Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Anti-Shipping Campaign
doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 153 posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 07:02 AM UTC
Looks good, Torsten.
I am building the same kit right now (will probably paint the underside tonight). I was building it for the "Big Beautiful Bombers" campaign but life got in the way and I did not make the deadline.
I think the kit is one of the "hidden gems" in modeling, with great detail, and great fit (especially for a large twin-engined a/c). It's a shame we don't see more of them built.

Regards-
Tom
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 09:54 AM UTC
Wow some amazing work so far...

Now that I finished the phantom for my client work on the campaign builds have resumed. This weekend I decided to start sorting out the rear gunners position

The seat was finished off and work commenced on the .50 cal using the Eduard etch and the Master barrel, but there is still some work to be done.

As always any suggestions, comments and critique are welcomed
611_sqd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 99 posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 12:23 PM UTC
Hi All

Thanks to AussieReg for putting this one up.

For this Campaign I am going to do the Airfix 1/72 Ju-88 Medium Bomber. One of the options in the box is a German Anti-Shipping one.

I mainly painted miniatures and have only recently [2007] got back into doing kits. At which point I learned I sucked I spent the next couple of years trying to improve. I think I am a high beginner to low intermediate at the moment. I was working with a charity and was teaching mini painting and basic model skills to some of the kids. It was amazingly fulfilling but also could be hard work. Now that I have moved on from the charity the program is smaller with some of kids meeting once a week to work on stuff and hang out.

I love the idea of these campaigns as its a great motivation to work on my kits and get back to the reason I did kits as a kid. Loving the build and loving the planes.

Looking through the thread there is some really cool choices in planes and some amazing work being done. I'm already learning new tricks.

I did a 1 minute In box review for fun on the Airfix Ju-88 on my blog. Feel free to take a look if anyone is interested. http://scallywag-check6.blogspot.com/

Here is a pic of the box. The one depicted on the box is the one i'll be doing. Never done the German Camo before so this is a big learning experience for me.

Aaron
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 02:31 PM UTC
G'day Aaron.

Welcome to Aeroscale and thanks for joining in here at Hull-buster central !!

Please don't be shy about asking questions and posting heaps of progress pics, the crew here will give you all of the advice and critique you could wish for.

Looking forward to your build.

Cheers, D
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
AeroScale: 372 posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 05:51 PM UTC
Allen: Looking good! Are you tinning the PE subassemblies?

Aaron: I doubt you are as bad as you feel you are. That is a sweet plane you have there, I have one from Hasegawa that I completely forgot about until now. I always thought the ship-shaped (no pun intended) kill markings looked cool.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 02:44 AM UTC
Time for a small update from my build. I masked and painted the underside yesterday, and striped off the mask thismorning. I have a few little touch-ups to take care of but it came up well (for me that is !! ). I love black aircraft, they just have a sinister look about them !! My mix of choice for "scale black" is a 50:50 mix of Tamiya Flat Black and Red Brown.

Clear gloss tomorrow then on to the decals.

Torsten, your build is coming along really well. That splinter camo looks great !

Allen, just remember, all of that fiddly PE and turned brass will add an awesome touch to your build, so not too much swearing please !!

Len, the Super Etendard is looking great. It's always good to get the fuselage underway, feels like real progress.

Matt, great work on the A4 tub, the diamond pattern came up really well.

Sean, welcome aboard mate, I'm looking forward to some progress pics of your Avenger.

We are all making good progress in this Campaign, and the diversity is great. The Campaign Gallery will be a feast of Anti-Shipping goodness !!
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 03:39 AM UTC
Here's where I stand...
Working at the kitchen table. I told the wife it's so we can spend more time together, but she's watching the weirdest TV shows, and the kitchen is warmer than the basement.
kitchentable-20110124-2136
Here's a closer look at the bomb/torpedo bay I'm building into this plane, so it's not hollow.
ScratchBay-20110124-2136
I got a little more done on the internal ribbing after the photo, but you get the idea. Paint and its position underneath the plane should hide my sins.
Still some headscratching and work to scratch-build a Mark 13 torpedo and cart, but I think I have a plan.
thanks,
Sean.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 04:18 AM UTC
Thanks for your comments, guys!
@Sean
To see a TBF is always great, no matter what scale. Will watch your progress!
@Aaron
Don't worry about the splinter camo on german aircrafts. That's the easier one, as the colours have sharp edges. So you can use masks. Just check my photos on this side. The mottle camo is a lot more difficult and gives me always some hassle (too much, too little, too narrow, too strong ..... )
@Tom
You're right, the Dornier Do 217 is hardly seen on expos anywhere. I remember seen just one some years ago in 1/48. In 1/72 you can see them more often. Especially in "my" scale 1/48 it's also a problem of where to put the kit, when it's built. Dimensions are not small with a length of 36 cm and a wing span of 40 cm. The fitting is good so far but I had big problems in the beginning the the fuselage parts. That needed a lot of filler, sanding paper and nerves .... But now the build is proceeding very well. Yesterday I added the landings gears to the engine nacelles.
The Do 217 is not as popular as the other 2 mainly used german bombers Heinkel He 111 and Junkers Ju 88. Was always the No. 3 in line, though it was more versatile than the He 111 ....
So, you are also building one. When it's a bomber it's sure the version E-4, right? Would you like to show it? Just one photo?
@Damian
That's a nice camo on you Sparviero! Was it used as a night torpedo bomber then with the black underside?

Happy modelling!
Torsten
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 10:19 PM UTC
Back again. I didn't quite get as far as the Clear Gloss today as hoped, but I got some detail work done.

I love this part of the build, attaching all of the externals and detailing parts. To me this is where they really take on their character.

Sean, your TBF is coming along really well, very nice additions to the torpedo bay.

Cheers, D
Kiwi_Modeller
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 188 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 11:29 PM UTC
Looks great D.
everyone is coming along good , nice to see another TBF too.
cheers,
Graham
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 05:29 PM UTC
I've decided to sign up for this one, my first aeroscale campaign for quite a while...i'm one of the boring people that only signs up when i'm certain i will finish.

I'm doing this one, i think it's anti shipping credentials are pretty obvious. I will be doing one of the Kate's that flew off Soryu and hit Pearl Harbour.

I made a start on the cockpit today. I think i better do something about those ejector pin marks in the middle of the seat pans!
The Kate will be a background build during down time on my bigger project for now.

Andrew
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 06:07 PM UTC
Hi Andrew. Welcome, thanks for joining, happy Australia Day for yesterday, good luck with your build, ummmmmm . . . I think that covered it !!

Seriously, very nice choice of build. I'm loking forward to seeing your progress on this one, and I'm sure it will be a pleasant distraction from the Gotha (OMG you're a brave man, my knees buckled just thinking about that rigging !!).

Ok, we've had a fair amount of progress here lately so it's time I updated the Roll Call and Build Status board. It's in the very first post of this thread for those of you interested in checking who's who in this zoo.

EDIT: Ok, I've trawled through the last couple of pages of the thread and updated the Roll Call. and the Campaign stands like this:
3 months gone, 5 months to go, 48 enlisted, 18 builds underway or finished.

The next step for me is to send out some PM's to those enlisted but AWOL up to now and see what I can stir up !!

ALSO, I need to thank Guido (Tailor) for his great work on the ribbon, it's much better than the childlike attempts I made !!

Ok folks, back to the bench, nothing else to see here

camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 07:59 PM UTC
I have good news the replacement part has arrived and fingers crossed so progress will be made over the weekend
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 08:06 PM UTC
D. nice job on the SM79 and that is one big torpedo.

Bob
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 09:57 PM UTC
Already made some more progress, pretty good for the first day. Like usual, i always assemble everything into sub-assemblies for priming then base coating interior parts. For me it's the fastest way.

Andrew
Matty_K
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 103 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 10:32 PM UTC
Hi all,
Just finished the bits for the cockpit. Nothing spectacular as it‘s going to be an OOTB build.

Len: Nice jet taking shape. I‘m following your build interestedly as I have the „normal“ Etendard on my bench. Keep going.

Torsten: Great build of the Do 217. I like the camo scheme and the subtle colour differences very much!

Allen: The tiny bits of the Vindicator already look very encouraging. Looking forward to your build and your next postings.

Sean: Your Avenger seems to be a quite ambitious project. Great work on modelling the internal structures!

Damian: Thanks for your comment. Great work on your Sparviero! It‘s looking really dangerous now. But seems more to be a torpedo with a mounted aircraft than vice versa.

Andrew: Good start on your Kate.

Have fun folks
Matt
Tailor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
AeroScale: 199 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 11:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

ALSO, I need to thank Guido (Tailor) for his great work on the ribbon, it's much better than the childlike attempts I made !!

Dont't even mention it, D!
It's been my pleasure!

This campaign is going on nicely. I am tempted to try another one of the RN/FAA beautiful uglies...

Ahhh... too many other campaign commitments...

Cheers,
Guido
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 12:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Damian: Thanks for your comment. Great work on your Sparviero! It‘s looking really dangerous now. But seems more to be a torpedo with a mounted aircraft than vice versa.

I agree Matt, it almost looks like Italeri threw a 1/48 torpedo into a 1/72 kit !! Very nice work on your office there, coming along nicely.

Guido, your Wyvern set a really high standard for us to follow here, so if you want to put up another build it's going to have to be even better !!

Cheers, D
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
AeroScale: 372 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 04:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have good news the replacement part has arrived and fingers crossed so progress will be made over the weekend

Rock on!!

As for myself, I am going to have to see if I can pull a few miracles over the next two weeks to see if I can get caught up enough with all of my campaign entries. Wish me luck!
611_sqd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 05:44 AM UTC
So I have started the Ju-88. First thing I found was this has to be one of their old kits. The plastic feels hard and brittle. The new kits have a nice supple feel to them. Secondly nothing fits and I mean nothing.

I did the cockpit which was almost non-existent. This was done in grey, with silver drybrushing for scratches and then some dirt added. The engines have been painted and I'll add a wash to it to add a little more definition. I painted the props in their first coats.

Assembled the tail fins and fuselage. The fuse is a horrible fit and I need to sand it down. Lots of putty was used. The worst parts are the glasshouse. The turret underneath where the side tabs go were 2mm to small. I used Vallejo putty and then water to remove the excess. This works better on non-clear pieces. Its ok but I didn't get all of it off. I'm not stressing as I was going to add some dirt on the underneath glass piece anyway. But I am very concerned how I am going to do the nose glass piece because it has exactly the same problem. The three tabs are drastically to small. I am praying that the top cockpit glass will fit. This is in two pieces rather than one which we normally see today. If it is to small it either won't fit on the sides or maybe worse won't connect to each other. Buggered if I know how to deal with that. Hoping I won't have to.

not sure yet how im going to tackle the canopy painting. The metal is just really faint lines and when I say really faint the first three people I showed swore there was no markings at all. The newer kits of Airfix like the Mig-15 which I made have slightly raised metal. This makes masking easier.

I'm really using this as a way to learn/practice skills as compared to all the other planes in my stash this is bound to be the worst one in terms of build. Pity really as I would have liked my first campaign to be decent lol Oh well. We work with the hand the modeling gods deal us.

next up [after sanding]is the wings. Engine, Tail and undercarriage. then onto some proper painting.

windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 06:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,
Just finished the bits for the cockpit. Nothing spectacular as it‘s going to be an OOTB build.

A little understatement, Matt? That's some nice paintwork on the seat and panel!

Aaron, looks like you were dealt a bad hand. Sounds like you have the skills to overcome all the difficulties though.
Can't wait to see how these all develop.
Sean.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 06:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So I have started the Ju-88. First thing I found was this has to be one of their old kits. The plastic feels hard and brittle. The new kits have a nice supple feel to them. Secondly nothing fits and I mean nothing.

I built that same kit over 30 years ago so it definitely isn't a new tooling. But they had not improved musch in the fit department over that time as nothing fitted on my Concorde either..
611_sqd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 12:59 PM UTC
Its terrible really. I think there is more putty than plane at this point. 2 to 3mm off at times. The fuse is different sizes. I think maybe the mold had deformed slightly over the years or something. Not my easiest build ever.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 01:23 PM UTC
Aaron I'm sorry to hear about your issues with this build mate, but try to turn it around into a positive. Take a look at the P-51 Campaign thread, the problems I had with the Modelcraft F-82 I built there sound pretty much the same as yours here. I used my build to hone some repairing and gap-filling techniques and trial some new paints for future projects.

Cheers, D
611_sqd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 02:06 PM UTC
Its not that big a deal really, yeah its totally annoying when we get a kit thats a pig, but we have all had them right. The only real disappointment comes from a I want a Ju-88 for my shelf and this one probably won't be good enough for that. BUT and its a big BUT I only paid 13.99 for a 1/72 medium bomber. It ain't big bucks. If my 1/48 Fine Molds Oscar II is like this one THEN I will cry. Its all practice and it does show me where my skills are lacking if nothing else and that tells me what I need to work on more.

Just had a look and yep your twin Mustang has some of the same kind of issues I am having. Especially your cowling problems at the start.

Where Airfix is concerned I would like them to make it clearly known what is old and what is new. I have built the Mig-15 and the Spitfire Photo Recon and both were nice easy fun little kits. Both were newer. I built the Coastal Command F4U which was old and its a pig as well, but I got away with it.

I'm still learning my brands as there are so many out there. I kind of lean towards Airfix [newer] Tamiya [obviously but they are expensive at times] and Hasegawa. But I am giving Special Hobby a go and Fine Molds. I like some of Eduard's kit choices but read some horror stories about fit.