Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Anti-Shipping Campaign
Kiwi_Modeller
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 188 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 09:22 PM UTC
Mark the grace looks great mate, so do the S.79 D everybodies doin good stuff as usual.
cheers,
Graham
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 09:33 PM UTC
Damian - Nice SM79 there. I have one of those to build as well, would you say it's generally quite a nice kit to build?

Mark - WEM do the Aotake colour as part of their colourcoat range and it's very metallic. I use it when I build Japanese aircraft. Your B7N is very nice, despite not having the correct Aotake colour. It's much better than the 1/72 one I did a while ago and seeing yours makes me want to build some more of my Japanese planes in my stash!

thanks
Mike
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 11:47 PM UTC
G'day all,

Some excellent subjects on the go here, I once built a 'Jill' and used the Xtra Color paints for the otacki primer.

Having returned from another sojourn into Adelaide and spending some time on the Tamiya Swordfish Mk I, which is a consignment build, soon after unpacking the case, a little progress has been made on putting part of it together, complete with Eduard Zoom PE.

This is the progress on the bird so far.

The Beaufighter has been put aside as it needs the paint scheme removed due to a few floors in peeling.
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 04:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I got the S.79 finished last night ! YAY !!

Damian, I think you did an outstanding job on your tri-engined "Gobbo". I'm so impressed by how prolific you are in the hobby. Please keep it up.

You've completed a jewel, and I'm having trouble even getting started. Time has been my enemy, and the Mosquito just isn't motivating me. I may have to reconsider my position.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 08:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Damian - Nice SM79 there. I have one of those to build as well, would you say it's generally quite a nice kit to build?
Mike

Thanks Mike. This was a very nice kit to build. I had no major fit isses and the detail is really good with plenty of interior details, wheel wells are great, and the exterior has nice fine engraved panel lines.

The only minor issues were the cockpit glass being slightly underwidth, one of the engine nacelles slightly underwidth, and the elevators being slightly thicker at the root than the receiving section on the fuselage. I didn't use any filler, and only needed to lightly sand the wing edges and main joins.

Quoted Text

Damian, I think you did an outstanding job on your tri-engined "Gobbo". I'm so impressed by how prolific you are in the hobby. Please keep it up.

You've completed a jewel, and I'm having trouble even getting started. Time has been my enemy, and the Mosquito just isn't motivating me. I may have to reconsider my position.

Thanks Guy. Lately I have surprised myself as well at my progress. I try to put in an hour or so each night (sometimes more if The Minister for War and Finance is engrossed in girly @$%# on TV), and at the end of that I make sure I have a clear plan of what I want to get done during the next session. Sometimes it works ok, sometimes it fails completely, and sometimes I jump forward more than expected.

I'm sorry to hear that the Mossie isn't lighting your fire, but don't force it. There's no point in building it for the sake of it if you're not getting any enjoyment. When I get in that frame of mind on a build I tend to pick up a few old magazines and flick through them, then pull a few random boxes from the stash and go through the parts and instructions and get a "feel" for the plastic again. It doesn't take long for motivation and enjoyment factor to come back.

Cheers, D
mpatman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 160 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 09:32 AM UTC
Very nice build there Damian! Great to see such a differnet looking plane. What's next in your pipeline?

Mark
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 10:18 AM UTC
Hi Everyone,

Been seeing some excellent models on this campaign.Certainly this has triggered the urge to have a go on my FW 200 1/48.

Although I'm still striving to finish another quarter scale job, the Ju 88, the sheer size of this FW 200 kit demands all available time remaining in this campaign to finish it.

The all familiar box

The contents plus all the after market goods, including a set of wheels from Aires, the mandatory etched parts and a 20mm gun barrel from Master,
DSC03423 por rochaped38, no Flickr

and also a very nice staff car to go along

Cheers
Pedro

611_sqd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 99 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 11:10 AM UTC
One of my all time fav planes the old Condor.
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
AeroScale: 372 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 03:18 PM UTC
I agree, awesome choice Pedro! I have been eyeing that kit for a while and look forward to seeing yours come together. Take lots of pictures for us if you would be so kind
mpatman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 160 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 03:50 PM UTC
Cant wait to see this build., make sure you take heaps of pics along the way!

Mark
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 04:27 PM UTC
Pedro, that's no small undertaking-- a 4-engine plane in 1/48 will take up some real estate! I look forward to watching it too.

As for me, my Avenger has its 3-color camo scheme. It's the most ambitious paint job I've done in memory, but I'm satisfied with the result. I'm really stoked to see how this girl turns out!
TBF3colorpaint-20110210-2203
thanks for looking,
Sean.
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
AeroScale: 372 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 05:42 PM UTC
Awesome Sean! If I remember correctly, you only work in 1/72 for aircraft?
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 06:50 PM UTC
Pedro, welcome to the party my friend ! I am really looking forward to watching your progress with the BIG Condor, it's a great looking aircraft and I think rivals the B-29 as the most elegant of the 4-engined bombers of WWII.

Please post lots of progress for all of us jealous onlookers.

Sean, very nice paintwork on the Avenger, looking sweeeeeeeeet !!

I'm really grateful to all of you guys, this Campaign is progressing beautifully and we have some very impressive builds already in the gallery as well as in the works.

Cheers, D

windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 01:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Awesome Sean! If I remember correctly, you only work in 1/72 for aircraft?

So far. That's a lot of what I built when I was young-- the couple odd 1/48's suffered attacks with bb's and firecrackers, but the 1/72 scale ones lived on to play fight above the model trains and Matchbox cars.
Now my reasoning is that if I ever display them, (a) they'll all fit in a case and (b) they'll all be the same scale to compare side by side.
thanks!
-Sean.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 07:09 AM UTC
I'm with you Sean. Trying to get rid of my last vestage of 1/48. Don't have the space and the comparisons are educational. Compare an A-7 to a B-17, size for size, payload to payload. Right now I have an F-105 and a B-25 near the desk and the fuselages are nearly the same size!!!!!
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 07:40 AM UTC
Thanks Damian.

I'm glad to know there's nothing to worry about then when building the SM79.

thanks
Mike
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 10:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

..... I got the S.79 finished last night !

@Damian
Che bella macchina, signore Rigby! That's another supurb build from your aircraft factory! Congratulations!

@Pedro
The "Scourge of the Atlantic" is a great choice of you! I guess beside the Monogram B-29 it's the biggest kit one can build in 1/48. I will follow your progress closely as this big bird is also still sleeping in my stash .....

Speaking of big birds, I just demasked the 66 cockpit windows of my Do 217 and painted the last bits like position lights and pitot. I will take some pictures this weekend to earn my campaign ribbon ....

Damian, the Focke-Wulf Fw 200 was never really a bomber in the common way, in military service it was primarily used as a sea recon aircraft for the german U-Boats to lead them against allied convois. Later is was also often used as a transporter, for instance to supply the poor devils in Stalingrad .....But the aircraft also attacked ships, so the kit is correct for this campaign.

Great models in this campaign so far, well done!
Torsten
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 04:45 PM UTC
I got the Kate finished today and caught some very weak sunlight to take the pics.

I almost made the mistake of putting on the antenna mast and wires for this one, but luckily i read the instructions at the very last minute- only the lead aircraft usually had radios fitted apparently and my aircraft did not have a radio.

Relatively easy kit. I used Tamiya Japanese colours, but now wish that i used the more recent IJN Green rather than the older one (even though the newer one is meant to be a Mitsubishi colour).
The instructions call for the undersides to be silver, but a quick browse around forums on the subject shows an almost unanimous opinion that the undersides were the Nakajima underside "Caramel" colour. It's also possible that the undersides of the wings outboard of the wingfold may have been the same as the upper camoflage, but no real evidence seems to exist- making it really just educated guessing.

Great campaign, and well run- thanks Damian! And excellent variety and standard of builds from everyone else too.

Andrew

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 05:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I got the Kate finished today and caught some very weak sunlight to take the pics.

Beautifully done too Andrew, excellent camo job and weathering, and I love the subtle chipping on the leading edges and the wing access panels.

Quoted Text

Great campaign, and well run- thanks Damian! And excellent variety and standard of builds from everyone else too.

Thanks, I've enjoyed running this one a lot and we aren't even half way there yet, but as I said my Campaigns don't amount to anything without the contributions of everybody else here.

Cheers, D
SUNDON
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 158 posts
AeroScale: 155 posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 07:36 PM UTC
All going to plan at the moment ,fuselage closed up and wings and stabilizers attatched .Only used a small amount of filler but probably could have got away with using CA instead.

Made a start on the engine and cowling, not to much to do here.

Martin
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 05:44 AM UTC
Okay, I'm ready for take-off! Today we had a bright, warm and sunny winter day, so perfect for some shots in my kitchen.
This is my finished campaign build, the Dornier Do 217 E-5 in 1/48 scale from Revell/Monogram. Enjoy my little walk around.

I used Agama colours for the upperside camo (RLM 72 and 63) and Revell for the underside camo (RLM 65) plus Gunze for the mottling (RLM 75).

Here you can see some of the 66 canopy windows I had to mask and demask again.

This aircraft flew with BMW 801 engines, the same as in the famous Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A ....

And here he is: the grandfather of all modern cruise missiles, the Henschel Hs 293 radar guided anti shipping missile.

And a side view.

I have build an aircraft of the 4./KG 100, based in Cognac (santé! ), France in October 1943. The kit is built straight from the box and not weathered as usual with all my models.

The fitting of the kit is not so good, especially the 3 fuselage parts don't want to go go together well. It needs some filler, a lot of sanding and nerves to persuade them. Also the clear parts don't fit well either.

I think this double tail fin looks really striking, doesn't it?

Final coating was made with satin varnish from Marabu. What really annoys me is that some decals silver a lot, especially the Balkenkreuz on the port wing Here a look at the cockpit in which 4 airmen did their dangerous work.

Finally some pics of the underside ....

Here we have again the Hs 293 missile ....

And a look at the the C-Stand with the MG 131 (13mm), the so called "coffin"

Beside some difficulties in the beginning I'm happy and satisfied with this model in the end. The Do 217 is a rare sight on expos even in Germany, especially in 1/48. It is quite a big bird with a length of 36 cm and a wingspan of 40 cm. But it's a "must have" if you collect Luftwaffe aircraft of WW2 in this scale.
Soon I will upload 2 pics in the gallery (where is it?) and then slowly get ready for my next "Zerstörer Campaign", starting in March. Thanks for this great campaign Damian, in which I finally have built one of my oldest kits in my stash. I will follow what you guys (and Sam of course) produce here.

Happy modelling
Torsten
611_sqd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 99 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 07:00 AM UTC
If my Ju-88 looks even a quarter as good as that I will be pleased. Nice job mate.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 09:59 AM UTC
The Campaign Gallery is HERE for you to put pics of your finished builds.

Torsten your 217 looks great ! You have done a wonderful job considering the fit issues that you have described, they are not visible at all.
The Hs 293 is an awesome piece of work as well, I would hate to have been in it's target zone.
Thanks so much for joining in and sharing your work, congratulations on another great build, and I'm really looking forward to your dual build for our Zerstorer Campaign.

Cheers, D
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 11:26 AM UTC
Nice work Torsten! I'm actually one of those strange people that sometimes deliberately builds models with known fit problems (i even built a Roden He-111B)- sometimes i actually like filling and sanding. Tamiya kits are dull. Strange i know. Maybe the Dornier would be a good subject for me as well, i'm sure i have that kit somewhere...

Andrew

Kiwi_Modeller
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 188 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 02:57 PM UTC
yeh what D said Torsten thats really nice i might have to get me one of them for the stash.
cheers,
Graham