Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Fighters! Campaign Thread
shorty53
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 12:49 AM UTC
My entry is OOB Tomahawk IIb, hopefully will turn out as per box art.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 07:45 AM UTC
Recently I started my campaign builds, beginning with the Hurri, and this is how far I came this week ....
The cockpit is painted with Revell 45 Grey-Green and just oob. For the intruments I used a decal. With Agama Hypersol Strong Decal Softener it fits perfect to the plastic part ....

Wings and fuselage go together very well. Just a bit of sanding the seams away. No filler needed so far. For glueing the wings to the fuselage I used ethylacetate. Can't go any better!

Bye Bye cockpit and ready for some paint action ....

This afternoon I threw some white primer on the model. Tomorrow I will paint the red gun covers and the yellow Eastern Front markings first ....

The Spiti is also on her way, but I'm still working on the cockpit as I want to seat the pilot in it. Nearly everyone I know, builds the kit with an open cockpit. I will do that too, but with the pilot in it.

Happy modelling!
Torsten
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 05:55 AM UTC
Well the Eduard Hellcat is just falling together, just needs a touch of filler on the fin where I made a mistake.

Eduard Hellcat Mk.I 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr
oraora
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kuching, Malaysia
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 128 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 - 02:19 AM UTC
I started to build my P-40N last week but I also decided to do an additional fighter.. the P-51D.

Both will be done in ROCAF markings..

the progress pics..

I decided to airbrush the fin stripes first. It took me 2 attempts to get a somewhat even width...

Dangeroo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 - 07:46 AM UTC
Good evening Gents!

Now this one comes right out of left field: I decided to join you if you accept one of the ground hogs (or more of a sealeg lately) with what I hope to be a relaxing and quick build of a 1/144 scale Swiss airforce F-18 from Revell:

Start should be sometime in the next two weeks hopefully...

Some great builds here, I'll be watching and learning!

Cheers!
Stefan
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 - 09:53 AM UTC
Wow lots of great progress here. keep up the great work.

Stefan, can't wait to see how the F-18 turns out, just remember that you can't have any ground munitions in order to qualify for the campaign though.
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 - 11:13 AM UTC
Stefan,

That's a great use of an Iphone. I think I'll try 'time-stamping" my submissions that way. (if I can just figure out what to build for this campaign.) Its down to a few contenders: (all 1/48)

Hasegawa P-51D
Tamiya P-51B (Don Gentile's bird)
Tamiya A6M2 Rufe
Otaki JM2 Raiden
Tamiya HE-219
Nichmo KI-45

I've got tonnes of aftermarket bits for each of these so I'm really spoiled for choices. Any help with suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Fred
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 - 11:49 AM UTC
Hi All!
Here is my entry.

Dangeroo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 - 05:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Stefan, can't wait to see how the F-18 turns out, just remember that you can't have any ground munitions in order to qualify for the campaign though.

Thanks Allen! Don't worry, all it will carry is two Sidewinders. I like the slick look of the pure fighter. I would add two AMRAAMs but the kit doesn't have any...

Cheers!
Stefan
Dangeroo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 - 05:36 PM UTC
Fred, I'd prefer the Rufe, Zero with floats, right?

Cheers, Stefan
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 12:38 AM UTC
Yeah Stefan,

That one has had my eye ever since I opened the box. The kit is simple but goes together well. There's room to spruce it up and the beaching trolley makes it display well too.

Yeah, I think a floatplane fighter is just what this build campaign needs.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,
Fred
oraora
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kuching, Malaysia
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 11:07 PM UTC
Great progress, guys!

I have some progress on my builds.

Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
AeroScale: 508 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 01:48 PM UTC
I have not had a chance to do much, I have the fuse in clamps been like that for a week. Should help with the fit.

Cheers Rob.
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 02:54 PM UTC
Well, the Hellcat Mk1 is coming along very nicely. I've still got a couple seams to attend to (the only ones) but I did lay some paint as I was shooting white anyways

Eduard Hellcat Mk.I 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

This will be my first full set of invasion stripes done in paint. Hopefully it turns out better than the disasters my attempts with decals have been.
hannover67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 49 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 01:56 AM UTC
Hi all I just enlisted for this campaign but I have a slight dilemma because there are several kits that I could enter. All are in 1:72 scale from airfix and Im having trouble comming to a decision! This could be a tough one because I have to choose between a Hawker Typhoon 1b, an F86F Sabre and a Mig 15 all of which have been hanging around for a wile now in my stash and need to get done really. Oh yeah and a De Haviland mosquito also in 1:72 scale from airfix.... this is gonna be a tough one!
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 08:27 AM UTC
Simon, I would definitely go with the MiG-15 or Sabre. True iconic fighters from the skies over Korea.

Looking forward to see your build no matter what you choose
EmperoR
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 67 posts
AeroScale: 61 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 04:19 PM UTC
Hi all, I would like to join the campaign with my 1:48 P-39 Q1 Airacobra, kit No 8063. I intend it to represent airframe 42-19551 - "Devastating Devil"

I have done some small detail in the wheel wells:

I also made most of the interior, just some small details needs to be added:

Thats all for now.
Best regards
Metodi
oraora
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kuching, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 06:01 PM UTC
I have finished putting on the decals...

P-40N

P-51D

phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 02:35 AM UTC
Count me in.
I've got some Hobbyboss Bf-109's knocking about somewhere that would make a great quick build.

Great models so far. Looking forward to seeing the Airfix Spitfire XII as its one I'm thinking about picking up at some point.
dbmdyxl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 03:41 PM UTC
Thanks Jessica, I finally managed to scratch-build the altimeter with steel wires.

I unfortunately broke one of the gear doors yesterday and emailed Model Rectifier Corporation (they are Academy's distributor in US) for a replacement part but haven't heard anything back. So I wonder if you guys have recent successful replacement part request experience from MRC?

Thanks,
Jiang

Quoted Text

That's one of the radar altimeter aerials (there should be two of them some distance apart). I use plastic rod to recreate the whenever I break them off. Drill two small holes close together, glue in lengths of plastic rod and let it dry, then trim to the proper length and glue on the cross member.

Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 09:58 PM UTC
Your leader checking in...

Welcom to all the new entrants to the campaign and great progress so far to all the rest.

I have been round much due to work and home life. I did manage a hour at the bench last weekend (first time in over 3 months)and got as far as priming the cockpit parts and laying the base colour of RLM66 down.
hannover67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 01:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Simon, I would definitely go with the MiG-15 or Sabre. True iconic fighters from the skies over Korea.

Looking forward to see your build no matter what you choose

thanks for that Jesper and I'm sure that you will be pleased to hear that I'm going to build both the Mig and the Sabre as they are both part of the same kit and I'm a pretty quick builder anyway so it shouldn't take me too long here are some pics of my work so far because I started a couple of days ago and have only started the Mig so far because I'm awaiting paint for the Sabre.
here is the sprue of the mig

this is the box art for the kit and both aircraft will be finished as per the box art

this is the pilot figure in his completed cockpit

The fuselage going together nicely!
hannover67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 01:30 AM UTC
sorry about the photobuckt boxes the pictures have not been moved or deleted but I cannot put them on the forum no matter what I try so here is the link to my photobucket album you should be able to tell which pictures show the Mig. I have finished the construction stage and am awaiting the delivery of some paint before I can finish the thing. Sorry for the inconvenience but it is utterly impossible for me to put the pictures in with my forum poasts so this is the best I can do.

http://s1158.photobucket.com/albums/p618/hannover67/
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 02:18 AM UTC
I see what the problem is. You've got part of the instructions still stuck in with the forum code. Your links read
{img}http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p618/hannover67/02
2.jpg/image.file{/img}

You need to leave out that /image.file bit and then your links will work just fine
Here's one without:
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 04:22 AM UTC