General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
What the postman brought today ....
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...Russ, I got mine from sprue brothers, they came in and were OOS within a day or so. From what I understand Weta consignment is still in transit via ship. One of the popular ebay vendors seems to have them in stock as of yesterday for $89 w/ free shipping which ends up being $3-4 cheaper than SB price plus shipping, at least for me in the philadelphia area.
Mike

Thanks Mike, I suspected that. I find it amusing that Sprue Bros. And Amazon Have had it in stock twice now, but Weta has yet to receive any. I wonder if there are issues between WnW and Weta regarding this state of affairs. My wife is the one who ordered the Camel from Weta as a gift for me, and they charged her card already, so she is very unhappy with Weta and thier services, and has commented that while it took only a week or so to get a model from WnW in NZ before, a distance of about 5,000 miles, it now takes months to get a kit from Weta, a mere 26 miles from our home. I suspect it will come along someday, but from now on we'll be using Sprue Bros. I was surprised when WnW went with a Hollywood prop company as a distributor and not an established hobby distributor like Stevens, Hobbico, HobbyLinc, Squadron, Merit, or MRC. I guess we'll see what Weta does in the future.
VR, Russ
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...Russ, I got mine from sprue brothers, they came in and were OOS within a day or so. From what I understand Weta consignment is still in transit via ship. One of the popular ebay vendors seems to have them in stock as of yesterday for $89 w/ free shipping which ends up being $3-4 cheaper than SB price plus shipping, at least for me in the philadelphia area.
Mike

Thanks Mike, I suspected that. I find it amusing that Sprue Bros. And Amazon Have had it in stock twice now, but Weta has yet to receive any. I wonder if there are issues between WnW and Weta regarding this state of affairs. My wife is the one who ordered the Camel from Weta as a gift for me, and they charged her card already, so she is very unhappy with Weta and thier services, and has commented that while it took only a week or so to get a model from WnW in NZ before, a distance of about 5,000 miles, it now takes months to get a kit from Weta, a mere 26 miles from our home. I suspect it will come along someday, but from now on we'll be using Sprue Bros. I was surprised when WnW went with a Hollywood prop company as a distributor and not an established hobby distributor like Stevens, Hobbico, HobbyLinc, Squadron, Merit, or MRC. I guess we'll see what Weta does in the future.
VR, Russ

Russ - I have assumed - perhaps erroneously (imagine that -me being wrong -my wife has alluded to that possibility at times) - that the WnW / Weta connection was due to Wingnut Wings patriarch Sir Peter Jackson being a film maker. I would not be surprised to find a business connection between his filmmaking endeavors and Weta . Possible? Hope you get your Camel soon . Richard
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 04:58 AM UTC
Russ, I feel lucky I didnt get tripped up with the whole Weta preorder debacle. Your living so close to them makes the whole thing seem even more preposterous. Supposedly sprue and others are buying smaller quantities which travel air freight and Weta supposedly as the main distributor gets container loads. The others sellers dont seem to be carrying much more of WNW's other kits. SB only lists the Roland D.VIb and DH.4a in addition to the six camel kits and have gone in and out of stock too. Im not sure they know which kits are selling well but the camel is the hot kit of the season and swift sales are guaranteed.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 07:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Russ, I feel lucky I didnt get tripped up with the whole Weta preorder debacle. Your living so close to them makes the whole thing seem even more preposterous. Supposedly sprue and others are buying smaller quantities which travel air freight and Weta supposedly as the main distributor gets container loads. The others sellers dont seem to be carrying much more of WNW's other kits. SB only lists the Roland D.VIb and DH.4a in addition to the six camel kits and have gone in and out of stock too. Im not sure they know which kits are selling well but the camel is the hot kit of the season and swift sales are guaranteed.

Mike, Richard,
Yep, I think that's the issue, Sprue Brothers and others are getting smaller loads and selling out fast. Whereas Weta seems to carry the whole line. I guess what rubs me the wrong way was the ease at which WnW were previously able to get a new kit going and out to the public, and now that Weta is involved it seems to be really slow and laborious, not to mention they've taken money for orders with little explanation. I think Richard is right, its the NZ/movie connection for Weta that made them attractive to WnW. My experience (worked for a while in a LHS) is that when a non-hobby distribution company gets involved, there's usually going to be a problem. I've seen that with the old Williams Brothers Kits, the Montex kits and at least a couple others (non-hobby distributors) here in the states over the past 12-13 years. I guess we are all spoiled, and should just be glad these kits are out there-- there are so many worse things in the wold that could happen. Speaking of that, and getting us back on tack with "what the postman brought today"...I'm glad we have such great USPS, UPS, FEDEX and overseas carrier service. I remember days past when I'd wait with anticipation for nine-twelve weeks for an order to be filled and shipped via USPS from Polk's Hobby Supply on 5th Ave. in New York City. My modeling buddies and I would combine orders and impatiently await a huge box to arrive with kits we could never get at our LHS or drug store. So, I guess everything is relative! how spoiled we are now (at least I am)!
VR, Russ
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 - 01:39 AM UTC
During last weekend's expo near my hometown these 2 kits jumped into my bag plus some Eduard masks. Both kits are from Hobbyboss and in 1/48. I'm especially happy about the IAR 80. Decals for the Bf 109 G-6 are for Hartmann and Barkhorn. Couldn't be any better, though I have already a sheet for all birds Gerd Barkhorn flew during WW2. So this kit might get Ilmavoimat markings later.

Torsten
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 - 05:33 AM UTC
This kit flu in today

Been wanting to get this kit for some time now but the ebay price was way out to lunch . I did get an excellent deal on this though .

Terri
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 - 10:40 AM UTC
A glorious day! After ordering it back in Aug. or Sep., then it being pushed back from Nov. to Feb. as the delivery date, my Emily arrived! (Expect a review - naturally.)

I hate to admit it but I'm not sure if I like this old art better:

rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 01:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A glorious day! After ordering it back in Aug. or Sep., then it being pushed back from Nov. to Feb. as the delivery date, my Emily arrived! (Expect a review - naturally.)

I hate to admit it but I'm not sure if I like this old art better:

Frederick-

The old box art is absolutely better- one of my disappointments when I received Hasegawas new Dave a while back was the box art - Koike Shigeo replaced by computer generated " art " ( Sorry - it isn't art IMHO )
Oh well - it saves me the trouble of cutting out the box top and saving it as I have been doing for years. Progress ????? Richard
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 08:42 PM UTC
Hi again

Wow! There are some spectacular hauls!

I've had a few items arrive that should keep me out of mischief too.

All the best

Rowan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 05:10 AM UTC
Good for you Fred , don't think I could wait that long for an item to be shipped .

Rowan , your postman must have communicated with my postman , he brought me these items today .

Some more Mustang checker nosed decals for Little Joe and Sherman was right along with P-51 seats with harness from Ultracast ! Love shopping there and their customer service is top - notch .

Terri
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 - 08:22 PM UTC
No plastic this time, but yesterday this fell out of my letter box when I came home. Edition 26 of Luftwaffe im Focus again with some outstanding unpublished before photos and really interesting reports of Fw 200 of KG 40 over the North Atlantic and another of He 111 of KG 100 over Crimea. Had to read them immediatly. Go and get it before it's out of stock. As usual the booklet is bilingual german/english.

Torsten
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 - 05:19 AM UTC
A large box just arrived from the USA which contains the very last ever Gene Hooker 1/72 Vickers Vanguard. Since it's an olde school kit, there's no such thing as box art. Anyone wishing a look inside the box may go take a look at a thread on another forum. The first post shows the parts in all their glory.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 12:08 AM UTC
Yes, this parcel has seen the world ....
Placed an order at Osprey in October 2016, the parcel was shipped on the 25. Oct 2016 and it arrived at my doorstep yesterday, 15. Mar 2017! Well, well, nearly 5 months on the road is a bit too long for a "First Class Air Mail" parcel from England to Germany, I guess. I would have walked that distance quicker.
But there were some useful goodies inside for future projects, especially that Hurricane book ....

RhinoSpit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bas-Rhin, France
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 191 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 12:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, this parcel has seen the world ....
Placed an order at Osprey in October 2016, the parcel was shipped on the 25. Oct 2016 and it arrived at my doorstep yesterday, 15. Mar 2017! Well, well, nearly 5 months on the road is a bit too long for a "First Class Air Mail" parcel from England to Germany, I guess. I would have walked that distance quicker.
But there were some useful goodies inside for future projects, especially that Hurricane book ....

i've ordered all my osprey books via the big evil ... AMAZON
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 01:15 PM UTC
Hi Torsten

That's a real shocker! I did have a parcel once that had reached the UK from the USA via... India! That took a while to arrive, but not as bad as yours.

I got a nice kit for my birthday today.

For once I won't have to worry about reviewing it, because Andy did the honours when the kit came out just about this time last year : https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/review/12121

All the best

Rowan
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 10:22 PM UTC
Fresh in off the porch!

I was hoping to exercise some self control and not pick one of these up for a while or spring for the royal class boxing due out in a few months. But all those plans fell to pieces when I saw the US marking options! Ill be needing some overtrees now too! I also felt a bit obligated to buy one since I was on Eduards website asking for this and a new sopwith triplane a while back.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 - 01:40 AM UTC
Nice one Mike!

I'm really excited by Eduard's SE.5a and am looking forward to getting my greedy hands on one myself! What with this and the new WNW Camels, spring 2017 is a great time for WWI modellers!

All the best

Rowan
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 - 02:10 AM UTC
I may have a pair of Roden SE-5s for sale now...
Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
AeroScale: 635 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 06:07 PM UTC
These arrived during this month,

More Migs,

And Sukhoi

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 01:49 AM UTC
Hi again

I had to think long and hard about this purchase... i.e. all of two seconds when it became available in the UK!

But, in all seriousness, it is a LOT of money to splash out in one go. But I missed the LVG the first time around and I was going to buy the new Camel at some stage anyway...

All the best

Rowan
Willard79
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 03:21 AM UTC
Oh, Snap Rowan,
This arrived on my doorstep today also.
With all the SE.5 fevor going on this ticks some boxes.
1.Local
2.My first 1/32nd kit
3.My first WW1 kit
4.A SE.5a.
5.My first Wingnut kit.

regards
edit*misspelled name*
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 03:40 AM UTC
That's probably a smart buy spud, theyve got to be getting low on SE.5a's
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 12:25 AM UTC
Hi Spud

Great choice! It's a fantastic kit - I've been using it as a reference as I start work on the baby (by comparison) Eduard kit. As Mike says, it's worth snapping up the early WNW kits before it's too late and they sell out (I wish I'd got the LVG first time around).

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 12:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But, in all seriousness, it is a LOT of money to splash out in one go. But I missed the LVG the first time around and I was going to buy the new Camel at some stage anyway...

All the best

Rowan

My thoughts exactly, I have one of the duellists kits for the same reason
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 06:53 AM UTC
I have a few fokker triplanes in the stash already so the excuse for this splurge is flimsy but eduard finally boxed their 1/48 triplane as the preproduction F.I with decals for Voss and Wolfe and thats something Ive long wanted to see as

I was also really impressed with Eduards new SE.5a especially the unexpected USAAC decal options which doesn't help justify the Pheon "Hisso and Viper aces over France" sheet I bought a few years ago. So wanting an APF Rhys Davids SE5a to pair with the Voss triplane an overtrees kit was in order. All from SB with their usual excellence