Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official PIN-UPS CAMPAIGN
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 12:34 PM UTC
Super job Hermon, I love it (and not just for the art ). Tell me what you used for the exhaust weathering, it looks really good.

Cheers, D
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 12:55 PM UTC
good job hermon very well done.cheers and dont forget to put a picture in the gallery for your ribbon if you havent already.

Build On,
Justin
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 07:22 AM UTC
Thanks guys! Glad ya'll like her.

D, the exhaust was painted with Model Masters Rust, then dusted with some various shades of chalk sticks. Not nearly as realistic as some of the other guys produce but near enough.

Justin, I'll pop a photo into the gallery as soon as the gallery is up and running again. Been down for a couple days now. And BTW, thanks for a freakin' awsome campaign idea. WIth all the different nose art decals on the market now days this should be an annual campaign.

Hermon
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 - 09:51 PM UTC
There seems to be an abundance of Wine Bottle Foil around my house so I thought I'd do something about it . . .

Closing up the fuselage and wings on tonight YAY !!
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 02:11 AM UTC
As promised . . . .

With a bit of strategic sanding and scraping the wing fit wasn't too bad. There's still some filler required, but the Lady is progressing well now.

Cheers, D
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 06:11 AM UTC
good work D its coming around well cant wait to see you land.

Build On,
Justin
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 06:30 AM UTC
Hey Damian, I always wondered what it was like to fly the P-61 at night and fire all ot that hardware. From an article I read ( I think it was in wings/airpower) the handling characteristics were pretty cat like. Waiting patiently to see the finished build. BTW how do you or any one here build more than 4 models and finish them in time for the campaign?

Bob
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 10:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW how do you or any one here build more than 4 models and finish them in time for the campaign?
Bob

By COMPLETELY ignoring the wife and kids, and housework, and garden

I just put an hour or so aside each night once the kids are in bed, but I plan pretty well in advance exactly what I need to get done. It's quite surprising how much you can achieve in a short time if you're focussed. Just ask Justin, I'm sure sometimes there's 3 of him working together
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 08:36 AM UTC
LOL I think D said it best and I get in alot of trouble it will probably end in divorce but hay theres always the impending zombie apocalypse...

Build On,
Justin
ViperAtl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 331 posts
AeroScale: 135 posts
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 - 03:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There seems to be an abundance of Wine Bottle Foil around my house so I thought I'd do something about it . . .

That seems to happen alot when a woman is present in the house. Currently there is a pile of bottle foil in the kitchen in my house.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 - 04:52 AM UTC
I've Started my P-51. I decided not to go with a cockpit set in the end but I have ordered some quickboost exhausts and tail wheel bay. Here the state of play so far.

Basically I've just got the base colours down. next will be to pick out details, install etch seat harness, Klear, washes, Highlights and the flat varnish. hopefully the bit would have arrived by then so I can close it up.

As always comments, suggestions and critique is always welcomed
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 - 02:12 PM UTC
good start tom it will be done in no time.

Build On,
Justin
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 08:30 AM UTC
Thanks Justin, I don't know as I won't be able to go any further until the tail wheel bay arrives at the LHS. Until then I'll tinker with other parts but work may have to continue with some other projects until then.

Cheers

Allen
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 04:20 PM UTC
A beautifully finished P-39 from Hermon and Damian is coming right along with his P-61.

Thought I would post a progress of my Spitfire effort so far, just to let you know I'm trying. Sorry, I know the photo's are horrid.

I'm not the type to be over-concerned about intricate detail. I just try to put together an "acceptable" miniature, and have fun while I'm doing it. It wasn't until after the seat was installed that I found out they were made of wood. Also, I used masking tape to mimic the seat harness. Rather a poor job. Then I found that wonderful article on how to do it properly right here on the forum.

Just an old beginner trying to enjoy it, and learning new technique every time I try. I'm happy with it, and as I learn, I might get it right one day.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not the type to be over-concerned about intricate detail. I just try to put together an "acceptable" miniature, and have fun while I'm doing it.

I love your attitude Guy, and I agree 100%. If it looks like a spitfire when you're finished and you had fun while building it then it was well worth the effort. Too many people spend thousands of dollars on this hobby only to get frustrated and quit because there finished kit doesn't measure up to "professional" standards. It's just a hobby. Build it......learn from your mistakes.....have fun! That's what it's all about.

Hermon
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 05:58 AM UTC
I have to agree with cuda hes right and it looks fine to me.

Build On,
Justin
WingTzun
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 853 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 06:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'm not the type to be over-concerned about intricate detail. I just try to put together an "acceptable" miniature, and have fun while I'm doing it.

I love your attitude Guy, and I agree 100%. If it looks like a spitfire when you're finished and you had fun while building it then it was well worth the effort. Too many people spend thousands of dollars on this hobby only to get frustrated and quit because there finished kit doesn't measure up to "professional" standards. It's just a hobby. Build it......learn from your mistakes.....have fun! That's what it's all about.

Hermon

Well said Hermon, Well Said
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 06:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hermon

Hermon, you're a very wise man and I agree 100% as well. The only problem for me is that with my skills "it looks like a Spitfire when I'm finished" even when it started out as a Lancaster !!

Guy, I build to please myself, to relax, unwind and have fun, and to meet some super people from all over the world on forums like this one. That's what it's all about for me.

Anyhooooo, the Lady has booms, time to have a go at stretching some sprue to fill a few gaps here and there. I'll try not to set fire to too much stuff, and yes Hermon, I'll put the bourbon glass at a safe distance

Cheers all, D
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 - 03:05 AM UTC
D, you're killing me with these old Monogram kits. I've never been able to make them look decent, but you and a few other guys consistantly pull it off.

Raised panel lines..... ....... ........

Hermon
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

D, you're killing me with these old Monogram kits. I've never been able to make them look decent, but you and a few other guys consistantly pull it off.

Raised panel lines..... ....... ........

Hermon

Yeah, it's all done with smoke and mirrors, and stand WAY back to take photos.
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 - 10:56 AM UTC
Hi all!

Many beatiful builds going on here!

Time for me to get my own build rolling!

My build for this campaign will be Special Hobby’s P-39D/MkI Airacobra;

The kit comes in a very large box, and when opened you’ll find some very well moulded grey sprues, along with a smaller clear sprue.

The decal sheet is very well printed, and of very high quality!

In the same bag as the decals, you’ll find not one, but TWO sheets with etched parts.
One sheet is pre-painted and the other is “normal”, these etched sheets are of course supplied by Eduard!
You also get some resin parts, two styles of exhausts (six- and twelve-stacked) and a very nice gun sight.

A well-drawn and clear assembly sheet, along with a big, folded four-color camouflage-drawing completes the package.

As I’m going to build “Air-A-Cutie”, which was a P-39F (same as a “D”, but with different armament); I’ll need the twelve stacked exhausts.
This aircraft had a very special nose-art (as already seen on Hermons Beautiful build), and my decals comes from the Mexican firm Zotz.

I have used these decals many times before and they have always been a treat to use!
These decals are among the very best you can use, top class quality, and I can recommend them wholeheartedly!

This is the aircraft I will build;

….and a brief look at the beautiful decal sheet;

As always I’ll start assembling as much as I can before I have to paint.

After a couple of hours, I have quite a pile of parts before me;

More to come soon!

Cheers!

Stefan E

Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 - 01:02 PM UTC
That looks like an awsome kit phantom they really packed it in there.
@D nice progress its looking good and it was a treat meeting you sir if im ever in austraila ill have to stop by and raid your stash.

Build On,
Justin
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 - 04:39 PM UTC
Thanks Justin, I'm enjoying building the big Widow a lot, I can see some more of these in future campaigns.

Stefan, I have that kit in my humble stash (hands OFF Justin !!) so I will be paying close attention to your build here. Please let me know if you find any particular problem areas

Cheers, D
SUNDON
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 158 posts
AeroScale: 155 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 07:54 PM UTC
I'm a late starter on this and as it's my first campaign I wasn't to sure on my build choice.I've decided to try this - the Revell P-47N

I've built the kit OOB and only added some wire(for detail) to the engine and for some break lines.

Thanks and good luck to everyone on there builds.

Martin

Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 05:49 AM UTC
Good build when did you start?love the nose art

Build On,
Justin