Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Twin Boom 2010 Official Campaign Thread
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 02:13 PM UTC
Hiya Hermon

Quoted Text

I'll be starting my Cessna O-2a sometime tommorrow D.
At least I'll have plenty of room to display her when she's done.
BTW I'll be going with the high visibility scheme.

Hermon

Don't remind me man, I still cringe and ache for you when I see those photos. Anything you might need from me, say the word.

I'm still going with the dual build of O-2A's, one in black and one in camo.

Cheers, D
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 02:48 PM UTC
Well, after a 45 min search on the web for photos of the VFA-125 "Rough Raiders" paint scheme I've come up empty handed. The kit instructions (as I'm sure you'll attest D) have a color diagram for this aircraft but the colors are represented with TINY little dots and lines that I can't read.

This'll take more time than I thought.

Hermon
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 02:52 PM UTC
Never mind!

Here she is! Always wanted a pretty blue airplane.

Hermon
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 02:56 PM UTC
Alright D im ready to roll just cant do it until after midnight
all well take some sprue shots tonight start tomorrow

Build On,
Justin
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 04:17 PM UTC
Here I am cant wait till tomorrow testing some metelizer paint from testors on some scrap tonight trying to see what i can get away with never used the stuff before.....

Build On,
Justin
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
AeroScale: 475 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 05:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome Torchy and thanks for joining up. What have you got planned for us here?

Hi Damian,
Happy new year,I might try one of these by revell,Focke Wulf TL-Jäger "Flitzer",or a FOCKE WULF FW 189 A-1.any ideas about the quality of these kits?
Good luck with your 1st(of many we hope )campaign
Andy
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 12:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Damian,
Happy new year,I might try one of these by revell,Focke Wulf TL-Jäger "Flitzer",or a FOCKE WULF FW 189 A-1.any ideas about the quality of these kits?
Good luck with your 1st(of many we hope )campaign
Andy

Sorry Andy, I have no experience of either of those kits, but I do have my eye on the Flitzer that has been sitting at mt LHS for a while. I'm sure a few of the guys here will be able to give you some info, but either way they are great choices of aircraft for this campaign.

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 12:34 AM UTC
Ok, sprue shots for my guys . . .

Firstly the Heller 1/50 scale kit. 48 parts on 4 flat black and 1 clear sprue. Fine raised panel lines and no sink holes. There's a very small amount of flash on a couple of parts, and some very shallow ejector pin marks inside the cabin but since it will be all flat black they will never be seen and I won't try to fill them. One small decal sheet and one large instruction sheet.

Then the testors 1/48 scale kit. Same number of parts and sprues but very fine engraved panel lines. Optional parts for the O-2B which I will be building here. Significant flash on one sprue but it is very thin and will carve off easily. Ejector pin marks on the underside of the rear stabilizer that will need attention. but all others are hidden. One sheet of decals and as is usual for Testors a volume on model building and weathering as an instruction sheet.

I will accurately measure both when finished and see if there is any real difference in dimensions between the declared scales.

Now, I need some help. The following shot shows a tri-colour camo scheme, does anybody know the actual colours used for this scheme. Being a WW2 builder usually I'm not up to speed with Vietnam camo colours.

Skymaster Camo

Cheers, D
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 03:57 AM UTC
Damian, dunno exactly what scheme your bird is. The normal Viet-Nam color scheme was two greens and 1 brown....light green, dark green, and a tan color. I can look them up if you like. Yours is two browns and one green....the exact opposite.

I've gotten a start on O2-A. First a sprue shot. Second pic is the interior. Not much detail...and man is this plane TINY. It's gonna take twice as long to tape off and paint the color scheme than to build the kit. 9MM bullet in nose is optional.

Have to do the whole New Years thing with all the relatives today and I have to go back to work Monday so I'm gonna try and knock out the building part of this kit before then. It'll take a couple of weeks to get the paint done up right.

Hermon
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 04:03 AM UTC
Cuda i used .45's in my PBY for the seaplanes campaign they work good for weight and it dosnt take many......

Build On,
Justin
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 07:14 AM UTC
First, happy new year everyone! May we all have enough glue in the house to build our 2010 kits ....
Well Damian, do I really have to mention what kit I will build for the Boom Boom Campain? Have a guess! My name is my programm ....
Actually I will try to build 2 of these old 1:48 Monogram kits of the P-61 (one original Monogram, the other in the Revell box). The first will defenitly be "The Spook", one of the most colourful nose arts of all Widows (look at my avatar) and the other one I hope to finish "Lady Gen". I think it's quite interresting to see the differences between a P-61 A and a P-61 B, especially when one is in OD/NG with no turret (a so called "Olive Widow" ), while the other one is the only real Black Widow.
Fortunatly I have finished my two Hellcats yesterday, so I might start with both beauties today ....

Ciao
Torsten
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 10:19 AM UTC
G'day Torsten, and you are speaking my language now. The P-61 is my all-time favorite aircraft, I am building the old Revell box of "Lady in the Dark" for the Pin-Ups Campaign. I also have 2 of the newer boxings in the stash in 1/48, and I've heard some very good reports abouth the 1/72 Dragon kit as well. Discordian, hkopper and Tomcat31 are all looking to do the P-61 in this campaign as well.

You guys should LOVE the little ribbon I made up for this campaign as well then.

I'm REALLY looking forward to watching your builds here guys, so lots of progress shots PLEASE !!

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 10:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Damian, dunno exactly what scheme your bird is. The normal Viet-Nam color scheme was two greens and 1 brown....light green, dark green, and a tan color. I can look them up if you like. Yours is two browns and one green....the exact opposite.

Did some Googling (gotta love it) and found some info, FS34079 Dark Green, FS34102 Medium Green, FS30219 Tan and FS36622 Light Grey. Now I just have to work out the Tamiya Acrylic equivalents and I'm in business.

Cheers, D
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 01:49 PM UTC
Finished my cockpit today got a lot done......

Wired everything and have it sitting in the fuselage now more work tomorrow got a good start.

Build On,
Justin
discordian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 239 posts
AeroScale: 95 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 12:54 AM UTC
I'm going to finish up my seaplane before starting my Black Widow... but I did order one of the Aeromaster decal sets last night - the "nightie mission", "moon happy", and "Jap-Betty" set.

Still need the Eduard Exterior detail set...
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 03:53 AM UTC
There you have some great choices, Scott! Olive Widows (though I prefer the black ones) with really colourful nose arts. How will you manage the clear nose? The Monogram kit has only solid black parts. Is there something in the aftermarket? Or do you paint it just white as it was used to through all the years?

Ciao
Torsten
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 10:47 AM UTC
Hi Torsten,

Quoted Text

There you have some great choices, Scott! Olive Widows (though I prefer the black ones) with really colourful nose arts. How will you manage the clear nose? The Monogram kit has only solid black parts. Is there something in the aftermarket? Or do you paint it just white as it was used to through all the years?

Ciao
Torsten

Steffen (alpha_tango) posted this one in the "Posman" thread a while back (about half way down Page 28 of that thread).

I'm very jealous of you guys as this type of item is not readily available here in Australia.

Cheers, D
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 11:53 AM UTC
Well, since you're doing the same kit....or kits...as me Damian, I hope filler putty is readily available in Australia. So far I've used about 100 kilos on my O2-A. Gotta hand it to Testers, they really "test" a modelers abilities.

Hermon
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 12:01 PM UTC
Progress Report guys, got the wings and booms together, no issues there so far !!

Also got the interiors together. The Heller kit (bottom) has a full quota of seats and a rear firewall as expected, but . . . . .

The Testors kit has only 2 rows of seats and no rear firewall to protect the passengers from the rear engine, and that's not there either !!

I will scratchbuild a rear firewall and some cargo to fill the area behind the rear seats.

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 12:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, since you're doing the same kit....or kits...as me Damian, I hope filler putty is readily available in Australia. So far I've used about 100 kilos on my O2-A. Gotta hand it to Testers, they really "test" a modelers abilities.

Hermon

G'day Hermon, as you can see I'm still fluffing around the interiors. Where are the problem areas on yours? I think you must be much further along than me !!

Cheers, D
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 12:43 PM UTC
Damian, heres one area that will have to be filled. A few other minor places also.

Not really a HUGE problem but the raised rivets will make it a real "treat" to work around.

Hermon
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 01:10 PM UTC
Heres some progress from today.top pic is the stock pc.....

This is the modified pc. put in hydraulic lines and ran line down wheel strut and used masking tape for band on brake line.Arrow shows where i cut out stock pc. and made into tube to make it look more like the inlet.

More to come tomorrow....

Build On,
Justin
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 01:33 PM UTC
Justin, man you're a machine ! Great detail in the office and very neat hydraulics in the wheel tubs. Keep the pics coming mate, please.

Cheers, D
Bungal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 12:45 AM UTC
Hi all
I am in.
I plan to do a DH Venom Mk1R see link.
http://www.cmrmodels.co.uk/cmr-205/de-havilland-venom-mk1r.html
This will be my first campaign and my first resin kit, wish me luck.
I will be getting the kit in a couple of weeks.

Brian
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 12:58 AM UTC
G'day Brian. Thanks for joining up, Roll Call has been updated to show your planned build. A full resin kit and a great choice.

As I've asked before, please post heaps of progress pics and notes on techniques. I'm here to learn as I'm sure a few others are as well.

Cheers mate, and good luck with your build.

Damian