Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
P40 Work Truck Campaign Late 2010 Early 2011
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 09:14 AM UTC
Has there been a campaign for P40s? If not I propose one for the work truck of WW II. Flown by just about all combating nations, from the early days to the last. Made famous by the Commonwealth in Africa, AVG in China/Burma, Austraila, New Zealand, US In New Guinea, Russia on their own land, France in Africa/Italy, US in Italy. There are so many different markings to build that the choices are endless. So if there is enough interest I think this would be a campaign that would generate much information and data sharing. In hindsight, the P36 should be included along with any prototypes also.

Prelimanary Rules:

1. P40 and P36.
2. Any scale.
3. WW II era.
4. Any Nation.
5. Any Unit.
6. 2 inprogress photos.
7. Documentation of unit markings (book,media,kit,aftermarket,decal,photo), to be posted during build progress.

Robert
Blueheeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 09:38 AM UTC
Why the hell not; not that I'm in any other campaigns!!
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 10:07 AM UTC
Hello Nick:
How many campiagns are you in, for me (1) is too many I have always loved the P40 ever since my boyhood and John Wayne in Flying Tigers and God is my Copilot movies that I would watch on tv with my brother in the early 1960s. Since my Navy days as aircrew in P3s I viewed the P40 more in the light of what it was (a work truck) and less from romance. I still love the P40s in the Hawaiian scheme at the time of 12/7/41. It is an easy build for me also

Robert
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 01:04 PM UTC
Robert, I'm in 6 or 7 million campaigns this year but I'd drop out of half of them to do this one with you. My great Uncle was one of the original Flying Tigers....matter of fact he had the first confirmed kill of the AVG. I've built his plane already but there are several more in the stash including a Vintage Fighters 1/24 scale P-40.

Hope this one gets off the ground. If you need an assistant I'll be here.

Hermon
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 02:05 PM UTC
Hermon, if this is a go would you be willing to co-lead this campaign? I know that you are proud of your uncle and should be. I personally would like to see a drawing/print/picture of a/c that he flew. Back in 1967 during Jr. High School in Dallas, TX. I had a paper route and one of my customers had been in the AVG. He let me view his scrap/photo book and the Chinese dollars (coin)that he was paid with. Too young to realize the significance of encounter and that is all I remember. In 1993 I spent the summer with my dad who custom made knives (ROBERT RIPPY) and had become freinds with Charlie Bond who would come by his house/shop in Emory, TX. and talk about the knives. I was able to speak with him and get one of his prints displaying his #5 P40B/Hawk 81A-2.
I was on Wikipedia and have their complete list of P40 Operaters and a sample list of some famous pilots.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Robert
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 12:52 AM UTC
Robert, I'll help you any way I can. Here's a pic of Ed Rector, my Uncle.

I have loads of info about him but here's a link to get you started.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_F._Rector

If you want to look on the History Channel website, he was in a Flying Tigers documentary back in 2000 I believe it was. They interviewed him quite a bit.

Hermon
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 09:20 PM UTC
Herman, thanks for the link to Ed Rector's page on Wikipedia. I noticed that he passed away in 2001, I remember watching History Channels Dogfights season #1 and I thought that they made a referance to him. I will have to see it again. I have read other accounts on your uncle but, I do not remember which pursuit squadron that he belonged to ( 1st. 2nd. or 3rd. ) Charlie Bond was in the 1st. and a conversation I had with him one time was that he had been involved in creating the Adam and Eve markings since that was the very first pursuit.

Robert
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 09:13 AM UTC
Robert,

the P-40 is also one of my all time favourite aircrafts used in every theater (mention the area and I show you the Warhawk ) and was flown right to the end of the war. The Netherlands flew the P-40 even still in 1948 in the Dutch East Indies (today Indonesia). Actually I planned to build 2 CBI and PTO Warhawks soon after finishing my 2 Black Beauties for the Twin Boom Campaign. When do you plan to start the campaign? I might wait until then ....
Oh, btw, the P-40 M that was used by the Finnish Air Force in WW 2 was a captured russian Warhawk with the finnish registration KH-51 used by HLeLv 32. But they used several P-36 (named as Curtiss Hawk 75) captured by the Germans in France and sold to Finland. Anyway, if it fits me, I'm in your campaign!

@Hermon
I recently bought that DVD with the interview of your uncle! Now I will see it with different eyes. Btw, one of my late uncles (sadly died in 2004) was also a pilot in WW 2 but at a different front .... He flew close air support with a Henschel Hs 129 in Russia. No job to become famous .... Unfortunatly he died when I got interested in aviation modelling ....

Happy modelling
Torsten
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 09:32 AM UTC
Boy, I'm sure tempted... I found 3 P-40 kits in the stash last week and I'm sure there's 1 or 2 more. OTOH, I never seem to get anything done. I'll keep an eye on this one.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 10:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Robert,

the P-40 is also one of my all time favourite aircrafts used in every theater (mention the area and I show you the Warhawk ) and was flown right to the end of the war. The Netherlands flew the P-40 even still in 1948 in the Dutch East Indies (today Indonesia). Actually I planned to build 2 CBI and PTO Warhawks soon after finishing my 2 Black Beauties for the Twin Boom Campaign. When do you plan to start the campaign? I might wait until then ....
Oh, btw, the P-40 M that was used by the Finnish Air Force in WW 2 was a captured russian Warhawk with the finnish registration KH-51 used by HLeLv 32. But they used several P-36 (named as Curtiss Hawk 75) captured by the Germans in France and sold to Finland. Anyway, if it fits me, I'm in your campaign!

@Hermon
I recently bought that DVD with the interview of your uncle! Now I will see it with different eyes. Btw, one of my late uncles (sadly died in 2004) was also a pilot in WW 2 but at a different front .... He flew close air support with a Henschel Hs 129 in Russia. No job to become famous .... Unfortunatly he died when I got interested in aviation modelling ....

Happy modelling
Torsten

@Torsten, thanks for the information. There has not been much in my library on the scandinavian countries and their experiances in combat with the P 40, I would like to learn more as we go along in this thread.

I was searching the web and came across this article that describes the P-40 as I see it. Link below

http://www.chuckhawks.com/p40.htm

@Herman, did you ever have the chance to talk to your uncle or was it like me and had too many other things in the way to even think about it? Hindsight is a kick in the pants, after reading the article, now I would have loved to have had a conversation with Charlie Bond on the P 40s qualities.
You know I keep getting smarting as I age and tell myself what I should have done.

Robert:(
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 10:56 AM UTC
@Mark:

The P-40 was my favorite aircraft while young and later as I read the notion that it was much more than a billboard for the AVG started to come out in statistics. As the article above states it gave better than it recieved. Below is a site with some nice pics but none of any Scandinavian a/c.

http://www.p40warhawk.com/WW2_Era/Photos/Photos.htm

Robert
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 11:02 AM UTC
Torsten, I'd love to have that DVD of the Flying Tigers. Every time the re-run comes on the History Channel both my boys call their friends and tell them to tune it in to see their famous relative.

Robert, as per your question: The AVG had three active squadrons, Hells Angles, Adam & Eves', and the Panda Bears. Ed Rector was vice-squadron leader of the Panda Bears squadron. His first plane was #36 and he crash landed it after running out of fuel, I believe it was on the first mission where he shot down the Lilly bomber which was the first kill by the AVG. His second plane was #104. He was also one of the handfull of pilots who stayed on with Chennault after the US Army Air Corp took over control of the unit. I did talk to him lots of times before he died in 01. He wanted me to go to college at the US Airforce Academy but my grades were'nt good enough. He also gave me the blood chit out of his leather jacket and I framed it and hung it on the wall of my bedroom. Sadly, when our house burned many years ago it was all lost.

Anyway, I hope there is enough entrest. The P-40 is my all time favorite plane so I'm looking forward to building yet another one.

Hermon
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 04:35 AM UTC
Having a couple of suitable kits in my stash, I might this one a go.

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Robert,
Oh, btw, the P-40 M that was used by the Finnish Air Force in WW 2 was a captured russian Warhawk with the finnish registration KH-51 used by HLeLv 32. But they used several P-36 (named as Curtiss Hawk 75) captured by the Germans in France and sold to Finland.

@Torsten, thanks for the information. There has not been much in my library on the scandinavian countries and their experiances in combat with the P 40, I would like to learn more as we go along in this thread.

The single P-40 Warhawk operated by the FAF was used for only some evaluation and test flights due to the lack of spare parts. For those possibly wondering, the registry letters "KH" come from the aircraft being misidentified as a Kittyhawk.

All in all, the FAF operated 44 Hawk 75s, with 190⅓ enemy planes shot down for the loss of 15. Fourteen pilots achieved ace status flying Hawks.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 09:48 AM UTC
Come on guys. Of all the future campaigns, we can't let this one fizzle out and die. I know everyone has at least 1 P-40 in their stash.

Hermon
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 09:58 AM UTC
Ohhhh alright, if you insist. I'm sure I can squeeze a P-40 into my WAAAAAY overcrowded schedule.

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 12:01 PM UTC
Wouldn't be the same without ya D!
Now, go find some more of those crazy Aussie friends of yours and bully them into signing up.

Hermon
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 12:25 PM UTC
OK! So far there are (8) of us who think the P-40 is worth a tribute. And we are in aphabetical order:

AussieReg = Damian
Bigrip74 = Robert
BlackWidow = Torsten
Blueheeler = Nick
Emeritus = Eetu
md72 = Mark
vanize = Vance
VonCuda = Herman

Herman is right, the P-40 is important enough for many reasons, personal, historic, patriotic.
For 2 years this mount took the brunt of the battle and at least held the line until greater numbers could be brought to bear. Herman you previously shared with us about your uncle Ed Rector, are there any other history that you have?

@ Eetu: could you expand on the P-40 in your surrounding area, such as the pilots and ground crew that you previously mentioned?

@ Damian: I know that there is a rich amount of data on the P-40 serving in the RAAF along with some notable pilots. What stories do know (passed on by word of mouth)

@ Nick: you are also downunder and have a rich heritage at your disposle, are there any members that you have in your closet who were around any P-40's?

@ Torsten: your comment regarding your uncle in Russia has a history. Do you know if he or others had come across the P-40?

@ Mark: what is in your closet/family regarding WWII?

I myself only know what I have read and the few conversations that I had with Charlie Bond. So we can pool our personal knowledge into a rich history of our ancesters and the P-40, what do you say?

Robert
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 04:22 PM UTC
Well, my Dad was Army Air Corps, but he was a gunnery instructor on B-24's. So no family connection. I guess it's the legends of the AVG and a under appreciated little fighter.

Looks like I've got Academy's P-40B, Heller's P-40, Hasegawa's P-40E and a Pavla Hawk 81-A (P-40A), all in 1/72. Probably do one of the first 3, the Pavla looks kike too much of a challenge.

vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 04:30 PM UTC
I am 100% behind a P-40 campaign. I have more P-40s waiting to be built than any other type.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 05:20 PM UTC
@ Mark: you do have a family connection, those gunnery instructors gave us personel to fight the war and the B-24 was later supplied to the CATF to fly along side the P-40s in china if my memory serves me correctly.

@ Vance: As a fellow Texan living in CA, glad to have you aboard, been a while since we conversed, I have (3) P-40s at the moment. Otaki P-40E, Academy P-40C, ?P-40F, and an AMT P-36A.

Note: I have had no success in producing a ribbon with Windows VISTA in the past, can anyone help out in this and a banner?

Robert
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 06:14 PM UTC
Just some enticement, the link below has all of variants with no. built and data.
http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=2208

Robert
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 04:06 AM UTC
Robert,

Thanks for the link. The photos of the early P-40's reminded me why I managed to stock up on so many of the early ones. Although I still have 2 boxes of kits to go through, there might be a -M/N in the stash.

My Dad is proud of his 39 months service in WWII, even prouder of the college degree he got on the GI Bill because of it. But I don't see much connection between training waist gunners for the ETO and stick and rudder gunnery in the the Far East. So I'm in this for the airplane and not dear old Dad. Talk to me later (when I have the space) about a B-24 build for him.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 07:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Torsten: your comment regarding your uncle in Russia has a history. Do you know if he or others had come across the P-40?

I'm sorry, Robert, but I know hadly that my uncle was a Henschel Hs 129 pilot during WW 2 in Russia. We rarely spoke about it, as we havn't seen eachother often, only at family parties. He was the husband of my mother's sister. I don't know his rank or unit he was in. But he told me once that he had to destroy artillery posts, killing tanks and other things which gave the guys on the ground trouble. He also didn't tell me about his captivity time. Sure it was no holiday park at all in Russia .... But he suvived all this without a scratch, and that's what counts. He was 24 years old when the war ended. And as I've written earlier, he passed away when I got interested in aviation modelling. Today I would have lots of questions. And of course I have here 2 Henschel Hs 129 in 1:48 waiting to be build one day.

But anyway, I'm in your camapign with either 2 american P-40 N (Hasegawa 1:48) or a dutch P-40 N (Hasegawa) and a Desert Air Force Tomahawk (Trumpeter 1:48).

Happy modelling
Torsten
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 08:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Note: I have had no success in producing a ribbon with Windows VISTA in the past, can anyone help out in this and a banner?

How about this as a ribbon?:

md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 08:09 AM UTC
Looks good to me. Any significance to the ribbon colors?