_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Fighters! Campaign Thread
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 09:12 PM UTC

Welcome to the Fighters! campaign!

Please post your progress and campaign fellowship here

If you haven't already joined, you can Enlist Here

Please post the photos of you completed build in the Official Campaign Gallery

Here's a list of all the participants and their status

RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 - 04:40 AM UTC
I'm in - will be building the Airfix 1/48 Lightning in the infamous 56 squadron checkerboard scheme

mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 - 12:35 PM UTC
You english types and your Lightnings ...ssssh! Seriously though, every time I see a pic of one I get the itch to add one to the stash. Definitely an awesome looking machine.

Hit the LHS today to pick up some supplies for my campaign build, an A6M2 Zero. No work tomorrow, so no reason I shouldnt get a good start.
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 - 01:44 PM UTC
2.5 hours 'til "game on". The question is: what to build? I've spent the last 2 months collecting the different elements to build an HE-219. (and that is still the plan) but at the 11th hour my thoughts wander to other subject matter.

Hmmm. what to do? Stay the course of make a clean break?

Cheers,
Fred
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 - 02:28 PM UTC
Hmmm.. It has been 12 hours since it started in Australia.. Maybe a nice fighter between battleships...

Make a clean break Fred!! Go outside your comfort zone and build something completely different..
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 - 05:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You english types and your Lightnings ...ssssh! Seriously though, every time I see a pic of one I get the itch to add one to the stash. Definitely an awesome looking machine.

In my defence my dad used to work on them, and 56 was one of his squadrons.....plus I grew up a stones throw from RAF Binbrook which was the home of the Lightning
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 - 07:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

In my defence my dad used to work on them, and 56 was one of his squadrons.....plus I grew up a stones throw from RAF Binbrook which was the home of the Lightning

I can't agree more I live near Binbrook also and there was nothing better than hearing the Lightnings head out over the North Sea on a QRF to meet the Russian Bears encroaching on our air space.

My time is limited at the bench at the moment but I'm planning on building either the Academy 1/48 P-38 Lightning as Virginia Marie or the Airfix 1/48 Lightning F6 as the last one that is still (I believe) at Binbrook to this day.
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 01:06 AM UTC
Reminds of my early years seeing the New jersey National Guard F-106s flying around in the early 80s(very cool!). Later in PA it was A-37s then A-10s and now...nothing, base closed

Got parts for my hasegawa zero washed and now drying
oraora
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kuching, Malaysia
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 128 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 09:18 PM UTC
I'll be building a Hasegawa 1/72nd P-40N and I'll be using BestFong Decals.

mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 12:44 PM UTC
I launched my A6M2 build yesterday, got parts washed, cockpit and engine parts removed and cleaned up. My plan is to build this kit OOB with exception of some eduard etched belts. I plan on doing the colorful scheme from the box art, a zero captured with a host of others on Saipan in 1944. Ill be using the kit decals but may mask and paint the stripes.

I started adding some wiring to the side walls but after some dry fitting you can barely see it, so I cut it all off since thats the stuff thatll bog me down. There is a fuel transfer pump on the floor that is pretty noticeable, so Ill scratch build something very basic for that. Otherwise Ive sanded the seat to near paper thiness and drilled out the holes, looks pretty good. Ill post cockpit pics before it goes together.

BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 06:18 AM UTC
I will build these British legends for the campaign, though the Hurri served a bit away from home and even on the other side of the front ....
While the Spit has surely been scraped a long time ago, the Hurri is still alive and can been seen in the museum. And for all you Finnish out there, this kit has Hakaristi decals inside, though they are not shown on the box art ....
It will take me about another 2 weeks before I can start my dual combo here, as I'm still working on my Eurofighter, but there's a light at the end of the tunnel ....

Happy modelling and good luck with all your builds here!
Torsten
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 07:07 AM UTC
Oh no! Not the Fatally Flawed(TM) Spitfire XII! We're doomed!

(TM 2011, Gaston Whining Company)
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 07:33 AM UTC
You surprise me, Jessie! Since when do you care about what Gaston says?
This will be my first Airfix kit since 1000 years or so, so I take it as it comes. Surely I can make it a good one and I guess in the end it will look like a Spit ....

Btw, I haven't seen one finished kit from Gaston here yet, have you .... ?
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 08:33 AM UTC
Now, now children not in my campaign

Don't forget this campaign is about having fun so you don't have to have millimetre accuracy for your builds

looking forward to seeing some of these build progress. As for me I've been looking through the stash and I might be changing my mind from my original ideas.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 09:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You surprise me, Jessie! Since when do you care about what Gaston says?

I don't. That's why I'm teasing about the "fatal flaw" of 1/2mm thickness. It's a fantastic kit and I know you can make it look incredible.
ltb073
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 09:20 AM UTC
Ok since I am running out of campaigns over on the Armor side I will build another Wingy Thingy here
Photobucket
Academy P-51C Mustang in 1/72 scale,OOB, not many parts here so it should be a quick build once I start cutting, sanding and gluing
nico37
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indre-et-Loire, France
KitMaker: 651 posts
AeroScale: 181 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 08:55 PM UTC
Hi all,

here is my choice with the Eduard' 1/72° Lavochkin La-7 "Dual Combo".
The box is very well furnished, PE and masking sets, all twice times.
My only trouble is that there are height color profiles and i really don't know which one i will choose !!

I will maybe wait to finish my Avia 534 before to start this one, depend the time i will spend...
Cheers
nico
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 12:41 AM UTC
Hi All,

I have this kit as a consignment build, thinking of doing this bird as the box art.

RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 04:40 AM UTC
Nice choice on the Spitfire Torsten, the XII is one of the better looking high-backed Spits.

Quick progress report from me - no detail pics of the cockpit from me. I know from previous experience that all that can be seen with the canopy down is the top of the ejection seat. So I painted it all black, and just used the kits decals (which are rubbish, but you can't see them anyway )

29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2012 - 11:07 AM UTC
Hi All,

Some great subjects for this GB so far, I've made a little progress on my Gekko, the BMF seen in the fuselage is all Alclad II, the opiaque primmer is from the Xtra Color range of enamels, while the green/grey primmer is from the Tamiya range of enamels, the yellowish / orange wing leading edge ID band is painted using a mix of Tamiya enamels, the cowlings are a mix of Tamiya Metalic Blue and Flat Black, while the wing has the Model Master Burnt Steel applied {for simulated exhaust staining}. Cockpit detail is all from the box, with the only additions being a PE belt for each crew seat.

Painted fuselage halves and gun assembly

Cockpit assembly

Fuselage assembled

wing assembly, ready for a clean up and the yellow/orange paint

ID band painted and masked off, applied base for the exhaust stains

Painted Cowlings

Wing painted in Xtra Color IJN Dark Green, exhaust collector and cowling test fitted
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 06:26 AM UTC
Wow Rob. You're screaming along with that build. (I still can't even make up my mind what kit I'm gonna build).

Cheers,
Fred
ltb073
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 12:58 AM UTC
Hi folks,
I have made some progress on my little P-51
Its all primed up and ready for paint
Photobucket
the tail section is not attached because the 1 paint scheme that i will go with has the entire tail section yellow
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 07:18 AM UTC
Hi All,

Made a little more progress on my Gekko.

A small cross member piece behind the pilots seat has yet to be added. Undercarriage legs yet to be painted in Alclad II.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 08:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I will build these British legends for the campaign, though the Hurri served a bit away from home and even on the other side of the front ....
While the Spit has surely been scraped a long time ago, the Hurri is still alive and can been seen in the museum. And for all you Finnish out there, this kit has Hakaristi decals inside, though they are not shown on the box art ....

Nice, always good to see Finnish aircraft built!
Yup, that's the way Hasegawa seems to roll. Be it German or Finnish, no swastikas on box art. But it's nice they have one-piece swastika decals. MPM and Special Hobby kits often have full swastikas on the box art, but the decals are two-piece. Go figure.

Now that I'm all but through with the spring term at the university, I'm itching to finally get some modeling done. This campaign looks like an awesome way to kick it off. Hmmm... what shall it be? Something nice and relaxing like the Tamiya mk.1 Spit, one of those Eduard Fw 190s I've had in my stash for years, or perhaps something Finnish as well...?

29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 - 08:56 AM UTC
Hi All

A bit more progress on the J1N1'Gekko'.

_GOTOTOP