Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: FW190 'Wurger' Campaign
Automaton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 10:57 AM UTC
Hi Entoni, that's an ambitious build, and your fuel tank compartment is excellent. You may already be aware of this, but since you're at a dimensional check phase, here's a heads-up in case you aren't: the cowling front opening on this kit is underscale, and makes the cowl "taper down" much too markedly. I think it's pretty noticeable. I built a few of these kits in the late '90s, and I used to graft a copy of the Hasegawa kit's cowling front onto them. Check out the comparison photos between the 1:1 plane and the kit in this article for a pretty clear visual on what needs to be improved . . .

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/1999/07/stuff_eng_waligorski_fw190.htm

While this kit has a couple of little issues, I think it's still one of the best 1/72 Fw 190 kits on the market.

Regards;

Automaton
SUNDON
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 158 posts
AeroScale: 155 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 09:39 PM UTC
Made a start with the cockpit over the last couple of days.

Hadn't decided if I would use the instrument decals but decided to paint them instead.

I gave the inside of the fuselage halves a coat of RLM 66 while I was painting the cockpit parts.

I'm going to use Xtracrylix acrylic paints for all main colours with this build and the RLM 66 has gone on well but a little glossy for me so I think I will give it a matt coat after I apply a wash with some oil paint to weather it a little.

Martin
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 - 12:22 AM UTC
@Automaton: Thank you very much for your comment. I am quite aware of the problem... so aware that I decided to scratch the entire cowling from the firewall to the prop hub. This is also OK because the BMW "PowerEgg" will be detached from the aircraft itself, so it is not that much of a problem... However, dimensional check has proved some minor fit and scale issues, which resulted in decision to build new and better designed fuel compartment set - more correct to original and much easier to install. This is rather important, because the cockpit interior will sit right atop of it ( I am not using the kit parts)! Having in mind minor accuracy issues, I do agree that Revell's kit is very, very nice... I've fallen in love with that small kit few years ago, and have already built four of them...

Anyway, thank's for the comment and watch the build
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 - 07:43 AM UTC
First process pics from my "dual combo":
I have a week holidays so I got pretty far already. These beauties are ready for some airbrush action ...... Both 190's have the blown canopy, that makes it easier to mask. I used Eduard mask and some Kip Tape.

..... and first paint. The cockpit and canopy is painted in Revell 77. RLM 66 might be a little darker, but for me it's okay. Though the fuselage bands for both aircrafts are on the decal sheets, I prefer to paint them. First White as a primer and then Red. Yellow will follow tomorrow. The F-8 also got a red cowling ring.

Happy modelling!
Torsten
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 - 08:06 AM UTC
Hello Everyone,

Should start by saying that i feel this campaign is bound to be a very active & busy one indeed

Well back a few months when Mark kicked off the proposal I ventured building 2 190´s, an A-4 and a A-6 Sturmbock but as soon as i got my hands on this beauty I knew i just had to build it fast

Sem título por rochaped38

Sem título por rochaped38
first time i build a kit from this maker but it does look very good indeed, just adding seatbelts and replace the control stick, which is a bit clumsy
But gonna keep my word and build the A-6 also, so lot of work ahead...

Cheers

eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 02:50 AM UTC
Next to the Giant Euro is Gerateblock FuG16 and Main Compass, which is a leftover from previous, but never completed build. These are really small and will be soon installed in place... I think this is all for today...

Stay tuned for more... All the best!
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 06:19 AM UTC
All fuselage bands are painted and covered with Parafilm and today I could airbrush RLM 76 on my builds. First time I used Testors acrylic paint, thinned with Isopropanol and I'm really pleased with the result. There is quite a difference in shade of RLM 76 from Testors on the D-9 (right) and Agama on the F-8 (left). I wanted it that way. More work next week .....

Happy modelling!
Torsten
Automaton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 03:49 PM UTC
Wow, you work fast, Torsten! They're both looking good. I, however, am slow , but I have managed to plod onward a bit. . .

Added new cockpit floor details

The fuselage is used for different variants, and some surface details need to be filled and moved, note that Hasegawa supply a decal "hatch" for you to replace the molded-in detail which must be moved for an A5

The decal thing doesn't work for me, and though this may look like a lot of work, it only took a few minutes and is, to me at least, much easier than trying to scribe a new hatch and add hinge detail (if it's a shape that can't be scribed with an etched saw, I'm lost) It would have been simpler to simply cut out the area with the existing hatch, move it, and fill the hole except for one thing: there is also detail molded onto the interior behind it.

The mold only took a tiny amount of rtv

Made a cutout in the area where the detail needs to go. The mold will simply be held in place, and resin brushed into the cavity from the back. The hatch detail has been poured and finished, but when I was uploading the last 2 days' pics, I discovered I'd forgotten to photograph it. I'll put up a pic on my next update.

The lower wings have inserts to accomodate different variants

Had to get these joints really smooth, as they're not panel lines on the real plane, and I'm planning to rivet.

As I said, I'm slow, so that's it for now.

Regards;

Automaton

611_sqd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 99 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 11:54 PM UTC
Here is mine. A 1/72 Hasegawa 190D. I was hoping to do a A series as I like them better, but this was in stock at my local shop so i took it.

ivanhoe6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 08:28 AM UTC
I woke up way too early today! So I decided to join in on the fun. I'll be building Eduard's Weekend Edition of a FW 190-13. It has little detais like open cannon bays. Being an Armor builder I don't know too much about what things are but I am going to guess that all the extra stuff behind the motor is a super charger. It will be pretty much out of the box.
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 09:57 AM UTC
Ok, my dear friends... I don't have much time to write in detail, but here's the quick photo update of my progress with the kit:

If you have comments, please post them in the build blog. Thanks for watching!

All the best!
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 10:08 AM UTC
Ok, and off I go, thanks to a very quick delivery from SprueBrothers, they are good!

So an Eduard 1/48 Fw190A-6, I am looking forward to this build, a quick glance through the instructions looks to be a good detailed build with the question as to leave some hatches open and cowl off????

And as I don't get newspapers delivered at home, there is the date on my cell phone and the unstarted model.

Ok, now to get building.....
SUNDON
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 09:35 PM UTC
More progress made over the weekend.

Cockpit and engine parts went in without any problems.

I will be building with the gun cover panels on so I have left the guns off.

The wings are next.

Again no problems so far.

More to follow.

Martin
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 11:49 AM UTC
Hey guys, lots of nice builds so far! I'm starting 3 campaigns, so I'm gonna keep it simple and build the Tamiya A3 for this one. Pretty straight forward, simple build, but I may choose a different set of decals because a friend told me the ones out of the kit are a bit thick and don't lay down too well...
tmccall
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 10:10 PM UTC
My entry, one of the Eduard Fw190 "Grunherz" pair. The other will be used for the Duel Campaign over on the Kitmaker main site.

IMG_2738
SUNDON
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 07:51 PM UTC
Getting close to the main painting now.As I said before I'm going to use Xtracrylix for this, undersides RLM 76 and RLM 82 and RLM 83 for the topside camo with some RLM 04 for the tail and cowling under the power plant.

A little filler and a small peice of styrene shim was needed for the fitting of the wing but not to bad.

Martin
mpatman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 160 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 01:03 PM UTC
wow, some of you are off to a flying start. i have approx 1 hour of work left on my RAAF Beaufighter that I have been working on and then it full steam ahead with my builds here...
611_sqd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 99 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 07:26 AM UTC
I did some work on the cockpit. In 1/72 its pretty basic. Decals are used to simulate the switches there are none molded in. This kit reminds me a great deal of the Academy one I made for the OOB campaign. I thought about doing more to the cockpit and decided against it. If it was 1/48 I would have done a lot more.

In the end lucky I didn't as once the fuse was glued you really see nothing of the cockpit other than the seat.

eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 07:48 AM UTC
I made some progress today, after returning from a business trip. I doubt that there will be any modeling for me during this weekend. However, I scratched the auxiliary tank behind the cockpit from a leftover P-51 wing tank. I also added more details, and I am almost done with the plug. I still have to finish the seat and few more details; this will be followed up by adding some structural detail to the rear fuselage, but you will see...

Thanks for watching!
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 - 02:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

..., I scratched the auxiliary tank behind the cockpit from a leftover P-51 wing tank .....

That's what I call American - German military aid! The cockpit looks perfect, Entoni!

@Martin
Your Eduard-Dora looks great so far! Carry on!

@Mark
What version of the Tamiya-Friedrich do you build? I go for the "Red 2" of SG 2 in winter camo. I even have swastikas in the kit, though it's bought in Germany .....

Bad news from my side. I had to repaint all RLM 76 on my Tamiya-Dora with Gunze as the Testors paint sticked to the tape when I covered the underside .... I did that yesterday evening and will hopefully carry on this afternoon with RLM 81 .....

Happy modelling!
Torsten
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 - 03:48 AM UTC
Hey Torsten, I feel your pain! I recently pulled up paint and decals on a Bf 109 project. Try this next time, spray a coat of future over the kit and let it cure and then do your masking... i do this now and haven't had any problems pulling up paint anymore. Macht's gut!
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 - 07:31 AM UTC
Today I made another dimensional check before priming the cockpit. I was quite satisfied with the result. The photo says it all...

Thanks for watching!
mpatman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 160 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 - 07:51 PM UTC
Hi all,

I have posted some of my intended builds preveously in the campaign proposal thread but here we go for a full recap. I intend to try to complete 4 different Fw190's.

Build 1.

1/48 Tamiya A8 kit to build an R11 Nightfighter using the Owl decals conversion set and markings.

Build 2

1/48 Hasegawa A-7 Neptune with Owl Decal Fug 217 antena

Build 3

Eduard D11 using decals from Komman Deur for "White 61"

Build 4

Tamiya F8 using Tally ho Decals to do a plane likely assigned to St.III/SG10 "Green 2" with rare RLM 83 Mottles over RLM 76.

2 of these planes will also have Ul;tracast seats and the other 2 will have ones from True Details.

Just about to get going with all the cockpits, wish me luck!

Mark
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 - 11:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just about to get going with all the cockpits, wish me luck!Mark

Well, um good luck Mark.

4 builds, all with serious AMS fixes, now that's what I call dedication to the cause my friend !

This Campaign is really gaining momentum already, obviously a great and popular choice of subject matter. I have a 1/24 Airfix 190 in the stash, but I'm afraid it's staying firmly stashed for the duration of this build. I'm really enjoying everybody's work so far, some awesome skills on display.

Cheers, D
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 08:49 PM UTC
I bit late posting to this build. I see the level of work is oustanding and there are several beautiful aircraft to look at.

My offering is Eduard's Fw190-A5 ProfiPack kit. I plan to show the aircraft being prepared for a sortie. I started it last weekend and have taken a few pictures along the way. Thus far I have encountered the usual challenges that are common with the Eduard Fw190 kits, but I have managed to keep them to a minimum by careful parts placement and a lot of dry fitting.

Enjoy the pictures,
Ernest

The cockpit prior to weathering being completed

Wings assembled, I am replacing the kit barrels with brass ones.

Wings and fuselage mated, I only needed a small amount of putty where the front of the fuselage met with the wings. Surprisingly the rest of the wings and fuselage mated nicely.

Basic engine construction and painting mostly finished, just need to install the exhausts. I'll probably leave it as such because I plan to keep the cowling closed.