Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Civilian Planes Only Campaign
HARV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
AeroScale: 79 posts
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 - 11:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Harv: What scheme are you planning on doing your J3 in so I do not do the same. It would be nice to veiw two different birds.

I plan on painting it like this.

That is what my Dad's looked like when he owned one back in the 50s.

Quoted Text

PS what is your experiance with clear fuselages, any tips.

A clear fuselage will be a new experience for me. So I guess I will see how it turns out!!

Harv
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 - 02:06 PM UTC
Clear fuselage? Treat it just like a normal plastic fuselage. Should need no different treatment. I know I don't do anything different for my Trumpeter clear bits.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 - 02:17 PM UTC
@ HARV: so you grew up with a PA-18, what a lucky guy, that was a beutiful paint scheme.

@ Warren: I thought the clear was brittle to work with, so just do not worry about it then.

@ Allen: NICE set of decals (CRAZY) and paint job. I also like the use of good fising weights ( I suppose they are fishing weights) and the tips on the fuselage is grateful.

Bob
HARV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
AeroScale: 79 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@ HARV: so you grew up with a PA-18, what a lucky guy, that was a beutiful paint scheme.

Actually his was a PA-11. My Mom told me it was painted like the picture I provided. We have pictures but they are black and white. He had sold it before I was born so I never got to see it. I was a late unplanned baby (yes, an oops baby!!) and my Dad died when I was only six years old. I am actually in the process of trying to locate the plane and see if I can purchase it. Nothing like a 1/1 scale aircraft kit to work on!!

Quoted Text

Clear fuselage? Treat it just like a normal plastic fuselage. Should need no different treatment. I know I don't do anything different for my Trumpeter clear bits.

Thanks Warren, I appreciate the help.

Thanks guys,

Harv
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 05:53 AM UTC
@ Harv: It is still a nice a/c even if I am off by (7) a freind and I took flight lessons in late jr. high early high school (he went on to get his lic) it was too rich for my mom at the time so I just accompanied my freind after (3) lessons. The small airfeild we went to had many J-3's. It is still my favorite. Do you remember the pilot who went around the country from airshow to airshow back in the 1960's and would give airobatic displays until he was killed. Many thought they saw him trying to put the control stick back into it socket after coming out? Anyway I was told that he borrowed the a/c that he flew at each airshow from a local owner.
I hope that you find that PA11, let me know if you do and what the paint scheme is when you do.

Bob
spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
AeroScale: 388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 06:44 AM UTC
Hi everybody,

I just was about to start a new kit and I made already my mind up what to build next. However, as I saw this campaign I changed my mind and decided to join.

I am going to build Revells' Noorduyn Norseman serving the Saskatchewan Air Ambulance Service. Therefore, this will be an absolute yellow plane.

The Noorduyn Norseman was initially designed as a civilian airplane, later used by the army (Glenn Miller made his final trip in this type of airplane). Therefore, I expect that my entry will be accepted.

Jelger
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 06:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was thinking of doing the Dornier Do.27. I saw that it was also used for military but I am doing the Serengeti Safari version is that ok for this campaign? I wanted to check before I ordered it. I thought the paint job looked cool.

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr55/miamiknsfan/132dornier.jpg

Hello Scotty,
Sorry about the late reply, But it took alittle time to research your propose build. The Do 27 was made for the Spanish Military forces and also used by the armed forces for Germany, Switzerland, Argentina, etc. so unless you can show me Prof that it was used as a civilian planed first then used by the military the built is out.
Again I am sorry to say no to your build,
Cheers,
Bruce
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 595 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 02:00 PM UTC
Hi guys..Im in with the EC135 Eurocopter in 1:72 scale..
spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
AeroScale: 388 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 07:19 AM UTC
Hi everybody,

I did some research on the net about the norseman and found some good references.

Here is a picture of the plane (from the Norduyn Norseman Historic Site

On the Norseman historic site are also some nice colorschemes.

This week I will post some pictures of my build.

bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 07:25 AM UTC
Ok people! I'm back

Finally got my Cessna 337 from the LHS. As I remembered from building a O2A, all the parts to build a civilian version are included in the box. And talk about a mad riviter It's gonna take a lot of sanding to smooth out those wings. If I remember right it's going to take some major putty work to get the tail booms on also
But at least I'm ready to get going now. woo-hoo

later
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 04:04 AM UTC
After opening the box one finds a small number of parts, plus instruction booklet and a nice decal sheet. I didn't photograph the clear bits or decal sheet, but this is basically whats in the box

The very first thing I noticed was..no rear bulkhead

So the very first step is fabricating a bulkhead So this is going to be a challange to my (non-existant ) scratch-building skills.

The only picture I could find on line of the rear bulkhead was

wish me luck

later
iflytb20
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kerala, India / भारत
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 04:17 AM UTC
The story so far

I'm building a Revell 1/200 B737-200 in BA colors
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 06:07 AM UTC
Bruce, I rememer the Cessna 337 back in the early 1960's. We all thought that that was the bird of the future and how beautful that it was. Good luck on your build.

Bob
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 - 01:18 PM UTC
Hey guys, I've finally gotten a few spare minutes at the workbench and started my entry. Since Guy (mtnflyer) stole my entry I was forced to dig even deeper into my stash. I'll be building the Minicraft Cessna 172 floatplane in 1/48 scale.

The Box:

I started the cockpit tonight:

I decided not to waste any time sanding out the sink marks since they will be covered by the seats. As soon as the Future coat is dry I'll slap on a dark wash to highlight the lines in the seats. Then It'll be time to tackle the dash and gauges.

Hermon
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 - 01:53 PM UTC
Hermon it looks like you are headed to Alaska with that rig, nice looking leather on those seats there.

Bob
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 12:00 PM UTC
Thanks Bob, long time no see my friend.

Got to spend a few more minutes at the bench tonight. The engine is done (can't see it after final assembly) and the fuselage is buttoned up.

I've also added a few fishing sinkers to the insides of the floats (my usual 9mm bullets won't fit).

So far this is turning out to be a fantastic little kit. I'm pretty sure that the advertised 1/48 scale on the box is way off but as of right now, the way this little sucker is going together I think I'll start looking around for some more of these minicraft kits.

Hermon
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 01:09 PM UTC
WOW! Hermon how fast can you go that engine looks good even if the photo is fuzzy, no kidding. Cant wait to see some more pics.

Bob
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 09:21 AM UTC
Hi Everyone.

Lots of nice builds going on here. I got my 1/72 Airfix COncorde out the other day and started dry fitting bits and pieces.. Fit of the fuselage pieces can be best summarised as 'approximate'. The tail area looks good until you try and hold the fin together and see that it has been moulded all wrong and heaps will heave to be removed before the surfaces will ever mate up. The area ahead of the wing is good but the main fuselage bit has a big warp in my kit and at least one of the large locating lugs has broken off. I was not tried test fitting one half of the fuselage together and the joins where the nose and tail join the main fuselage is less than 'approximate'...

After building many 1/32 Trumpeter kits lately I have become accustom to good fit and this Airfix kit SHOULD be better for the price you pay for it. I have built many limited run kits that are better than this one.

I am not sure if I will bother with this one at the moment or build another model. I have several more to choose from. I am very disappointed with the Concorde but will probably give it a go. Hopefully it won't become one of those kits that end up inhabiting the 'might never get finished' pile, of which I have reduced quite a lot in the last few months..

Model on....
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 10:16 AM UTC
Warren, if anyone can make a bad kit look good it's you. I've seen enough of your finished models to know how talented you are.

I have finished major assembly of my Cessna and the bright white paint is drying as I speak. I left off the wing supports until after the decals are on.

So far this little kit is still superb. I made one goof-up somehow by letting some sanding debris get into the cabin and now it's sticking to the inside of the cockpit windshield.

I'll put on a coat of Future after supper tonight and then it's decals and wash.

Hermon
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 11:07 AM UTC

Hi all
This will be my entry for this campaign, a rather ancient Airfix kit of the DH 88 Comet. Some great builds going on here folks, nice one.
All the best.
tim
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 05:14 PM UTC
Thanks for that Hermon! You have convinced me and I will rush off and give it a start..
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2010 - 03:07 PM UTC
Got decals on one side of her. I'll do the other side tomorrow and paint the prop.

Hermon
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2010 - 03:50 PM UTC
WOW! Hermon that was fast and it looks good also. Did you do a wash for the panel lines are is that decals?

Bob
jenshb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2010 - 11:41 PM UTC
I've come late to the party and have a Revell A330 that had the fuselage glued together and windows filled ages ago. Recently I glued the wings together. Will that be OK to enter?

Jens
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 04:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

WOW! Hermon that was fast and it looks good also. Did you do a wash for the panel lines are is that decals?

Bob

Thanks Bob
The panel lines were done with ProModeler dark gray wash. I decided to do the wash before the decals this time.

Hermon