_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Devils in the Dark: Nightfighters!
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 09:29 PM UTC
Welcome to the Devils in the Dark: Nightfighters campaign!

Please post your progress and campaign fellowship here

If you haven't already joined, you can Enlist Here

Please post the photos of you completed build in the Official Campaign Gallery
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 - 02:45 AM UTC
Thanks Sam!

Just about time!

Michael
GhostHawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cordoba, Argentina
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 - 08:52 AM UTC
O.K...!!!

Here We Go...!!!!

I know... It will be a chalenge, flight in the night whit this babyboy...

see You Latter

Diego
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 - 09:30 AM UTC
ready to go Sam!
Monogram Mosquito...check
Paragon resin conversion kit...check
references...only the internet? ( )...check
one Capt John Cunningham Mosquito coming up!
Later
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 - 11:53 PM UTC
Happy New Year everyone! Hope all of you had a good start into 2013.
Here comes my build for this campaign, a F7F 3N Tigercat in 1/48 from Italeri (ex AMT Ertl). I will build the one from the box art and start tomorrow when I'm hopefully back from Middle Earth .....

Happy modelling everyone!
Torsten
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 12:10 AM UTC
I will probably make an early bf 109 night fighter - probably a Dora. Otherwise maybe a FW 190 Wilde Sau.
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 12:51 AM UTC
Here's my entry for the campaign a good old gekko.

and I even got the interior base colour done (techincally not probably accurate with the colour but I really like this colour on the Zero I did a year or so ago and wanted to do it the same)

MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 04:30 AM UTC
Happy new year everyone and welcome to the start of the Nightfighters campaign 2013! Glad to see some of you already jumping on your builds, mine might take a bit longer to get started. As it looks like Mossies, Widows, Gekkos and Uhus are already well represented here, I think I might pull this one out of the stash:

Those old ADS decals include the option to do Guy Gibson's aircraft from 29 Sqn. which, assuming they still work, will probably be my entry.

Looking forward to a great camapaign!

Michael
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 01:49 PM UTC
Well here we go! I suspect Im in for a ride given my choice of kit but I feel the need to boldly go forth and build a 1/48 Roden Sopwith 1 1/2 strutter "comic" nightfighter. To those unfamiliar, these were a single seat conversion of rebuilt 1 1/2 strutters(originally made in 1 and 2 seat) modified out of a need to intercept Gotha bomber raids on Great Britain in WWI. These conversions moved the pilots position to the rear behind the wing to improve upward vision. Not a whole lot were built and operated by only one squadron, No.78. They were involved in intercepts but I havent read about any victories and overall werent considered very successful and were replaced by converted sopwith camels, also taking up the name "comic".
I got some reference material and even snagged abit of hopefully useful PE. Got parts washed and will probably break sprue late tonight or tomorrow. Good luck everyone!

Did I mention I havent really rigged anything before!?!

MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 02:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well here we go! I suspect Im in for a ride given my choice of kit but I feel the need to boldly go forth and build a 1/48 Roden Sopwith 1 1/2 strutter "comic" nightfighter. To those unfamiliar, these were a single seat conversion of rebuilt 1 1/2 strutters(originally made in 1 and 2 seat) modified out of a need to intercept Gotha bomber raids on Great Britain in WWI. These conversions moved the pilots position to the rear behind the wing to improve upward vision. Not a whole lot were built and operated by only one squadron, No.78. They were involved in intercepts but I havent read about any victories and overall werent considered very successful and were replaced by converted sopwith camels, also taking up the name "comic".
I got some reference material and even snagged abit of hopefully useful PE. Got parts washed and will probably break sprue late tonight or tomorrow. Good luck everyone!

Did I mention I havent really rigged anything before!?!

You're a braver man than I am, Mr. Mike! Good luck, should be interesting the see the result. Lots of rigging experience and guidance here on Aeroscale!

Michael
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 04:29 AM UTC
That Beau is a great choice, Michael! Though I would prefer it as a day fighter and ship hunter like on the box art.
Okay, here are the first progress pic of my Tigerkitty ....
Fuselage halves and cockpit parts painted ....

.... pilot's seat and navigator's place glued in the right half ....

.... some weight in the nose. About 40 grams should do it, I don't want to have a tailsitter later ....

.... and closed ....

Now follows my favourite work - filling and sanding.
More fun tomorrow ....

Torsten
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 05:13 AM UTC
Hi Torsten, boy, that is a lot of weight in the nose of the Tigercat!! It reminds me of the B-24 from Minicraft where I had to load behind the cockpit with weight; it still barely sits on its nose. Looking forward to your build. Russell
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 07:07 AM UTC
The Tigercat is a notorious tailsitter. Even the real ones had to use props to keep them from tipping back. I recommend that you pack the nose with as much weight as you can cram in there, and then go for the SAC metal landing gear to bear the weight.
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 09:01 AM UTC
Hello dear forum members, I was wondering if a Hurricane MkIIc in nightfighter camouflage would be acceptable ? It was not constructed as a nightfighter, but saw service as such.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 09:46 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice, Jessie. That kitty is pretty heavy now and I hope it's enough weight. If not, I still have the chance to pack some lead balls behind the engines later like the ones I have in the front fuselage. The small plates are 5 grams each and from a tyre dealer. No more space, the fuselage is already sanded ....
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 10:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello dear forum members, I was wondering if a Hurricane MkIIc in nightfighter camouflage would be acceptable ? It was not constructed as a nightfighter, but saw service as such.

Naseby,

Yep, that qualifies!

Michael
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 02:53 PM UTC
Well I am in, with my Tamiya Mossie. I will be using Eduard PE interior, UltraCast seats, and Aviaoelogy Decals. I will be doing a Mossie from the RCAF 418 Squadron, famous for their night intruder missions against German night fighters. The Intruder missions usually coincided with night bombings, where Intruders would fly to the designated enemy airfield prior to the bombers arrival in the area, and circle the airfield waiting to 'jump' enemy aircraft, usually as they used their lights for taking off and/or landing or by exhaust flame. It was not long before the German's caught on to this and started having pilots only flash their light on approach once lined up. The Intruders relied on visual sight as they were not equipped with radar.

The RCAF 418 Squadron was Canada's highest scoring squadron, and was most active in late 1944.

So time to get started.

Thanks for having me.
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2013 - 01:20 AM UTC
Hi everyone. Happy New Year to all. Looks like this campaign is starting out with a bang!
So this is my kit, and the accessories I have for it. I am going to have to kit up the decals later since no manufacturer actually does any markings for Capt Cunningham's Mosquitoes (or Beaufighters for that matter)

Pictured for your perusal; The Revell re-release of the Monogram Mk IV Mosquito, True Details Mosquito wheel kit, and the Paragon Mk XII nose conversion for the Mk VIII AI for the Airfix kit

Boy, that's going to be interesting...

Later
steve-o
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2013 - 11:28 AM UTC
Hello!

Will an AR240 C work? I built one way back, and have one in my stash now to try and see how much (and if) my aircraft modelling has improved.

I guess it was a hypothetical use for a prototype plane that never made it to prodution. But it did make it into plastic!

- Steve
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2013 - 12:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello!

Will an AR240 C work? I built one way back, and have one in my stash now to try and see how much (and if) my aircraft modelling has improved.

I guess it was a hypothetical use for a prototype plane that never made it to prodution. But it did make it into plastic!

- Steve

Hmm, that's a tough one. What do you all think, prototype/what-ifs ok?

Michael
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2013 - 12:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hello!

- Steve

Michael

This is just my opinion, but as there were Arado 240 (v1 - v6) prototypes made, the Ar240 C-2 (Night Fighter) was only a proposed aircraft. If the aircraft(C-2) had made it to prototype I would agree, but as it was only proposed, I am inclined to say no.

Kevin
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2013 - 06:21 PM UTC
Here's my attempt
Airfix P-61 A Black Widow

Got it for nothing at a model club swap meet (may have over paid for it). No landing gear, yellowed decals, small corner of rear glass missing, upright for stand but no stand base. One prop has a broken off blade. Mixed race aircrew, pilot is blue, gunners are black.

Stray blue aileron in here also.

Planning on building it wheels up and scam a stand out of another old Airfix kit. May have to get clever for red decals
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 09:23 AM UTC
Hmmm, a Black Widow! That's fine, Mark!

Some more process on my F7F. As Eduard don't offer masks for the Tigercat canopy, I cut some with Kip Tape. It's easy but it takes time ....

.... I put some additonal weight in the nose. The fuselage alone weights now about 80 grams which are nearly 3 oz ....

.... so far no filler needed, everything is fine ....

.... 4000 hp rock 'n roll ....

Oh, one more question. The propeller tips, are they yellow or white-red-white as can be seen on some Youtube vids? I would like to go for the 2. version ....

Thanks Torsten
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 01:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael

IIRC the rules didnt say anything about prototypes or what-ifs so Id be inclined to accept them as long as they were on the drawing board as a night fighter

P.S. Ok I was wrong, the rules do say "no what-ifs". But Id still accpet prototypes as long as it was built or modified to test as a night fighter.
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 01:50 AM UTC
I am offering to build a special hobby Ju 388J with the Jumo 213 engines. I have read a few builds and they do state that the engine to wing fit is quite poor. So to safe my sanity I purchased a cheap 188. To use the wings and engines. Also going to add True details wheels.
STH70273
STH70274
STH70275
 _GOTOTOP