Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Twin Boom 2010 Official Campaign Thread
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 - 10:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

what is the record for the fastest build?

Andy's build can be anywhere between 24 hours to 3 days when it come to a speed build.

It takes me that long to read the instructions and check the sprues, and even then I still manage to to get tangled up on most occasions !

Steffen, thanks for the teaser, I'm looking forward to seeing your work.

Magnus, are you going to be true to form and attempt to assemble the "unassemblable" ??

Cheers all, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 04:57 PM UTC
Well real life has been in the way of my modelling for a few days, but I should get some time in this weekend.

We now have 32 enlisted !! Newcomers are Pedro (Grzegorz) and RudolfFilip (Andreas), welcome aboard guys, what do you have in store for us ??

, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 04:59 PM UTC
Hi Russell

Quoted Text

Great work Justin. Man you're fast. Got to love that P-38, I'm thinking of doing one in 72 scale and joining this campaign too. Again, great job. Russell

Don't be shy, sign her up and get cracking !!
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 10:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Magnus, are you going to be true to form and attempt to assemble the "unassemblable" ??

Cheers all, D

Rather mainstream for being me this time: the Dragon 1/72 Night Lightning! I am tempted to start it right now due to this thread boiling over with enthusiasm and interesting postings but I'll have to wait a bit!

Magnus
Pedro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 05:00 AM UTC
Hi all!
I hoped to post when I would have the kit I'll build on hand, but since I have been caled out to the blackboard ...

I've had built quite a few aeroplane kits in my pre and early teens but switched almost entierly to armour more than 10 years ago. The reason I've enlisted in your campaign is that I simply LOVE the P-38 Lightning. It just looks awesome, and it is THE thing that spawned the tailfins of American cars in the late 40's and 50's

So, I will definitely add another Lightning to the mix. Against my display space limitations I ordered a 1:48 Academy P38J at my LHS. It should arrive tommorow, BUT if it doesen't I'll probably go with F-5E in 1:48 which they have on hand or even more likely some armed version in 1:72 (I hate them planes unarmed ).

Cheers,
Grzegorz
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 08:33 AM UTC
Hi Grzegorz, and welcome back to the world of Wingy-Thingys. The P-38 is perfect for this campaign and I would love to see your work on the Academy kit, Keep us posted on your progress.

Quoted Text

Hi all!
I hoped to post when I would have the kit I'll build on hand, but since I have been caled out to the blackboard ...

I've had built quite a few aeroplane kits in my pre and early teens but switched almost entierly to armour more than 10 years ago. The reason I've enlisted in your campaign is that I simply LOVE the P-38 Lightning. It just looks awesome, and it is THE thing that spawned the tailfins of American cars in the late 40's and 50's

So, I will definitely add another Lightning to the mix. Against my display space limitations I ordered a 1:48 Academy P38J at my LHS. It should arrive tommorow, BUT if it doesen't I'll probably go with F-5E in 1:48 which they have on hand or even more likely some armed version in 1:72 (I hate them planes unarmed ).

Cheers,
Grzegorz

Cheers, D
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 09:10 AM UTC
OK D, here is my finished entry. I made a few small mistakes with the decals as you'll see but overall the kit turned out pretty nice. It'll sure look good in the display cabinet (with new improved nonslip shelves ). Gotta be one of the most colorful birds I've built.

Great campaign BTW Damian! Thanks for lookin' everyone.

Hermon
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 09:22 AM UTC
Hi Hermon.

Quoted Text

OK D, here is my finished entry. I made a few small mistakes with the decals as you'll see but overall the kit turned out pretty nice. It'll sure look good in the display cabinet (with new improved nonslip shelves ). Gotta be one of the most colorful birds I've built.

Great campaign BTW Damian! Thanks for lookin' everyone.

Hermon

Super job, I love the scheme. Did you use sprue or wire for the antennae?

Thanks for sharing your work, and thanks for helping make my first campaign idea a success. Here's to many more (hopefully with us doing DIFFERENT kits, but who knows?)

Cheers, D
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 01:52 PM UTC
good job hermon better bolt those shelves down with concrete.good color combo it came out nice did you have the same canopy fit issue that auss had?

Build On,
Justin
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 03:36 PM UTC

Love it, Hermon!!

Mark
Pedro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 10:46 PM UTC
Briliant colours Hermon, looking good! Are you gonna blacken the air intakes, should look even better?

Mine Academy P-38 has arrived, looks to be HUGE by my 1:35 tank standards I also ordered
True Details cockpit for it and most likely will order TD wheels for it too. As this is a 4in1 boxing
I still think I'll do the P-38 J, but the P-38 L Pathfinder looks also interesting
Right now I'm planning to use the kits decals, unless I'll find some interesting aftermarket
option in the meantime? Will post some pics after the weekend

Cheers,
Greg
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 11:13 PM UTC
Yes, I'm still here I had my first week working again this year, so only time for modelling in the evenings. Got some pieces together but it's still a long way to go (not only to Tipperary ) ....

Lots of stuff on the workbench now, 2 fuselages, 4 booms, 4 wings and 2 stabilazors. Still a lot of sanding to do .... There are big gaps between booms and wings and between wings and fuselage. I guess I will need 1 kilo of filler or so .... With 31 x 42 cm they will become quite big birds.

Yes, it's a pretty old kit. This is on the inside of the Monogram stabs, Revell has blackend out "1974" and "China". Crazy folks!

More fun to do in the next time .... So don't worry if you don't hear much from me in the next weeks, I'm still here but busy working on Widows

@Hermon
Nice aircraft you have built there. Very colourfull, have never heard of it before.

@Grzegorz
I would prefer a P-38 Pathfinder (have it also still on my pile), as most others build it as a fighter. Hope you don't have problems with the Academy decals. Usually they are not of good quality from this company, especially when they are a bit older.

Happy modelling
Torsten
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 12:20 AM UTC
Hi Torsten, the Widows are coming along nicely. I can't wait to get stuck into one of my 3 for the Pin-Ups Campaign.

Grzegorz, I'm with Torsten, go with the Pathfinder, it's an uncommon build and would look great in the Gallery here (not that the "J" wouldn't either !!). Looking forward to your first pics for this build.

Both of O-2A's will get a coat of paint tomorrow. They are puttied and sanded and masked and ready to go. I will post some pics once the first coat is on for your viewing pleasure.

Cheers, D
Blueheeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 09:45 AM UTC
You turned out a very nice bird there Hermon; well done!
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 10:56 AM UTC
Hopefully will be ready to close the fuselage up tomorrow fingers tightly crossed I'll try and get some pics of the interior before that but if I dont get any done don't worry you are not missing anything spectacular Im doing this as a quick(ish) fun build to give me a break from the serious competition and review side of things
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 10:28 PM UTC
Good evening, this is your Captain speaking . . .

Sam, Glad to see you fire your build up, looking fwd to some pics.

Had some time today juggling 5 kits for 4 campaigns, and got some paint on my Cessnas. The Testors kit got the Light Grey underside and was then masked ready for the Tan that will be the base for the tri-colour camo topside. The Heller kit got 3 coats of Black all round.

More soon, Captain out . .
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 08:29 AM UTC
Pics as promised got further than I thought I would today. I think with the amount of weight I have put in it there is no way it will tail sit. I am beginning to wonder if the legs will hold up though

Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 08:50 AM UTC
Really i should have continued finishing the kits i have on the go at the moment but I could wait to get started on my Dragon P-61.

First the cockpit part were painted with Tamiya XF-5 Flat Green

Then detail painting and adding the photo etch that came with kit followed. Once I was happy I gave the part a quick coat of Klear ready for a quick wash.

Work has also started on the Quickboost engines

As always comments are welcomed
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 09:23 AM UTC
@Damian - The antennae are thin copper wire.
@Pedro - I didn't even think about blacking out the air intakes. I'll do that before she goes in the cabinet.

Thanks for all the kind words fellows. This was a fun build and campaign. Torsten, can't wait to see your builds finished. Very nice and clean construction so far.
Samantha, you may want to reinforce the legs on your table. With that much weight in the nose of the aircraft the whole table is in danger of breaking.

Hermon
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 10:01 AM UTC
[quote].... I would today. I think with the amount of weight I have put in it there is no way it will tail sit ....

Your Lightning looks great so far, Samantha! It's also one of my favourite aircrafts. Unfortunatly I havn't seen a real P-38 flying yet.
Concerning about the weight, your kit looks like the good one from Academy. Weight in the nose is okay and for your next P-38 you can put some small amount of weight in the air intake parts in front of the main gear boxes. There is some space for small RC balls. I did it when I have built my YIPPEE in 2008 and she is certainly no tail sitter ....

Happy modelling
Torsten
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 10:39 AM UTC
Hi all,

Sam, you could market your idea there, combining modelling and weight-training. Get fit while you sit !! Great progress, you must be almost ready to throw some paint at it !!

Allen, great work on the office, even in 1/72 this was such a big bird there's plenty of detail to play with.

Cheers, D
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 11:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Your Lightning looks great so far, Samantha! It's also one of my favourite aircrafts. Unfortunatly I havn't seen a real P-38 flying yet.
Concerning about the weight, your kit looks like the good one from Academy. Weight in the nose is okay and for your next P-38 you can put some small amount of weight in the air intake parts in front of the main gear boxes. There is some space for small RC balls.

Erm I have already done that, that's what pic 3 shows also not shown in the pics is the weight in the nose cone I dare it to even contemplate tail sitting

Thanks for the comments guy's funny you should say about weight training you didn't see me trying to lift the giant sized coffee jar all the loose tiny balls live in. Its really heavy especially when you forget what is actually in it and try to pick it up one handed

I think Im about ready to ogive it a prime and then go from there, Im putting off masking the canopy at the moment one of my pet hates currently.Ive got the invasion stripes to be sprayed on first to get them over with then the rest should be pretty straight forward (famous last words there)
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 12:35 AM UTC
Hi all, got paint on the Testors kit today, more practice at freehand camo and I'm fairly happy with the results. . . .

First the Tan

then the Medium Green

and last the Dark Green

The colours are not exactly right for the standard camo scheme, but they still look OK to me and a wash will dull them down a bit as well.

Cheers, D
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 12:43 AM UTC
Nice freehanding Damian!

Magnus
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 04:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Erm I have already done that, that's what pic 3 shows also not shown in the pics is the weight in the nose cone I dare it to even contemplate tail sitting ....

Yes, meanwhile I've realized your 3rd pic Sorry for that, it was late yesterday ....

@Damian
your bird looks really nice. You're fast, man! You have nearly finished while I'm still sitting here filling, sanding, filling, sanding, fi ....

Happy modelling
Torsten