Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official PIN-UPS CAMPAIGN
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 12:48 PM UTC
On a big compound curve like a bubbletop you really only need to lay up a very thin section of Tamiya tape along the framing line. After that you can fill in the rest with liquid masking film.

... That's just one way to tackle it. I haven't checked but I bet there are Eduard masks also available for that kit too.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Fred
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 01:43 PM UTC
Ray, glad that I could be of some help. Take Cinzano's suggestion which you already havd mentioned and you are off and running again.

Bob
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 02:38 PM UTC
I hate to be the one to rain on rays parade but getting a canopy from Hasegawa is like buying your way out of he'll.I've been waiting for a canopy for my harrier for over year.They don't care just want to sell you the expensive kit.Your better off to order vacuform canopy from spruebrothers

Order for BMF:
#1 put BMF on canopy
#2 lightly rub Bmf on with Q-tip until general shape of framing comes out
#3 Take tooth pick and lightly go around framing.
#4 Take your hobby knife and and lightly cut out framing remove excess with tweezers.

Any questions about anything don't be afraid to ask anyone on here.
The only stupid question is an un-asked question.

Build on,
Justin
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 12:34 AM UTC
Thanks for the heads up Justin. Lucky for me, I have 3 Hasegawa Mustangs in the stash, so I can sub in a new canopy until I get a new one! I will try Sprue Brothers though, really strange that I haven't been able to find a replacement canopy for my Harrier either! If you tell me you're a big A-10 and Stuka-G fan, I might start poking myself with sharp objects to see if you can feel it! HAHA! I might try the BMF again, I mean what the hell, as long as I can get a vac formed replacement...
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 03:40 AM UTC
A-10 yes stuka no sorry. Ive called Hasegawa 3 times trying to get a canopy and its the same thing everytime:sure will get one right to you! crap like i said been over a year and no canopy.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 09:59 AM UTC
Quick update Alclad is on and so is the red and the OD anti glare.

Just waiting for the Miracle Masks to arrive now.

(Sorry about the photos the weather hasn't been too good for taking them today)

I forgot to post them a couple of weeks ago but, the only addition I've added is the Quickboost tail wheel bay. Here's a pic of when I was installing it.

As always comments, suggestions and critique is always welcome
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 10:11 AM UTC
Allen, nice job you make the alclad look too easy. Will be waiting to view the finished photos.

Bob
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 10:59 AM UTC
absolutely beautiful bird Allen!
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 12:25 PM UTC
Wow good work Allen can't wait to see the end result.How is Sam?
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 08:12 PM UTC
Thanks Guys, this project will be on hold for a couple of weeks now as I need to get a couple of other project to the painting stage before the masks arrive (so I can do them all at the same time) but hopefully it won't be too long.

Quoted Text

How is Sam?

Sam's doing ok, the cast was hopefully coming off last week but although the top break has healed the bottom one hasn't so she'll have to keep the cast on for a while longer yet. We're back at the hospital in 3 weeks so hopefully it'll be better news then
armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 08:19 AM UTC
WHY,OH WHY do`nt i have a digital camera
I`ve been following these since the campaign started and would`ve loved to contribute with some photos of my Desert Storm Tornado (Nikki),P-51D Mustang (Charles Weaver`s mount) and a Hypothetical Lakenheath F-15C (using an "artiscticaly" posed redhead left over from the Charles Weaver sheet !).
All in glorious 1/32nd scale !,oh well maybe one day
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 11:40 AM UTC
Hello still here (just about) I actually sat down and got some of my campaign entry done

SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 01:17 PM UTC
Off to a good start Samantha, What's the scale on that B-17? Looks to be eye hurting and tweezer fumblingly small...

Anyhoo, I've been making myself smarter, my masks should be here soon, I picked up some liquid mask yesterday, and I feel more confident about getting my canopy right this time! So I hope to be able to show some more progress pics soon, didn't get anything done today because we had a double-header on the hurling pitch, but I started reading a wonderful book I picked up at Half Priced Books yesterday ( right next door to Hobbytown, sweetest strip mall ever, it's like heaven on earth! ) It's The Great Book of World War II Airplanes, covering production and development of 12 planes ( P-38, P-51, B-17, Hellcat, F4U, Spitfire, Mosquito, Lancaster, Bf 109, Fw 190, Ju 87, and the Zero). Over 600 pages of awesome!!! including 516 illustrations by Rikyu Watanabe, some of 'em are giant fold outs! Excellent book if you can get your grubby mitts on one... original price 190$ only paid 19 bucks for mine! WOOT WOOT!
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 02:27 PM UTC
Nice to have you back camo good progress scratch building always makes a model pop.
@sell good to see your staying in the fight can't make an omelet with out breaking a few eggs.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 02:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello still here (just about) I actually sat down and got some of my campaign entry done

Hi Sam, good to see you getting stuck into this build. Looking great so far. How are you doing?

Cheers, D
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 09:29 PM UTC
The kit is 1/72 and the details are thanks to the legend detail set.

Im ok just annoyed leg is still broken considering I broke it on the 20th Jan. I really need to get out on motorbike and back horse riding its driving me nuts not being able to do either Especially as there are a few new horses at the yard The other downside is Tiger (a horse I completly adored and fell in love with) got cancer and was retired from the yard and he is not long for this world so thats been heartbreaking for me.

Apart from all that Im ok still off work though. Finally able to find enough focus for a couple of hours at the bench at the weekends now as well
BlackAce
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metropolitana de Santiago, Chile
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 11:57 AM UTC
Hello Everybody.
Im Felipe from Chile, im still kind of new around here.

Really great the theme of this campaing so i wanted to join in.

I,m in my final exams right now so in the mean time i'll leave some photos of the aircraft i'll start to build in a couple of weeks.
Its Capt. Arval J. Roberson's P-51D Passion Wagon.
cant wait to start it.

greetings to all.
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 12:45 PM UTC
Very cool I have those decals good stuff
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 01:13 PM UTC
Welcome Felipe! I'm still pretty new also, but the guys and ladies here are great people and always helpful to us noobs! I love your choice for a subject, I'm becoming a P-51 fanatic, but that's one bird I hadn't seen yet! Good luck with your build!

As for my build, I now have 4 extra vac formed canopies and 3 sets of eduard masks! I'll be gone for the holiday this weekend, but next week I hope to get some time to get some work done... I'll post some pics of my progress.
Ruffus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Guatemala
KitMaker: 343 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 04:03 PM UTC
Hey Felipe!! Linda chica.

Byron
sspoonts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2010 - 05:12 PM UTC
Camogirl, I was searching tonight for "The Shamrock Special" and came across your post. I live in the Dallas, Texas area and know the man who flew "The Shamrock Special", Brigadier General James McPartlin (retired). He was a Captain then Major when during WWII. I've found a 1/48 B-17F kit and I'm going to buy the decals to build the "The Shamrock Special", too, and hope to have the general sign a wing when I'm finished. He is a wonderful, kind man of 92... I'm blessed to have met him.

Steve Spoonts
BlackAce
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metropolitana de Santiago, Chile
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2010 - 05:35 PM UTC
Hey Justin ,Ray and Byron, thanks for the answers, welcoming and encourage with the build, hope to start soon.

Byron, que gusto ver gente de habla hispana por aca. saludos a guatemala

Steve, what an honor to have met a WWII pilot, cant wait to see your signed B-17

Good luck to every one whit the builds.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2010 - 07:37 PM UTC
Hi All.

Well I finally finished my pin ups plane.. Braille scale Academy Boeing B-17G-30 'Ruby's Raiders'. The nose art was inspired by the girl who won a competition for the most beautiful service woman in the ETO as voted for by readers of a military newspaper produced during WW2.

Only real problems were self-induced, but it did require a little filler in the wing/fuselage joint and fuselage seams. I am slowly but surely getting better at filling these seams.

There are quite a few options and it is easy to miss some of them if you are not being very careful. I did use an Eduard Express mask set on this and it worked very well. I would recommend them to anyone building one of these planes with glass all over.

An enjoyable and different campaign. Keep up the good work everyone.

And remember, the fate of the world does not depend on your model kit.. Take artistic licence if you need to.. the fun police have not cracked down on that yet.

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2010 - 07:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And remember, the fate of the world does not depend on your model kit.. Take artistic licence if you need to.. the fun police have not cracked down on that yet.

Great work Warren, and you're absolutely correct. If artistic licence was outlawed I would be a lifer for sure !
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 12:59 PM UTC
Very good finish and a good story dont forget to post in the gallery if you haven't already.