Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Twin Boom 2010 Official Campaign Thread
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 01:17 PM UTC
very nice paint work D

Build On,
Justin
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 04:14 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind words, I'm really enjoying learning how to use the airbrush, it's a Paasche Single Action, but I'm a first-time user and reading lots and going very slowly.

Quoted Text

@Damian
your bird looks really nice. You're fast, man! You have nearly finished while I'm still sitting here filling, sanding, filling, sanding, fi ....

Happy modelling
Torsten

Torsten, my 2 Cessnas joined together would barely match 1 of your P-61's for sheer bulk, and it sounds like you have some more gap issues than I had. I suppose I'll find out shortly

Keep up the great work, and keep those pics coming !!

Cheers all, D
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 529 posts
AeroScale: 340 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 02:11 AM UTC
Well, I finally was able to get some bench time and start my contribution for the campaign. This one is taking me out of my comfort zone for I have not build anything in the tiny 1:72 scale (used to 1:48). I for one have a new found respect for those that build in this scale because it is tough especially with the details. For the campaign, I decided to build a P-61 Black Widow and below are pix of my progress with the interior of the plane (I took the pix along with a cotton cleaner (Q-Tip here in the states) to illustrate the scale):

Thanks for watching,

Hermann
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 07:30 AM UTC
Blimey Hermon you've nearly caught up with me. Which markings are you planning on as I'm thinking of doing the "Lady of the Dark"

Word to the wise... be care of the left hand side of the instrument panel as they tell you to bend it up slightly but it won't fit into the fuselage halves if you do (I accidentally snapped the green bit off test fitting).

Here's the progress of mine.

Hopefully once I find some needles to replace the gun barrels I can close up the fuselage.

As always comments are welcomed
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 09:28 AM UTC
Thanks Allen for the comments and for the heads up!
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 10:24 AM UTC
Look what I got!

I'll probably go for these markings (I've always liked the doggie)!

Cheers! // PolarBear

Ps. Great start on the campaign, btw! Lot's of interesting builds!
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 10:11 PM UTC
Bjorn, excellent work my friend. The J 21 is a stunning bird and I can't wait to see your progress and how you finish it. Fire it up and keep us posted

A little progress at my end. Boom Boom Skymaster 1 (Heller) has paint, future, decals, and is ready for a top coat of future and the final few add-ons. Boom Boom Skymaster 2 (Testors) is ready for decals which should go on tonight. Bad news is I have 2 tail-sitters despite the lead i put in the noses. But I have a cunning plan, I will scratch build 2 A-frame ladders that will conveniently sit just under the rear spinners and hold the tail up while actually appearing to belong there for maintenance reasons. That's the plan, anyway

By the way, I'm going to take some liberties with the markings and armament on #2, I'm just tickled by the idea of having a Cessna with rocket pods and rail launchers

How is everybody else progressing ?

Cheers all and happy modelling, D
Pedro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 12:39 AM UTC
Hi all,
Excellent progress everybody, wow you guys are fast!

@ Torsten, I hear you about the Academy decals! I remember they were real PIA to put on When I dealt with them on some armor models. Silvered even when put on a wet warnish

@Damian, about the tailsitting, have you considered putting the planes on some simple bases? that way you could secure kits wheels wit small pins to the base, to avoid the tailsitting, no hands, no ladders

@Allen and Hermann, those P-61s are really well detailed, hard to belive all those details came from the box?

@Bjorn, I remember building this Saab when I was a kid, no paint, just slapped together and threw the decals on. It was in a newer box and that was like 15 years ago, so yours must be pretty vintage? Anyway, I also remember that its really nicely detailed and good fit for such old tooling

About the version I'll build, guys, I'm sorry but I'll stick with fighter option. I have ordered a book with color profiles and decal sheet for P38s, and will definitely use one of those. I will let you know which scheme I'll go for when the book arrives.
On to some photos:

I'm building this kit:

A bit of production /transport mishaps (the broken prop. axle wasn't even around in the celophane bag) :

Started toying with intercooler? housings, thinning walls a little bit:

inlet framing in place, there's one seam too many:

filled a bit of the rear portion opening with some styrene to resemble the real thing a tad...

...four times

Nose piece together, fit here wasn't great, had to use a little borrowed force to glue it properly and reinforce the half frame join with some styrene:

Greg
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 01:04 AM UTC
Hi Greg,

Quoted Text

@Damian, about the tailsitting, have you considered putting the planes on some simple bases? that way you could secure kits wheels wit small pins to the base, to avoid the tailsitting, no hands, no ladders

Greg

I was thinking about a small concrete runway base for the pair to sit on, and as you said pin the front wheels down. I will get them completed and see how I'm going for time.

Great start on the Lightning, keep those pics coming !!

Cheers, D
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 06:51 AM UTC
Managed to join the fuselage and the wings. Fuselage joined fine but the wings, mainly the right one left a wide gap (heads up Allen). I'll have apply quite a bit of filler and do some major sanding to remedy. I'll post some pix in the near future of the progress.
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 08:16 AM UTC

Hi all!

As there’s already several P-61 Black Widows in this campaign, and I still need some parts for my build, I decided to build another twin-boom aircraft, the OV-10A Bronco instead.

The kit is the old, old Testors offering in 1/48th scale from the -70´s, unbelievable none have done a decent 48th scale kit yet!

When you look at the few, simple parts in the tray-style box, it’s easy to dismiss the kit as unbuildable!

The details are raised and rather crude and the kit are festooned with rivets.

The kit decals are acceptable but not more, and the two options are not what I wanted for my pony!

Not a very fun kit, but it’s a starting point!

Enter the Paragon Design conversion set!

This neat little box contains almost a completely new kit in resin!

You get a massive, new wing, with the correct spacing between the booms!
The original wing is too narrow between the booms, so the props can’t even turn!

Moore goodies; a new, wider tail plane, new and correct rudders, wheels, a beautifully cast interior tub (complete with seats!), instrument panel, sticks, exhausts and some small details.

You also get an etched fret with some useful details.

As the kit decals was so bad and bland, I got me a new set from Cutting Edge, much, much better!

This is my pony;

My mount will be “Lois Little II”, an OV-10A from 20th TASS USAF, based in Vietnam.

Never could resist a shark-mouthed aircraft!

It will be a real challenge to get a decent replica out of this, but It can be done, and I love the "Flying Chainsaw" as It was nicknamed!

Cheers!

Stefan E

Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 10:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How is everybody else progressing ?

Unfortunately Camogirl will have to take a break (pardon the pun) from the campaign and my build will also be hampered with the frequent trips to the hospital.

See HERE for more info
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 04:36 PM UTC
Stefan, great choice, even though I love the Widows, this gives more diversity, and the Bronco is a mean looking little unit (sort of angry Skymaster on steroids looking) !!

Allen, I'm sure you wouldn't get too many objections to the noise of the airbrush in Hospital, worth a try anyway

Cheers all, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 02:18 AM UTC
Hi again, Skymaster Heller is FINISHED !!

and Skymaster Testors has decals and future, just fiddly add-ons to go now . .

Cheers, D
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 04:04 AM UTC
Very nice builds, Damian! Although I'm the Black Widow I would prefer the camouflage aircraft this time. Well done, mate!
Oh btw, I'm still sanding .....

Happy modelling
Torsten
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 05:03 AM UTC
Great job Damian
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 02:54 PM UTC
Nice finish D the camo scheme came out brilliant good job

Build On,
Justin
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 12:50 AM UTC
Thanks guys, I'm happy with the way they have turned out so far, and I should have the Testors kit finished tonight. Then I can sit back and enjoy watching you guys and keep on learning !! Apart from leading the Aluminium Campaign, getting on with my builds for the Aces High II and Seaplanes Campaigns, and getting ready for the 6 more I'm enlisted in that is !!

I would also like to extend a big welcome to another Aussie. KrisMax (Simon) has just joined Aeroscale and enlisted in this Campaign as his first build with a 1/48 P-61 from Revell.

Thanks so much for joining us Simon, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress pics. I've said it before, but the P-61 is my favorite aircraft, and I have 3 of the 1/48 kits in the stash. I'm just skilling up a bit (maybe a lot) before I tackle them.

And we also have another new enlistee dobon68 (David), bringing us to 34 ! Welcome David, and what plastic goodness are you bringing to the party ?

Anyway, keep at it you lot, and keep us posted on your builds.

Cheers, D
Pedro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 02:20 AM UTC
Damian, I too like the camouflaged cessna better Looks more interesting, and I belive this kit has realy nicer surface detail.

I got this book with decals for my Lightning:

Right now I have a hard time, deciding which I want to model.
I'd go for the California Cutie, but as Sam is already doing this one. I'll probably choose Charlcie Jeanne in NMF, this scheme also has that rather colorful Bunyip in yellow circle on the right side of the nose. Only con for this aircraft is that I'm not sure if I would like to tackle NMF finish right now. The other option would be to build the Jack in OD/Neutral Grey finish.

Cheers
Greg
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 10:36 AM UTC
I'm sure no one would mind having two California Cuties in the campaign?

After all we've got plenty of P-61's that'll all look the same
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 01:53 PM UTC
Hi Greg, Allen is spot on . .

Quoted Text

I'm sure no one would mind having two California Cuties in the campaign?

After all we've got plenty of P-61's that'll all look the same

and as Campaign Leader I hereby ORDER you to build whatever you want !!

, D
Pedro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 11:31 PM UTC
Well Damian, Allen, this dillemma got solved almost by itself ... I checked what P-38s versions those markings are for AND most of them incl.
California Cutie are for different J's- J-10, J-15, one is for G and one for an L...
Soooo, the one that fits the Academy kit is Charlcie Jeanne as it ocoured to me recently that the kit I have is actually a straight L and not J as stated on the box. As I have no intentions of backdating this L to an earlier J (J-10 for California Cutie) I'll go with Charlcie Jeanne

Cheers
Greg
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 09:19 AM UTC
Today I got pretty far with my Widows At "The Spook" I installed the 2nd engine, taped the red cowling flaps AND just glued wings/booms, stabalizer and fuselage together! What a monster! And no tailsitter! But there are still big gaps to be filled between fuselage and wings ....
"Lady Gen" has still some way to go before wedding. First the bride gets her D-Day-Stripes. White came on today. I'm really satisfied with my work today. Sorry, no photos at the moment.

@Simon
What P-61 are you planning to build? Is there a different decal sheet in your Revell box? In mine are 3 versions, "Lady Gen", "The Spook" and "Lady in the dark", in my Monogram box are "Times a wastin'" and "Husslin' Hussy". Be aware of the gaps!

Happy modelling
Torsten
KrisMax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 06:26 PM UTC
Hi Damien and all the boom boom campaigners. javascript:PasteSmiley(':-H')This is all new to me (forums and campaigns) but I'm really looking forward to the build. I returned to modelling three years ago after a 20 year layoff (destroyed my previous collection with fire crackers in early-teens). So far I've built WWII planes with the odd bit of armour thrown in. Still learning the art of airbrushing and, like most of you I'm sure, experimenting with new materials/techniques with each build.

Quoted Text

Today I got pretty far with my Widows At "The Spook" I installed the 2nd engine, taped the red cowling flaps AND just glued wings/booms, stabalizer and fuselage together! What a monster! And no tailsitter! But there are still big gaps to be filled between fuselage and wings ....
"Lady Gen" has still some way to go before wedding. First the bride gets her D-Day-Stripes. White came on today. I'm really satisfied with my work today. Sorry, no photos at the moment.

@Simon
What P-61 are you planning to build? Is there a different decal sheet in your Revell box? In mine are 3 versions, "Lady Gen", "The Spook" and "Lady in the dark", in my Monogram box are "Times a wastin'" and "Husslin' Hussy". Be aware of the gaps!

Happy modelling
Torsten

Hi Torsten,

Mine's a Revell box P-61 but with the 'Times a wastin' and 'Husslin Hussy' decals. I'm going for 'Times a wastin' coz it's a 'Black Widow' and I don't have an all black plane in my collection. When you say 'be aware of the gaps' you mean in the fit of this kit? I've read there are some issues and the other Rev/Mon kits I've finished (He-111, B-25, B-26) needed some work.
And it's not a tailsitter? Did you use weights? My kit (same as yours?) has a radar assembly in the nose that will have to go if weights are required :-)

Cheers
Simon
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 06:39 PM UTC
Hi Simon, where in AUS are you??

Mate you will be overwhelmed with help and advice here. The guys and girls on the Kitmaker network are amazing and in the 8 months or so I have been here I have learned more skills than I had in the past 30 years !! So don't be shy about asking for help or asking how certain effects were achieved, it's usually much simpler than you think.

Cheers, and post some pics once you get firing.

D