Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
P40 Work Truck Campaign Late 2010 Early 2011
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 08:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks good to me. Any significance to the ribbon colors?

Not really. I started with olive drab with yellow stripes, but just thought sky blue looked better. changed the stripes to orange to contrast better with the blue, while still being of similar tone (so as to not detract from the black silhouette or white lettering).

if you have some colors in mind, i can change it up.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 09:06 AM UTC
Hmm, I think I need a better monitor.
Mine makes your orange look like khaki, so I was trying to make sense of khaki and light blue....

Almost every flag on the user's list includes red and white. So I started thinking in that direction, but I think they would overshadow the silhouette. I agree the point is the P-40, so I vote to leave it as is.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 09:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmm, I think I need a better monitor.
Mine makes your orange look like khaki, so I was trying to make sense of khaki and light blue....

Almost every flag on the user's list includes red and white. So I started thinking in that direction, but I think they would overshadow the silhouette. I agree the point is the P-40, so I vote to leave it as is.

How about wider stripes in red - red white blue and black should cover most users colors.

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 09:58 AM UTC
I like number 2 Vance. BTW, check out the review I did a while back on the Hasegawa P-40N "15,000" anniversary 1/32 scale. It has decals representing every nation that flew the 40. I know you couldn't fit all those symbols onto a ribbon but it'd be pretty cool if it were possible.

BTW, thanks for joining Vance.

Hermon
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 10:24 AM UTC
I guess the monitor is off the hook. I swear that I looked at Van's post 3 times before I saw the new ribbon.

I was a bit hesitant to suggest red white and blue, it seemed too American centric. Especially since we're got 2 Aussies, a German and a Finn onboard. However, you've struck just the right balance. It looks really good.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 01:17 PM UTC
@ Torsten: Thanks for the information regarding your uncle we need to do a Russia Campaign in the future. As to your builds, they both sound great.

@ Vance: Like Herman, I like the second, I have vista and have had no luck with ribbons. Are you using XP paint, if so I think my next purchase will the Microsoft XP.

@ Herman: I had the chance to view your review on that P-40 15,000, that plane has a lot of color on it. I dont think I would like to try installing the decals. I have enough pain in installing the few that I do finally plant on a model.

BTW I started college today, wow were the classes packed and the addons had to be turnd away.

Robert
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 04:17 PM UTC
Herman I've got a treat for you, I found my copy of "A Flying Tiger's Diary" by Charles R. Bond Jr. and was only able to scan (3) photos before the scanner started giving me trouble. One photo is of your uncle Ed Rector with Charlie, and Tex Hill. As soon as I am able to correct the problem I plan to scan the other photo's and let everyone have a look. There are some P-40 shots along with other a/c.

BOOK COVER:
A Flying Tiger's Diary

CHARLIE BONDS AUTOGRAPH:
Charlie Bond's autograph

CHARLIE BOND, TEX HILL, ED RECTOR
AVG photo

Robert
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 04:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Vance: Like Herman, I like the second, I have vista and have had no luck with ribbons. Are you using XP paint, if so I think my next purchase will the Microsoft XP.

I am using Paint.net. It is free and has about 70% of Photoshop's basic features.

http://www.getpaint.net/
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 05:10 PM UTC
Thanks Vance, I just downloaded the software after having to go through all of their crap before I was finally able to. I will give it a try.

Robert
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 04:09 AM UTC
Boy, does Charlie have "Fighter Pilot" written all over him!
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 01:47 PM UTC
We need (2) more interested to make it (10) and we can submit this to the staff.

OK! So far there are (8) of us who think the P-40 is worth a tribute. And we are in aphabetical order:

AussieReg = Damian
Bigrip74 = Robert
BlackWidow = Torsten
Blueheeler = Nick
Emeritus = Eetu
md72 = Mark
vanize = Vance
VonCuda = Herman
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 10:26 PM UTC
Hi!

OK, count me in!

I have plenty of P-40´s waiting to be built!

I´m tangled up in almost every campaign now, phew....

Cheers!

Stefan E
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 12:44 AM UTC
Someone mentioned finnish P-40? Maybe I could pop the Hasegawa KH-51..

I'm in!

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 04:18 AM UTC
Hello Stefan and Tuomas you make (10), now we need to review the rules and time frame. So give me some start dates that everyone can live with, and lets pin down the rules. Below is the big ten list.

AussieReg = Damian
Bigrip74 = Robert
BlackWidow = Torsten
Blueheeler = Nick
Emeritus = Eetu
md72 = Mark
Phantom2 = Stefan
TuomasH = Tuomas
vanize = Vance
VonCuda = Herman

@ Tuomas: nice photo do you have any history that goes with it? What colors are on this P-40 and do you know the unit, I think that it would be interesting to know what force was apposing it.

@ Stefan: I think that this campaign should not start at least until the end of this year when everyone is hopefully done with most of their other campagins. And you can thin out some of your stash for the rest of us to look at.

As soon as we agree on the time frame I will submit this.

Robert
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 10:52 AM UTC
Robert, I'm in a campaign starting in Jan, 2011 and another starting in Feb, 2011. How about a start date of March 1st, 2011 for the P-40 campaign? Say March 1st to August 1st.....that'd be 6 months.

Hermon
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 05:11 AM UTC

That's cool, Hermon! I'm in the Spitfire Campaign starting January 2011 and my own campain (well, as co-leader) "Zerstörer" will start in March 2011. If you start in March I would join later with my second pair of P-40 (dutch and Tomahawk). What about starting in November 2010? I could wait until then with my Pacific-Warhawks? I think 2 months are more than enough time for me to throw these Hasegawa "Easy Kits" together. But 6 months total time should be good for everyone.

Happy modelling
Torsten

PS: March 1st to August 1st are only 5 months ....
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 07:52 AM UTC
I hope Tuomas doesn't mind me answering, but I just happen to be sitting with reference books around me...

Marked as "white 23", the Soviet-operated P-40 made a forced landing after running out of fuel while on a training flight (it was hit by Finnish AA fire but didn't sustain damage to any vital parts). It was then evacuated and handed over to the mechanics' school for repairs. After an overhaul it was issued to Fighter Squadron 32 in June 1944, where it saw very limited service, mainly evaluation flights, due to the lack of spare parts.

That photo Tuomas posted is from around mid-September 1944, when the yellow eastern front markings where overpainted after the hostilities with the Soviet Union ceased. The uppersides where painted olive green, undersides light blue (the so-called 'DN color')

Here's a nice site about the Finnish air force in WW2: Backwoods Landing Strip
The articles about the P-40M and Hawk 75s:
P-40M
Hawk 75
(as the site utilizes frames, those last two links lead to just the respective pages, without the navigation menu)

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 08:38 AM UTC
Eetu, thanks for the links. I liked the Hawk 75 profiles, this means that I will have to build my
P-36 and use one of those schemes. I have a B/C and an F in my stash to choose from at the moment. More need to give an idea of the time frame that they have in mind before I submit.

Robert
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 09:04 AM UTC
Hmm, I built Revell's P-36 centuries ago. Those profiles tempt to to find another one.....

Timing, I'm open. I'm looking at a P-51 later this year and the century series early next year.

Robert, Since we have ten have you submitted a campaign? Oh, nevermind, I need to learn to read before typing....
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 12:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

More need to give an idea of the time frame that they have in mind before I submit.

Robert

Hi Rob, I have the Spitfire and Century Series Campaigns starting in Jan, Cold War in Feb, and Torsten and I have the Zerstorer slated for a March 2011 start. Maybe I need to learn to say no !!

I would be happy with a March start and 6-8 month run time for this one.

Cheers, D
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 01:37 PM UTC
Well the masses have spoken and the consensues is March 1, 2011 to say about Sept. 30 2011 What say ye?

Robert
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 02:05 PM UTC
I went ahead and submitted to the staff for the campaign to run from 3/1/2011 to 9/1/2011. Herman and I had a coversation before the thread took off and he is the copilot/lead on the campaign.

Robert
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 02:47 PM UTC
I thought that I would share this with everyone incase you were not able to go to the link.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

This fits with my own ideas regarding this aircraft and it accomplishments in WW II.

Robert
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 09:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Herman and I had a coversation before the thread took off and he is the copilot/lead on the campaign.

Robert

Copilot....definitely copilot. Gentlemen, get ready to have the most fun you've ever experienced sober and fully clothed. And may God have mercy on our souls. These poor guys have NO idea what they've stepped into.

BTW Robert, GREAT article. Very true and very accurate.

Hermon
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 10:10 AM UTC
Robert, that's a great read. Thanks for posting it. I've read a lot about the P-40 over the years and have never had a second thought about its pedigree, and this article summarizes it really well.

Hermon, I love your attitude. If this Campaign is going to be as much fun as you describe, maybe I'd better go get the 1/24th VFS kit to do here instead of the 1/48 Academy I have in the stash, because apparently size MIGHT matter. What do you think ?? (and remember, YOU will have to explain this to the minister for War and Finance, and being on the other side of the planet is no obstacle to her wrath )

Cheers, D