Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
"The Guardian Angel" Helicopter Campaign '07
Sluff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oulu, Finland
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 11:52 PM UTC
Hah! I got my SuperPuma today. Looks decent enough, can't wait to get started.
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:13 AM UTC
Hi all!

Here´s a pic of my Kiowa kit, just so you´ll see that i´m game! :-)

Can´t say i know anything about those choppers or the "Thugs", some research is needed!

More pics when i have done some building!

Cheers!

Stefan E
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 01:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all!

Here´s a pic of my Kiowa kit, just so you´ll see that i´m game! :-)

Can´t say i know anything about those choppers or the "Thugs", some research is needed!

Stefan E

Looks like a very cool kit - at least from the box art

I am drawing a blank on the "Thugs" as well. So please share any information you might find. It could be interesting
Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 08:01 AM UTC
Here's a little progress on my lynx. i have been reminded why I don't do many full resin kits but, I am having fun with it. I'll definitly learn some scratch building in th interior.

Darson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 247 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 05:55 PM UTC
Great looking start on the Lynx Todd, you're a braver man than I am tackling an all resin chopper. I can't wait to see some more progress shots.

As I hadn't checked this thread for a few days I hadn't realised that we've started, oops.

Well I certainly fixed that situation this weekend and the Wessex HAS.3 in now well under way. I'll post some happy snaps when there's something worth showing.

Cheers
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 12:49 AM UTC
i got my sea king under way today, well, actually all i got done was to put the seats in! i was going to get the interior in, but changed my mind due to the fact that the two crew figures are exact clones, so i performed a bit of surgery to one (bet you did'nt know decapitation can be cured with superglue!)
anyways heres a couple of pics to kick off my entry-

Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 01:49 AM UTC
Thanks Darren. The big parts aren't the problem... its the little stuff that's starting to be the real pain. I've had to replace the stick and cyclic controls with parts from the bits box. Other than that I'm almost ready to start painting the interior. Have a coat of primer on and letting it cure.
Removed by original poster on 01/22/07 - 08:02:57 (GMT).
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 06:01 AM UTC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phil, all those rivits are scaring me!

Here is where my little Dolphine stands right now. Hope to put another coat of primer on her tonight and start splashing on some of that beautiful orange/red color before the weekend.
Also, I thought I'd do something a bit different with this one. I sprayed Tamiya smoke color on the inside of the forward canopy. Don't know how good of an idea it was yet........

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 04:28 PM UTC
Looks really good guys. I am looking forward to see more.

I have not gotten any kit yet as my LHS was all out on Russian attack helicopters. However, my LHS should get some new Zvezda kits this week, so I hope they will have some Russian attack helicopters in that shipment
wizard179
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 251 posts
Posted: Monday, January 22, 2007 - 01:42 PM UTC
My conversion sets for the Blackhawk and Seahawk arrived in the mail yesterday. I am not going to start for a bit on my Helo because this campaign is the last to end of all the campaigns I am entered in. Will start posting when work commences.

Nice work to those of you have already started on your kits

Cheers
Wiz
fish1642
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 89 posts
AeroScale: 77 posts
Posted: Monday, January 22, 2007 - 06:21 PM UTC
I've not taken part in a group build so far so I'll join in on this one. I've got a Revell 1/32 Cobra to build. but won't be starting for a bit as I've just started a eurofighter. Looking forward to joining in though.
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Monday, January 22, 2007 - 10:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Phil, all those rivits are scaring me!

in paul teutel snr's words- its old school baby!
i might sand them down a bit, but then again maybe not. this is a kit i built "back in the day" and i got this one as much for nostalgia, as wanting a sea king model. and to build it as part of a campaign meant it jumped the queue of stuff i had planned to build, although it was pretty easy for me to squeeze it in!
Aurora-7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
AeroScale: 125 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 03:26 AM UTC
I'd like to join this campaign with my 1/48 Revell H-19 kit, done up in it's Korean War colors.

Mike P.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 08:26 AM UTC
Man you guys are moving along

Todd your cockpit panel and floor looks great, like the detail of the floor. How well of a fit are the two fuselage halves.

Again Phil like the Sea King, also your idea of using twist wire to hold the halves together.

Hermon the Dolphin looks super, I’ve seen the kits box but never the kit itself. Looks like it goes together well.

Wiz, Chris and Mike…welcome aboard. Looking forward to your photos.

I’ll be building Academy’s CH-53E, so far I tore through the box giving it the once over. One thing for sure…a ton of parts. Also I’ve been surfing the net for interesting pics, kinda looking for something wild, weird and dirty.

Again Great Job
Joe
Removed by original poster on 01/24/07 - 11:04:54 (GMT).
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 09:04 AM UTC
The Guardian Angel campaign sign up page is up and running, I see that the many of you already enlisted, but for those not can do so here

Joe
Darson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 247 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 04:30 PM UTC
Joe it's nice to see that the Campaign Page is finally up and running , I've just officially enlisted at last.

Cheers
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 04:44 PM UTC
I have enlisted as well, even though I have not found a model yet.

However, I am going back to Denmark this weekend, so there I can pick up something Russian/Soviet with lots of missiles and rockets in case my LHS here in Latvia has not recived anything from Zvezda yet.
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 06:27 PM UTC
I have just bought my entry, so I should be starting it soon.
I doubt it will take me long, (unforeseen problems excluding :-) ) as it is a 1/72 scale kit.
What is it, I'm not telling, its a secret :-) . I'll post some teaser progress pics as I go along.
Andy
P.S Nige, if you let on you will be lamped :-) :-) .
Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 07:14 PM UTC
Hi Joe,

The fit was better than expected but there are still some gaps that need a little TLC. I haven't had much time this last week to work on anything hardly as I'm preparing for my trip to England. I'll be away for 10 days.

Cheers everyone, see you all on my return.
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:38 PM UTC
"Teams of scout and attack helicopters in highly effective "pink teams", such as OH-6 "Loach" or OH-58 Kiowa scout helicopters and the AH-1 Cobra attack helicopter during the Vietnam War "

So people, is anyone doing a Hunter-Killer team??
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 12:51 AM UTC
Well, finally my LHS got a Russian attack helicopter on the shelves - until I grabbed it It is the Italeri KA-52 in 1/72. This might be a reboxed Zvezda kit. It looks like a very nice kit with reasonable detail. However, the fit I can only speculate on so far. Will let you know more, when I get my fingers on it.

I belive that only a few (les than five) aircraft were ever build. All finished in overall black as I understand it. That could be cool, but might also be a little dull.
Would it be okay if I took a little artistic freedom and finished it in an alternative camouflage scheme? I am thinking of copying existing Russian helicopter schemes and using them on the KA-52. Then it would look as it might look if/when the KA-52 is put into operational service?

@Joe: Would you accept that in the campaign?

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 02:14 PM UTC
This is the camouflage from the KA-50, which I am planning on using for my KA-52 if it will be accepted in the campaign

Aurora-7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
AeroScale: 125 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 07:53 PM UTC
So much construction! I thought we were supposed to start March 1st.

While looking for my H-19 kit, I came across something else which I think would be more interesting for this build. Since it’s about all helicopters, I’ve decided to change by choice from the H-19 to the 1/48 Special Hobby R-4 – the world’s first production helicopter. The first 'Angel', if you will. I’m lucky that I have an actual R-4 for a reference source not to far from me (it helps to be from the state where the R-4 was made).

Here’s an image of the R-4 in her army colors.