Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: CAS (Close Air Support)
KrisMax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 11:52 PM UTC
Some great builds by all. And Q's base is almost too good to hide under a model!

Eoin, That Sturmovik looks great! The finish is excellent.
eoinryan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 232 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2011 - 12:31 PM UTC

@ Emre- nice job with the Skyraiders- all that masking of the tail really paid off. That's the tidiest workbench I've seen in a long time (I can't remember the colour of mine)!

@ Simon- the decals for the Sturmovik were a treat- I could do with dirtying the plane up a bit more though. The more Sturmoviks the better! Hope all is well.

Eoin
KrisMax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 01:44 AM UTC
I've had a good weekend tidying up the Hs-129. Finished engraving panel lines and started assembling the thing.

Wing roots to sand and canopy to fit, then I'll fire up the compressor, hopefully some time soon.
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
AeroScale: 255 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 05:46 AM UTC
Thanks Matthew and Eoin! Glad if you liked them.

Progress is very slow, as I have to take care of the construction work in my new home. Hopefully, tomorrow things will mostly settle and I'll start moving stuff (mainly my stash of models). Hopefully, I'll settle in two weeks and start working in my larger, newer and better lit hobby room in my new house!

Gloss coat and decals are done. While they are drying, I'm trying to get iddly biddly things done, like the arresting hooks and landing gears.

vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 04:50 AM UTC
Ok, I started a couple weeks ago, but didn't post anything, so catching up now:

my build, Hasegawa's 1/48 Hs 129B-2. I'll be doing the late version. Bought the CMK "control surfaces" aftermarket set for it as well:

It was a pretty quick build thus far. Frankly the CMK set was a disappointment and not worth the $ as the kit parts could have been used with slightly more careful cutting, and the detail is pretty much identical. The extras in the set (wing fuel tanks) were pretty much worthless to me and didn't look worth the effort. The landing flaps are the only other thing the kit couldn't reasonably provide, and I have yet to see a single picture of a non-wrecked Hs 129 with flaps not up while on the ground, so I didn't use those either.

lawlzw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 120 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 04:14 AM UTC
Looks like everyone is keeping busy! Been rather busy myself for the past few months (mostly at work tho lol), but still manage to finish up on my entry... will get photos up within the next few days. In the mean time, here are a couple of progress photos i took along the way...

Yes its another A-10A
lawlzw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 120 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 09:34 PM UTC
As promised, here is my entry, Academy's 1/72 A-10A.

Kit is built OOTB, and painted using Gunze's light and dark ghost grey. I choose not to include any stores on the aircraft, as those provided with the kit are not sufficient to portray an accurate, in-service A-10A.

Cheers!
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 01:24 AM UTC
Nicely done Lawrence. I have the same kit, but in different markings. Thanks for sharing your work. "Q"
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 02:29 AM UTC
Ever so slowly, I'm crawling to the finish line... No time to model properly because of all the hustle of getting married and setting up a new home. Never could I imagine a kitchen could contain SO MANY items, that shopping for them could take a whole weekend... and it's still not enough!

Anyway, here are my Spads before the last pre-flight check. I need to work on the exhaust stains, add landing gear bay doors, antennae and do a little more detail painting.

Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 02:39 AM UTC
Very Nice Emre. Congrats on the marriage too. Closing in on my 25th anniversary soon. "Q"
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
AeroScale: 289 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 07:02 AM UTC
Is it me or are there no Hs-123 bipes here - I can't let Steven have all the biplane fun....I've got an 1/48 Italeri Hs-123 A-1 with alot of dust on the box that's crying to be built - can I join in late?...I even have all the paints!
{I've got an old Matchbox AD-5 too, but I'm not sure I want to build that rare one yet.}
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
AeroScale: 289 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 09:29 AM UTC
Sorry, that should have been "Stephen".....you'd think I would have remembered that!
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 09:34 PM UTC
Thanks Matthew. I worked on exhaust stains some more, tried to make them look like a reference pic. The rear rainstreaked looking part was done with pigments. My USAF Spad is nearly complete (no photos of the final stage yet), the Navy Spad still needs some more work.

emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 11:07 AM UTC
Proudly announcing that my entry is finally complete. My other Spad will follow shortly.

emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 09:27 PM UTC
Here's my Navy Spad. I exaggerated the exhaust stains on the right side and I'm not really sure if the aircraft would fly with all these fuel tanks... but she's done.

KrisMax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 10:18 PM UTC
Emre,

Some high class modelling there on both spads.
I can't help wondering if you got your decals mixed up. Those stars on the first spad look very small to me.
I'm guessing you got it right and I'm just showing my lack of knowledge of anything that flew after 1945.

Simon
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 12:12 AM UTC
Hi Simon, thanks for your comment!

As for the decals... They are the right size. I'm not very well versed in aircraft, but I gathered a lot of information about Spads. Navy Spads have extra large insignia, just like other naval aircraft of the same era (Phantoms, E-6s, A-4 skyhawks, you name it). On the other hand, USAF aircraft, especially camouflaged ones have smaller numbers and insignia.
dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 918 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 02:39 AM UTC
Hi,

I´m going to begin this campaign with a 1/48 Hasegawa Henschel Hs-129,

dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 02:41 AM UTC
I´ll begin with the cockpit,

windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here's my Navy Spad. I exaggerated the exhaust stains on the right side and I'm not really sure if the aircraft would fly with all these fuel tanks... but she's done.

I imagine the engine had a timing issue, but I'm no expert on internal combustion, especially rotary engines!
Excellent work on both A-1's. Thanks for posting them!
-Sean.
dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 10:38 AM UTC
Here I´m preparing some pieces to be painted,

emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 08:39 PM UTC
Thanks Sean!

Daniel, I'm following you Hs 129 with interest, as I have the same kit in my stash and although very ugly looking it's one of the German planes I like best. Please do let us know if you run into any kind of trouble during your build.
dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 01:29 AM UTC
Thanks for your comment Emre
KrisMax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 10:02 PM UTC
Daniel,

The same aircraft but a very different kit. This is the AMT/Ertl Hs-129. I have rescribed the panel lines, a great improvement but still far behind the detail on the Hasgawa kit. I've also opted for Nth Africa markings instead of the kit supplied Eastern Front - basic green splinter scheme. I made my own (too thin) stencils for the letter 'A', balkenkreuze decals from the spares box and rub on transfers (too small) for the Swastika. The kit decals were unusable.

95% there, so it should be finished this week.

Simon
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 388 posts
AeroScale: 225 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 04:57 AM UTC
If I may I'd like to join in with an A-37B Dragonfly. I hope to finish it as an Ecuadorian aircraft from the Cenepa War.

Here's the kit: