Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official PIN-UPS CAMPAIGN
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 11:43 PM UTC
Got the main decals on today.
The Eagle Strike/Cartograf decals went down really well, and I'll leave them for 24 hours under the MicroSol to settle in before making a start on the stencil decals.

Nige
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 06:34 AM UTC
Looking good as always Nige
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 09:35 AM UTC
Nige, that P-47 does look good.

I've got a lttle progress going to.

This is how I masked the spitfire. I'm just not good enough to do things freehand. I photocopied a Tamiya 4-view, cut it up and then taped it on. Used a little bit-o-Ticky-Tack too.

Here is the results. I'm fairly happy with it, although there's a little cleanup to do. I'll wait a day or so for it to dry thoroughly. Paint is Tamiya.

I'm having fun, and thinking I might make that original date.

Guy
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 10:05 AM UTC
good job on the camo mtnflyer
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 10:21 AM UTC
Hey, whatever works best mtnflyer... and that worked like a charm! Prolly use that trick myself sometime...
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 01:00 PM UTC
Just wanted to confirm that I will be extending the date to november 1st to make sure we get in anybody left behind as I have had a few more ask
ViperAtl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 331 posts
AeroScale: 135 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 06:47 AM UTC
More progress on the Lightning. Right engine boom is glued up and only fitted to the main wing. When the left side is done it will be glued on.

Right engine boom fitted
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 03:18 AM UTC
Hows progress guys and gals?
ViperAtl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 04:30 AM UTC
Making progress but slow. During the games today I'll get some time in and hopefully some progress that I can photograph. Still working on the engine booms.
doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 153 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Making progress but slow. During the games today I'll get some time in and hopefully some progress that I can photograph. Still working on the engine booms.

Ditto on my P-38 - still sanding boom joins and boom inserts when I can muster the time. Just finished the '109' campaign, though - so all attention can focus on this one.
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 03:04 PM UTC
Good to here guys keep up the good work I'm sure you will earn your ribbon
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 04:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hows progress guys and gals?

A little bit of progress here Justin.

I've completed the paint-job, albiet with a totally incorrect camo pattern for the subject I'm trying to model. I never realized that until the deed was done.
You likely already know I'm not the type to worry about these little inaccuracies, so my imperfect spitfire will just have to do. Its all good.

I put on a couple of 'Future' coats early and let it dry until this evening. The dog hairs trapped underneath the 'Future' are hardly noticeable:

The decals were applied this evening, after I rubbed out the dust and doghair as best I could. Considering they were put down with my usual beginners impatience, I think they went on just fine.

Heres a closer,rather poor photo of my Pyn-Up babe;

I'm really enjoying this one, even with all the boo-boo's. A great place to learn.

Guy
ViperAtl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 03:59 AM UTC
Mtnflyer - try using a tack cloth before you paint. You can get one from your local big box hardware store or paint stores. Just run it over the model to pick up dust and hair before you paint. Also depending on where you paint (I'm indoors) you should clean the area beforehand. I have 3 Maine Coon cats so there is a fair amount of hair floating around but just a good wipe down of the spray desk usually works.

I almos did the same scheme but went for the Lightning. Looks good.
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 09:44 AM UTC
Thanks for the suggestions, Joe. I try to be a liitle less impatient next time, and clean up properly. I also have a product called "Polly S Plastic Prep", which is a plastic cleanser. I've never used it. Perhaps I'll give that a go next time as well.

Anywhoo: I tried to use decals for the gun patches. It proved to be a dismal failure as my fingers are too fat and my hands too shaky. Even the tweezers didn't seem to want to help me. So I guess I'll mask it with a little tape and sticky-posts, and then paint them on.

Hoping to be done by the weekend. Guy
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 12:55 PM UTC
Wow i think it came out great and you should be proud.A camo scheme is no easy task.
Lately what ive done to keep the dust and what not off during the paint prossess while drying I put it back in the box it came in and close the lid.Keeps everything off
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
AeroScale: 372 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 07:11 AM UTC
Justin: I should be returning home this coming Sun/Mon. I need to try to finish up the Miniart Dio Campaign entry for Mr. McGrath if I can, then I'll be hitting my build for this campaign hard and burning the late night oil when possible. Expect regular updates from me then, and feel free to check my build log Eduard 1/48 F6F-5N campaing build.
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 07:18 AM UTC
Great I look forward to it sir.
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 10:28 AM UTC
Well, my friends, I'm happy enough where I'm going to call her done for the purposes of this campaign. I know it looks brand new and toy like, but I'm kinda liking that right now. It will be displayed as such until my brother comes and sees it at christmas.

I hope you like it. Its the second model I've built this year, and the second in about the last 30yrs. This is a new record for me.

At the end, I did have some issues with Hasagawa's engineering of the kit. In my opinion, the prop mounting system is crap, and I would prefer to see those little rubber grommets employed. Also, the landing gear gave probelms with the wheel bay doors being to long. In addition I don't believe the cannon are a fair representation. These are all minor, and all around its not a bad kit.

I have two more of these, and if I build them, I'll use AM resin for the spinner and prop, brass cannon barrels, and now at least I'm aware of the landing gear issues.

This was a great campaign. I really enjoyed it. Thankyou.

Guy
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 10:53 AM UTC
Hey guy! Nice build... I find myself in the same boat, having come back to this kind of modeling after a long hiatus. What I really like is how clean you kept your canopy! I always, always have issues getting my glass right! With my 3rd build this year (the P-51 for this campaign) I was nearly in tears and cursing over the damned canopy... but it did lead to me stepping back and learning just like you to breathe a bit and take my time... I hope to see more of your builds and I'm sure we'll keep learning from each other, congrats on your campaign completion!
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 11:49 AM UTC
mtnflyer congrats and a fine addition to the gallery dont forget to post there if you haven't yet.Well done and very deserving of that ribbon
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 11:50 AM UTC
Thankyou, Ray.

About the canopy. The very first thing I did when I opened the kit was to wash the parts with Dawn. Then I cut the canopy parts away from the large clear sprue, leaving enough to grab onto each clear part. I immediately dipped these parts into a glass of 'Future', making sure I had no air bubbles. When you remove the parts from the cup, its necessary to give it a good shake to prevent running buildup of Future.

I don't know if this is right or wrong, but, the hard acrylic finish seems to help prevent scratches and makes the clear parts easier to clean. Not perfect, it just seems to help.

Hope to see more builds from you too.
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 11:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

mtnflyer congrats and a fine addition to the gallery dont forget to post there if you haven't yet.Well done and very deserving of that ribbon

Thankyou Justin. And thanks for the wonderful campaign idea. Well worth it!!!
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 11:59 AM UTC
Well I guess 14 or 15 out of 44 enlistees finished isn't bad MOVE IT MOVE IT MOVE IT lets get those builds done Guys and Gals this campaign wont be around for ever.Bunch of maggots chop chop
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 03:12 PM UTC
Yeah! What Justin said! Come on you slackers!! (Easy for me to say as I finished months ago!! )

ViperAtl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 04:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah! What Justin said! Come on you slackers!! (Easy for me to say as I finished months ago!! )

I'm working on it but slow progress at the moment. Photos soon!

Jeez this is like dealing with SWMBO.