, though.

BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 08:30 AM UTC
Some process from my workbench. When I glued the wings at the fuselage of "The Spook" I had these nasty gaps on both sides ....

First I put clear tape around the gaps to save the rivets and panel lines ....

.... then I scrawled my filler in the gaps ....

.... now follows the rough sanding while the tape is sill on. Before I made the fine sanding I took the clear tape off. This is the result at the end. Maybe a little more fine sanding but I think it's okay this way ....

.... here is the finished work on the left side. On the underside I didn't use filler because the gaps are very small and look acceptable for me and are filled with glue.
Same procedure with "Lady Gen" in the next days ....

Ciao
Torsten
discordian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 09:53 AM UTC
I'll be looking forward to that, Torsten.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 10:04 AM UTC
Torsten, good work with dealing with those gaps and preserving the details. Thanks for posting the pics, no doubt they will be useful to quite a few of us with Widows underway or pending.

Keep up the great work, D
Pedro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 10:53 AM UTC
Torsten, looks like quite a bit of struggle with that gaps, well done!

In the meantime I got this:

and outta the bag:

Major components, up for paint:

Also got the main landing gear bays detailed and assembled, but photos will follow tomorrow.

Cheers
Greg
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 07:09 PM UTC
Scott! That is exactly the boxing I got for my thirteenth birthday in 1985! It never got finished though... If I remember it correctly fit is not that bad, the problems come from the fact that all the major parts are a bit rounded at the edges leaving huge gaps along the seams! And there is nothing to complain about when it comes to detail level, Monogram did great kits!

Magnus
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 09:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Scott! That is exactly the boxing I got for my thirteenth birthday in 1985! It never got finished though... If I remember it correctly fit is not that bad, the problems come from the fact that all the major parts are a bit rounded at the edges leaving huge gaps along the seams! And there is nothing to complain about when it comes to detail level, Monogram did great kits!

Magnus

I still have that exact boxing in the stash somewhere as well. I think I picked it up a couple of years a go at a show for £12. unfortunately every time I looked at it I seemed to get AMS with it so it kept going back into the stash
discordian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 12:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Magnus

I still have that exact boxing in the stash somewhere as well. I think I picked it up a couple of years a go at a show for £12. unfortunately every time I looked at it I seemed to get AMS with it so it kept going back into the stash

Yeah - I probably built at least 3 of them in the late 70's and early 80's.
A buddy at work was given a several old plane kits, but he's an armor-only guy right now so he gave them to me. This was in the stash, and just in time for this campaign.

Started on the interior last night...only problem so far was the floor piece is warped. I heated it up last night and set it in the fuselage for the pins to keep it straight. That ought to do it.

Magnus - for my 13th birthday I got the Lindberg Blue Devil Destroyer (Fletcher Class) kit. It still sits in my mom's basement nearly 30 years later. Missing a lot of pieces, but still recognizable. My local shop has one, and I'm often tempted... Maybe For my B-day this July as that will be exactly 30 years...
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 08:28 AM UTC
Thanks for your comments, guys!

Quoted Text

.... And there is nothing to complain about when it comes to detail level, Monogram did great kits!

Magnus

You are right, Magnus! I have here also the Monogram (Revell) kits of the F-84 F and F-86 D. The fitting is very good and you find hardly any better detailed ones of these kits in 1:48. And at least I also have nearly the complete bomber fleet of Monogram here, B-17, B-24, B-25 and B-26 (3 x). Only the B-29 is missing, because it's too big in 1:48 ....
The fitting of the Black Widows is not too bad either, there are just gaps and traps everywhere. But that's what this kit is known for since many years. But they will turn into beautiful ladys, I'm sure. At least it's the only quarter scale kit you can get of the P-61. And this campain gave me the kick to start building them finally, as I have them in my pile since a few years.

Happy modelling
Torsten

KrisMax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 01:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Simon, where in AUS are you??

Mate you will be overwhelmed with help and advice here. The guys and girls on the Kitmaker network are amazing and in the 8 months or so I have been here I have learned more skills than I had in the past 30 years !! So don't be shy about asking for help or asking how certain effects were achieved, it's usually much simpler than you think.

Cheers, and post some pics once you get firing.

D

Thanks Damien,

I'm in the northern suburbs of Brisbane, Queensland . Have lived here for 8 years, originally from Leicester in the UK so grew up on Airfix kits. Loving the Aussie way of life but still claiming Ashes bragging rights for the mother country!

Back to the Campaign, Magnus, judging by the box art, that is one beautiful looking plane you are modelling. There are so many great looking, lesser well known planes from WWII and I'd say the Fokker G-1 is one of them. Can't wait to see some pics of the build.

Torsten, You're making good progress on the P-61s. I'm about half way through the interior (not getting much modelling time at the moment) and hopefully will be glueing fuselage halves next week. Will post pics soon.
Yep, the radar in the nose will have to make way for weights. That'll save a bit of time
Thanks for the pics of the wing roots. I'll copy your use of clear tape to protect the detail when sanding. Thanks for the tip.

Simon
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 08:49 AM UTC
Some more work has been done this week beside sanding "The Spook". The lady got her stripes ....

.... stripes 1

.... stripes 2

.... and stripes 3

.... I just glued everything together and now she's hanging in the wires Another big monster!

At the moment it looks as if she's gonna be a TAILSITTER! Maybe I can add some more weight somewhere, just a little bit .... Any idea someone? Otherwise I have to put a small box under the open R/O entry. The nose of "The Spook" is a little bigger than this one.

Ciao
Torsten

PS. During my AUS tour (all around) in 1989/1990 I also spent some days in Brisbane, Simon. And I'm glad I could give you the tip with the clear tape.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 09:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

At the moment it looks as if she's gonna be a TAILSITTER! Maybe I can add some more weight somewhere, just a little bit .... Any idea someone?

you could try what I'm doing with my 1/72 P-61 (if it's not too late) I've discovered there a small gap between the back of the engine block and where the cowling attaches to the booms so i'm hoping to get some lead shot in that area. Hopefully I'll to get to that stage tomorrow so I'll post some pictures when I do.
Removed by original poster on 01/31/10 - 11:17:50 (GMT).
Bungal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 11:22 PM UTC
Hi All
CMR Venom is here.

The box is full of very well protected resin

The Eduard photo etch is tiny

I just hope the photos show ok. My first time posting photos.

More soon hopefully
Brian
Bungal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 11:25 PM UTC
Well now I know how to post pictures how do I make them bigger.

Brian
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 12:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well now I know how to post pictures how do I make them bigger.

Brian

By the looks of it you need to remove the word thumbs/ so instead of this.

http://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/thumbs/DPP_00034.JPG

You should get have this

http://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/DPP_00034.JPG

Which will result in

Personally I prefer to use Photobucket as you get more storage space and they automatically do the links with the img tags for you.

Hope this helps
Bungal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 12:32 AM UTC
Thanks Allen

Brian
This post was removed.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 06:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

you could try what I'm doing with my 1/72 P-61 (if it's not too late) I've discovered there a small gap between the back of the engine block and where the cowling attaches to the booms so i'm hoping to get some lead shot in that area. Hopefully I'll to get to that stage tomorrow so I'll post some pictures when I do.

Thanks for the tip Allen! Yes, I think I can manage a bit of weight through the main gear housing behind both engines. It needs just 2-3 gramms in total. I just tested the standing and if the nose gear stands in the correct angle the bird stays on all wheels. I will try it this evening. The next evenings are again full of fun with taping, filling and sanding the gaps between wings and fuselage. I'm so fed up with this but I hope this will be the last time to do that ....

Ciao
Torsten
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
AeroScale: 475 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 11:01 PM UTC
Heres my Flitzer a nice little kit from Revell,only a tiny bit of filler needed around the front gear bay and the rear fuselage

Weathers been crap at the mo,toooooo windy to prime with a rattle can outside
I have 4 builds awaiting primer!!!,can't spray indoors,smells too much and Mrs Torch don't like

More soon
Andy
KrisMax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 09:35 PM UTC
Hi everyone.
It looks like you have been too busy for modelling all week like me. Now the weekend's here and i'm hoping to make some progress on the P-61. I'll post some pics if I can work out how to.