Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: PTO Campaign
RadekZ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 125 posts
AeroScale: 85 posts
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 - 04:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Radoslaw: that's determination. I would've given up and moved to next campaign when the paint lifted.

Thanks, Pasi. Normally I'd do the same , but I said it's time to fight back the "dark matter"
BTW... the kit isn't giving up. While I was spraying the clear varnish today some left overs of silver paint mixed up with varnish and kit now looks like if it was going to disco with sparks of glitter around (why check if airbrush is clean before, right? ) Oh... my clumsiness ...
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 - 07:32 AM UTC
Matt, LOVE the F4U. Great job.

Everyone else has really stepped up their builds.

Bob
john41492
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Malacca, Malaysia
KitMaker: 363 posts
AeroScale: 335 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 05:53 AM UTC
Hi all!

Thanks for the many nice compliments! For me, this one was about getting things restarted, otherwise I may have gone with something a little different. I’m glad I didn’t!

Iain, nice George!!

Joe, I used Mr. Color Nakajima grey/green (formerly Gunze, I believe) mixed 1:4 with Mr. Color Leveling thinner for the main color. First time using Mr. Color paint, I’ve been using Tamiya acrylics as I move away from enamels. The paint behaved like Tamiya, very nicely. I love the lacquer thinner! It works great with most paints, does level things out nicely, I also will spray a coat of the thinner over the completed paint as it levels the whole area. It’s not cheap, so I use it only to mix the paints, and small volumes at that!

The PTO is where most of my modeling interest lays, and I’ve picked up a bit along the way. Regarding your color question. For the battle of Midway, the top color on all the planes were blue/grey, and the undersides light grey. The Intermediate blue came into play somewhere around February of 1943 with the 3-tone scheme (sea blue, intermediate blue over insignia white). I know Model Master makes the blue/grey to which I’d lighten sunlight exposed areas with about 10% white to fade (note, Hornet’s TBD’s spent most of their time indoors so the fading would not be as pronounced as other carrier planes). Also, since your doing VT-8’s CO’s plane a neat little point of interest. Lt Cmdr Waldron wrecked his ride a few days before the Midway battle, so he used a spare, 8-T-16. It would seem that while hanging from the ceiling with wings folded, they couldn’t paint the red circle out of the insignia, so it’s possible that Waldron flew into battle with the old insignia on the underside. Also, the squadron code (in this case the “8”) for the squadrons that indicated what ship they came from were painted over after Coral Sea, so an un-lightened coat of blue grey over where the number is would be appropriate. For the light grey, take some light gull grey and lighten it with white.

If you go the Tamiya route, then it’s their medium blue XF-18 lightened with white XF-2 (3:1, and add a bit more white, but not more than 2 parts white), to get the grey undersides use Sky grey XF-19 mixed with XF-2, at 2:1. I don’t know about Mr. Color yet.

I like what you’ve done with the Monogram kit so far, it can be bear in spots. I wish you success with the corrugated leading edge of the wings. Hope the information helps, though I’m thinking you may have known the tidbits on Waldron’s plane. I do know that this campaign has me motivated to get some early PTO USN birds on the done shelf!

Matt, I really like the weathering job you did! It’s true that freshly painted Zero’s were glossy, although this faded fairly fast in the environments they were used. The same would hold true for the A6M2-N, even though only 12 were rolling off the line per month. Best guess on Jiro’s mount is that it was in service about 6 months prior to what I was going for. So, a bit flatter would be appropriate, alas, I tried using Tamiya clear flat for the first time. I’m not sure if thinning it with the lacquer thinner resulted in a less than flat finish or what, but I feared damaging the paint job and a white build up that I’ve read of. I’ll be working with this a bit more and let you all know. Restarting things does have its downsides, I really miss Testors Dull Coat! I think on my next flat finish I’ll be adding their flatting stuff to Future. On a humorous note, doing the move forced me to inventory my stash. I thought the P-47 was my favorite plane, but my buying habits would indicate that it’s the Zero!

Michael, I vote MTO, and so does Crickit! Got the B-25 with decals and masks burning a hole in the shelf!!

Until next time, enjoy the hobby!
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 03:21 AM UTC
Sounds to me like the Med is the favorite, so that's the next one. We aren't going to start until June, to give everyone a little break. If you want to sign up for it, the Campaign page is here.

Michael
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 03:52 AM UTC
Just for reference, MTO is any operation in the MED from 1939 to 1945?
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 04:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just for reference, MTO is any operation in the MED from 1939 to 1945?

Correct. North Africa, the Middle East, Sicily, Italy, etc.

Michael
Pave-Hawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 900 posts
AeroScale: 200 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 04:27 AM UTC
Well I am in for the MTO. May end up doing an F6 Hellcat in FAA colours in the med, but will dig through the stash to see what I can come up with.

Will need to start giving out birthday hints to aquire something suitable for the eastern front.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 05:07 AM UTC
My ideal would be to sort through the stash and figure out if I have anything that has the Torch yellow surround stars...
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 05:30 AM UTC
Hey guys, I'm glad everyone's getting excited about the MTO campaign, but we now have a dedicated place to talk about it. Please go to the MTO thread to post your discussion about that campaign, let's get back to PTO on this one.

Michael
eMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 1,182 posts
AeroScale: 351 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 11:52 AM UTC
Progress update of my entry, Itaieri 1/35 LVT-(A)1 Alligator.

b17-peter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 696 posts
AeroScale: 608 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2018 - 01:28 PM UTC
@ eMan - Looking cool!

I'm making some progress, too, on my Lightning

So far a very good kit, no fitting issues yet and the cockpit's nicely detailed. I only added the seatbelts.
Good going for everybody!
b17-peter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hessen, Germany
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 12:06 AM UTC
Hi mates, I hope you could this weekend for your progress
My build starts to look more and more like an airplane...

TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
AeroScale: 201 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 06:44 AM UTC
Finally...made myself work on the "Frank" some.

Redid the yellow on the leading edge, added some of the landing gear and whatnot underneath.

Mike
eMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 08:30 AM UTC
More progress update.

eMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2018 - 01:35 PM UTC
LVT-(A)1 Alligator finished.

b17-peter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hessen, Germany
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2018 - 06:14 PM UTC
Great job, well built and nice paint job, congrats
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2018 - 07:54 PM UTC
Very nice work going on here! Nice 'Gator EMan!

We're in the home stretch now everyone, so get those models done (and posted in the gallery)!

Michael
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 709 posts
AeroScale: 651 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2018 - 10:17 PM UTC
Indeed great finished builds and very nice progresses coming up here !

Just saying hello, not really much but I'm still on ...

Worked around the engine and cowling. Unfortunately I lost 1 exhaust part and decided to take 2 pieces from a cotton bud stick and done it with a different cut.
Still have to paint them properly as it's now all covered up with that black-blueish cowl color.

Thomas
69mudbone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 01:14 AM UTC
E man your weathering is spot on, congrats
RhinoSpit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bas-Rhin, France
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 191 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 01:22 AM UTC
All my build are currently on hold due to a broken glass. Nothing serious, but my index is unusable since 2 weeks andfor the next week.

He is ready for the paintbooth since two weeks, and i really hope i can finish the hellcat for this campaign.

And the engine with my wound !

macotra4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 110 posts
AeroScale: 88 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 10:25 PM UTC
And i am jumping on the wagon with 1/48 Hasegawa J2M3 Raiden
I hope that i will be able to finish it. I actually started to build it few days ago, when i decided that i will not finish Night Fighter Campaign... It is a beautiful design model, goes together without any problems...

RadekZ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 05:55 AM UTC
@eMan - great finishing on Alligator.
@Thomas - Nice progress and recovery on missing part
@Franck - wish you a quick recovery.
@Tom - Raiden's cockpit looks really neat!

Now a little bit about Buffalo. I'm almost there!
Basically decals are now on also most of the weathering is done. ONly thing left are painting some details and use pigments here and there to "wear" the kit's satin surface a little bit:

Unfortunately removal of masks showed a lot of bad streaks and dirt on interior part of canopy, which is a little bit dissapointment at this time. But nothing I can do about it at this stage, so I'll just leave it as is and I'll just finish the job

Cheers,
Radek
b17-peter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hessen, Germany
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2018 - 01:05 AM UTC
Nice little Buffalo, Radek!

My Lightning is progressing to the painting stage now.

I'm happy I got the noseweight right.

I hope I'll get the upper coat of olive-drab on tomorrow...
Have fun mates!
PasiAhopelto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2018 - 11:05 PM UTC
Nice work above.

Meanwhile PBJ-1H:

I think I'll get this done on time. Clear finish on decals tomorrow, and then there's one and half weeks for weathering and touching up the paint, and one week for the rest (canopy, guns, etc).
RadekZ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 - 03:42 AM UTC
@Peter & Pasi - great progress guys.

Ok. It's time to finish my soap opera with Brewster Buffalo (btw. it didn't give up and I had to repaint parts of wing. This time due to accidential use of levelling thinner instead of white spirit when working with oils).
It's finished. Although cockpit turned to be very dirty from inside (dunno what happened), but I'm happy . Maybe not because of great finishing, but because it's finally finished.
No bottom pics, because it looks awful, but all around pics here (I'll upload them soon into gallery):

Thank you for great campaign and wish you all to finish by deadline

Cheers,
Radek