Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: FW190 'Wurger' Campaign
DougN1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
AeroScale: 409 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 05:23 AM UTC
So many nice FW's in one place! Well done to everyone who has posted thus far!

Better late than never, I'm in with my Hasegawa 1/32 Fw190A6 "Galland" kit:

I'll be doing as much as possible out of the box, using the kit markings to build Galland's bird. Since it is the first of what may be many of these kits, I figured that would be a good way to get to know it Only aftermarket will be some Master barrels and Quickboost exhaust.

I'll post a build blog in the WW2 forum for anyone that wishes to track every step, with major milestone updates here

Thanks,

Doug
wespe66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Frederiksborg, Denmark
KitMaker: 122 posts
AeroScale: 121 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 08:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Progress report: Aircraft is being painted. The factory-applied RLM74, RLM75 and RLM76 is more or less done, and next up is the field-applied blotches of RLM74.

Then, painting of the Nachtjäger emblem and the codes, for which I ordered masks at Miracle Masks.

More pictures here: build log

Cheers

And here is the picture!
- with some of the field-applied paint sprayed:

Regards
wespe66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Frederiksborg, Denmark
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 04:35 AM UTC
And the basic painting is done. It took some time with spraying and re-spraying, but I'm more or less satisfied. Still need to touch up a few places though.

More pictures here .

magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 - 07:32 PM UTC
I am not very active in the campaign thread but I am still working on my projects!

Ta 152-C finally painted!

Build blog is here!

Magnus
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 - 12:57 AM UTC
Better late than never, well said - I'm in too!
Eduard's A-8, this one's been in my stash for quite some time, now let's getting cracking!

Here's were I'm at the moment, soon ready to start painting the interior.

The brass barrels are from the Master-Model set. I got the A-6 set as I thought I was building that kit first, so I'll use Aires' resin MG 131 barrels.

I also got the Quickboost cowling - (the lower exhaust pipes from the set are already glued to the lower wing - as I was told the kit parts are tricky to assemble. Turns out the resin cowling is slightly smaller than the kit cowling (of which it is a copy with exhaust added), resulting in a weird-looking combination when the plastic front ring is added. As I'd most likely mess up sanding down the plastic front ring, I'll stick to the kit cowling, which turned out to be easy to assemble. So it's just the exhaust pipes from the Quickboost set I suppose...

Next it's time to get some color to the cockpit and wheel wells.

DougN1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
AeroScale: 409 posts
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2012 - 06:18 AM UTC
Nice work everyone!

I finally got my fuselage together:

Please see the Full Build Blog for additional cockpit work description and photos

Thanks,

Doug
wespe66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Frederiksborg, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 04:54 AM UTC
Update time:

The 190A-5 has now received Englandblitz emblem, walkways and codes. Then a coat of future and a few stencils.

More pictures here

The weathering process has been started since the last pictures where taken, so hopefully I will soon call this finished!

Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
AeroScale: 475 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 10:47 PM UTC
Hi all
finished my wee 190, I really enjoying this campaign there are so many superb builds on here,makes me want to blow the dust off my part built 1/24 Airfix beast,but a lack of room
prevents it
here goes with the space saver!!!

Andy
wespe66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Frederiksborg, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 04:34 AM UTC
Beautiful, Andy - congrats!
I have the same subject in my stash. Seeing your build makes me want to build it sooo bad!

Regards
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 09:48 AM UTC
Andy, great looking build!! I love that 72 scale! Good job. Russell
atoplu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 02:01 AM UTC
Hi there,
This is my campaign entry. Eduard Fw-190D9 weekend edition.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 08:54 AM UTC
Nice progress so far, Kenneth. Looking forward to see more.

Cool little build, Andy. I think you should glue the propeller in place. It is sitting at an odd angle in the photo.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 11:53 AM UTC
Nice start on the Dora, Atoplu! How's the kit fitting together?

My A-8's moving along quite nicely. Gotta love being back on the workbench after a while!

Naturally starting off with the stuff going between the fuselage halves, I couldn't help a bit of additional detail to both the engine and the cockpit.
For the BMW 801, I just had to add the ignition harness missing from the basic kit, even though hardly anything will be visible from behind the prominent cooling fan...

And here's the engine ready for installation.

Moving on to the cockpit, I went by my routine of using Xtracrylics RLM66, which turned to be a less-than-ideal choice, as the pre-painted PE colour is lighter and more bluish. Not wanting to repaint the cockpit, I thought of re-painting the PE with a more matching shade, but gave up on it, as the details were too intricate to paint around neatly. Hope it doesn't stick out too much when done...

The only aftermarket addition to the cockpit is a resin control stick from CMK's "Quick & easy" accessory line. I made a new throttle from thin styrene sheet and a resin handle from a M2 Browning set. A shorthened M2 handle made a new handle for the canopy crank, replacing the flat PE part. Instead of just gluing the seat belts in place, I fashioned small mounting loops for them from brass wire. Not only does it look realistic, it also made it easier to glue the shoulder harness in place, as they were attached on one end but still could be moved around.

Main wheel wells just about ready:

Not only do those brass barrels do away with the hassle of removing mould seams, they also have the nifty feature of coming in two segments, allowing the inner parts to be assembled with the wing and the outer segments added right at the end of the build.

Next it's time to start getting this bird together.
mpatman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 160 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 07:39 PM UTC
Hi everyone, not much time left to wrap things up on this campaign now. I have actually made some progress and started on the RLM 83 mottle:

Cheers,

Mark
wespe66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Frederiksborg, Denmark
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2012 - 06:44 AM UTC
I will call this baby finished now
Overall I'm happy with the result. Hope you like her too

More pictures here .

Last post in build log here

P.S.
Eetu: Nice work!
Mark: Impressive mottling there.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 09:40 PM UTC
Great work! Congrats on finishing your entry.

Update time for my A-8.
Sure, I've many build articles and commnentaries on the Eduard kits saying they're fiddly and require care and perseverance to build, but this...

Having read articles and reviews stressing the importance of getting the components inside the fuselage aligned properly, I tried my best to get it together properly, and I get this when test fitting the windscreen and gun compartment cover. Both are too wide and the gun cover is also too high.

I have no idea what's going on, I don't remember reading about issues of this magnitude anywhere. Of course, I first thought I must have royally messed up with the fuselage assembly in some place, but I doubt it - the cockpit assembly fit flawlessly. The gun compartment also fit well, although it require tape and rubber bands as the fuselage halves were somewhat warped in my kit.

The bottoms of the shell chutes are cut off because I managed to get the front wall of the gun compartment angled back just slightly (I just hate these kinds of butt-jointed assemblies with very small gluing surfaces...) so they wouldn't clear the landing gear bay back wall.
Anyway, I'm really puzzled since dry fitting the fuselage to the wings shows a really promising, snug fit. So it's most probably unlikely I got the fuselage glued together too narrow. And I certainly didn't sand the interior components down to oblivion prior to assembly...
Seems the only way to fix this is to starting cutting and insert some styrene sheet in the appropriate seams to get the winscsreen and gun cover to fit.

Needless to say, I'm not exactly thrilled.

rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 10:19 PM UTC
Very nice work Kenneth, like the weathering you achived
doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 153 posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 04:16 PM UTC
@Mark - That is some great and mind-boggling paint work!

@Kenneth- As mentioned on your build thread, your night fighter turned out fantastic and is a unique specimen to be sure!

@Eetu- You always put on a clinic. This time is no different. I look forward to seeing your model progress.

I've made some more progress on my build here

But here's a summary photo:

Keep going on these great builds, folks!

Regards,
Tom
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 12:52 AM UTC
Came back to my A6 build to begin making some progress. The Quickboost flap set proved to be a major disappointment. They are a poor fit to start with in the Eduard kit. Worse still, the resin set pulls so much on the thin soft Eduard plastic that the trailing edge of the wing warped dramatically.

Having resisted my first impulse: to go buy another kit for replacement wings, I decided to scrape off the resin inserts, sand the area and make my own flap insert with plasticard.

'In for a penny in for a pound'. It may not look as detailed as resin but at least it should be a better fit.

Cheers,
Fred
wespe66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Frederiksborg, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 07:09 PM UTC
Eetu: Thank you! I don't know what happened to your Eduard wurger, but I don't remember mine (build almost 2 years ago) having those kinds of misfit. I'm sure you can fix it though - looking foreward to see more!

Pedro: Thanks alot, appreciated!

Tom: Thank you very much. Your build already looks absolutely amazing. Can't wait to see it finished. Exactly the same subject I built almost 2 years ago. I feel that I have to build it again soon - better this time, of course!

Fred: I'm looking foreward to be inspired by your scratch-build flaps!

Cheers
doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 153 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 02:05 PM UTC
Hi Eetu-
I went and looked at my Eduard Fw190 that is in progress and compared with your head-on shot. On my model, the triangular-shaped area of the fuselage sides that adjoin the rear gun bulkhead are at a bit steeper angle. I think the gun bay bulkhead may not be sitting quite high enough (maybe not far back enough too), and is not pushing the fuselage sides to the right width. I had to trim the reverse corner of the rear gun bay wall and the backside of the lower instrument panel to get it all to fit.
Like you, it doesn't seem possible that you got the cockpit positioned incorrectly - at least THAT part of the kit has positive location!
I have the feeling that if I built another one of these kits, I could easily run into a completely different set of problems from my first build!
Regards-
Tom
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 12:20 PM UTC
Well, over the last couple of days I managed to get the Dora ready for paint.

Hasegawa FW190D 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

And then I got started on the rather complex paint scheme.

Hasegawa FW190D 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 - 02:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Eetu-
I went and looked at my Eduard Fw190 that is in progress and compared with your head-on shot. On my model, the triangular-shaped area of the fuselage sides that adjoin the rear gun bulkhead are at a bit steeper angle. I think the gun bay bulkhead may not be sitting quite high enough (maybe not far back enough too), and is not pushing the fuselage sides to the right width. I had to trim the reverse corner of the rear gun bay wall and the backside of the lower instrument panel to get it all to fit.
Like you, it doesn't seem possible that you got the cockpit positioned incorrectly - at least THAT part of the kit has positive location!
I have the feeling that if I built another one of these kits, I could easily run into a completely different set of problems from my first build!
Regards-
Tom

Thanks!
Today I sat down, took a deep breath, and went in with a modeling knife. To my pleasant surprise, the assembly came off intact, neatly with no excessive force required. It indeed seems like I got the gun compartment sitting too low. Really puzzling, since I'm quite positive I got the assembly mounted properly on the locators (which could be a bit more prominent IMO, btw) moulded inside the fuselage halves.
I think some thin styrene sheet glued to the gluing surfaces should do the trick.

One thing I learned from this for subsequent Eduard 190s: Pin the butt-joints of the gun compartment walls with copper wire. I got a feeling one might get the compartment fitting much better that way, when you can hit the joints with liquid cement after you got it between the fuselage along with the cockpit.

Well, let's have another go at it then.
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 - 12:10 PM UTC
Yes Eetu,

Sometimes 'a deep breath' is the best medicine. The flap situation had me pretty vexed about the status of my build. I took a deep breath and tried to assess my situation. A little patience and some clear thinking has begun yielding positive results. I used the Quickboost inserts as a template to design new ones that fit better in the space allowed. I have one finished and am on to the other one. I think, once the paint goes on, no one will be the wiser. (and the scratch built ones seem to fit so much better than the AM ones.

On a related note: having already finished the BMW powerplant, I happened to pick up the Aires BMW 801 at a really good price. Just got it today. It truly is a masterpiece. Its going to take all my willpower not to put it into the bird over my detailed version of the kit motor. The trouble is its really a kit within a kit. If I try to add the Aires motor it is highly doubtful I'd meet the campaign deadline.

(... but it really is a beauty. I'll have to come up with a special reason to build it).

Cheers,
Fred
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 09:03 AM UTC
Finally!

Now both the windscreen gun compartment cover fit as they should, but it ain't pretty on the inside... Not that it needs to, since I'm building it all buttoned up.

I ended up pulling off the gun compartment assembly several times, each time deteriorating the fit with CA residue, until I reasoned the least bad way to get it positioned properly was to glue only the upper back wall in place while using the gun cover to ensure it was in the right place. So, I got the windscreen and gun cover fitting right, but now the front wall of the compartment is a little bit askew, this horizontally!

But I've to just stop caring by now. I'll just get the gun cover attached (it's just held with tape in the pics) and then smother all the interior joints with 2-part epoxy. If (more likely when) the engine mounts turn out crooked to one side, I'll just make up a bendable copper wire doohickey to hold it. Or just do it quick and dirty and forget the mounts altogether and attach the engine to the cowling with milliput and eyeball it in place.

Note to self:
- pin the joints of the fuselage gun compartment walls!
- no super glue!
- dry fit the windscreen and gun cover as the glue dries!

Sure, I did read all the reviews and build articles saying it's a fiddly kit that rewards care and dry fitting, and there I go making it worse by being less careful than I should have, and by being dumb not dryfitting the windscreen and gun cover every step of the way, and by making it all worse by using CA.

My hat is off to all those who managed to build theirs without as much cussing and struggling as me.