Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Fighters! Campaign Thread
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 04:24 AM UTC
Do not feel bad we all seem to have this problem when first posting photo's
hannover67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 49 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 05:33 AM UTC
Thanks a lot guys that is a great help and explains a lot and as you can tell I am a complete dunce when it comes to computers. I will put all of the pics up soon now that I know what I was doing wrong!
hannover67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 06:18 AM UTC
Ok second time lucky (more like millionth time lucky by now but hey who's counting?) here are all my pictures of the Mig/ Sabre build so far

Item 1 box and sprue (only for the Mig)

Item 2 cockpit with figure

Item 3 cockpit mounted in fuselage

Item 4 wings attached

(in Rolf Harris voice - Can ya tell what it is yet?!)

Item 5 landing gear/ droptanks fitted

Item 6 construction stage complete

Thanks again for all the help
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 09:50 AM UTC
Computers are finicky beasts that only ever do what you tell them to do, never what you want them to do.
hannover67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 - 03:36 AM UTC
Ha!!!!! never heard a truer word!!!!!
shorty53
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 09:28 PM UTC
The Tomahawk is together and undercoated.

phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 07:58 AM UTC
My entry will be the Hobbyboss 1/72 Messerschmitt Bf-109G2 Trop. As I've got a few other campaigns on the go I wanted to do something simple and these Hobbyboss planes are practically idiot proof.

Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
AeroScale: 508 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 11:32 AM UTC
Ok, second time lucky.

my first try at painting the resin cockpit parts didn't stick, had to strip it off and start over.

This time all looks good.

Cheers Rob.

RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 05:48 PM UTC
My favourite part of modelling - decals! Its when the subject suddenly comes to life for me.

Just all the stencils to apply, touch-ups, weathering, and finally add all the sticky out bits. Next time you see this she should be done

hannover67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 10:01 PM UTC
That lightning is looking great so far Neil! I just wish the Mig looked that good at the moment. I just put on the first layer of the camo and I'm pretty sure the paint gods hate me.... I'm finding it utterly impossible to get hold of some paint that just goes on properly! Everything I have used so far always comes out looking streaky or it is way too runny or it all just separates off the plastic so progress has slowed considerably but the good news is that the paint for the Sabre finally showed up (however crappy it is) so I will post some more more pics some time in the near future!
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2012 - 07:11 AM UTC
Well as most of you know Ive suffered a major modelling burnout and Ive not been doing any modelling for the last few month before I knew what had happened yesterday my entry for this campaign was out of the box and within a couple of hours we got to this stage

Huge thank you to my wonderful Tomcat31 for taking over running this campaign for me till I get fully sorted and back on track with modelling
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2012 - 07:12 AM UTC
Neil, your Lightning looks marvelous!! A real looker. Simon, what are you using, an airbrush or a spray can. I thought I might offer some suggestions depending on what method of application is being used. Take care, Russell
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2012 - 07:48 AM UTC
Due to expos in the last 2 weeks I didn't have much time to carry on in this campaign. Only some small steps on the Hurricane.
Here you can see the yellow Eastern Front markings and the red gun covers .....

.... and here I have painted 2 main colours, Light Blue Grey on the underside and Olive Green on the upper side

Hope I have more time this week ....
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2012 - 08:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That lightning is looking great so far Neil! I just wish the Mig looked that good at the moment. I just put on the first layer of the camo and I'm pretty sure the paint gods hate me.... I'm finding it utterly impossible to get hold of some paint that just goes on properly! Everything I have used so far always comes out looking streaky or it is way too runny or it all just separates off the plastic so progress has slowed considerably but the good news is that the paint for the Sabre finally showed up (however crappy it is) so I will post some more more pics some time in the near future!

Simon, best way to get round this is to prime the plastic first. Paint adheres better on a primer than bare plastic whether its enamels or acrylic, hand brushed or airbrushed. A good primer I recomend is Plasti-Kotes 400ml cans that are sold in Wilko. Its available in grey or white but both do the job and one can will last a long time. Its far cheaper and comes in bigger cans than Tamiya's pimer sprays and having used both brands I cannot tell any difference. I used the stuff last year on an F-101 Voodoo I then entirely hand painted in Humbrol Acrylic and the finish was flawless. Personally I find Humbrol Acrylics to be among the worst for brush painting straight on plastic from the pot. Thick, slighty translucent and pool in blobs away from edges. But prime and then thin them a little with de-mineralysed water and they are fantastic.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2012 - 09:05 AM UTC
Halford Automotive Primer is also a good primer to use, it dries quickly (touch dry in about 10 minutes), it is a bit pricey but last for ages.
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2012 - 09:23 AM UTC

Samantha
Welcome back
hannover67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2012 - 10:02 AM UTC
Thanks for all the suggestions about painting guys that will help for the Sabre but there is nothing I can do but put another coat on and hope for the best with the Mig because as I have said the first layer of camo is already on the model but I will deffinately try putting some primer down for the Sabre as I would like to get at least one of the two done to a good standard!!!

I would simply strip the crappy paint off the Mig and start over but the camo for that thing is a b**** of a job (pardon my french!) so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed but I am on holiday now so I will have plenty of time to devote to getting the model to look good. I may not be able to post anything tomorrow because I have to go and do some archery practice (big competition in the next couple of weeks!) but I should be able to put up more pics on Wednesday
Apistofreak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 34 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 12:19 AM UTC
Well better late than never, and I can be tardy as hell at time.

First up some nice builds happening so far so will have to get my act together.

Second, my build? Well not wanting to double up on anybody else's subject I headed down to my LHS. A few extra dollars in this weeks pay check made it a little easier, I picked up an Academy Su-30MK Flanker. Never having built a post vietnam era russian jet this should be fun (Monograms old 1/48 Mig-21 my only previous russian experience).

First pics etc will follow in next post, hope to get a start this weekend.

Ash
hannover67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 10:46 AM UTC
OK so when I said more pics on Wednesday it may have been a little optimstic what with all the practice I've got to do for this archery comp but I will post some more pics soon. When I have got more done on the Mig and Sabre that is but I cant prime the Sabre anywhere indoors so that will have to wait till the weather picks up. More pics on the way and thank you all for the help and suggestions about primer. I ended up going for the grey plasti-kotes stuff because I was going past B&Q and they stock the stuff so I just got it there. Thanks again for all the suggestions they are much appreciated!!!
Apistofreak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 03:50 PM UTC
Simon I wish my archery skills were anywhere near competion quality but there not, so I wish you best of luck.

Progress? Got some done yesturday (Saturday) though it looks like less than the amount of time I spent on it.

Pic of box and sprues.

The first real job to do on this bird is cit its nose off and glue on a replacement. From what I read this a re-pop of Academy's Su-27 with parts to modify it to a Su-30, so modification had begun.

Original Nose

Original nose seperated and replacement nose next to them

Replacement nose test fitted ontop of bottom fuselage.Not a bad first up try

And replacement nose attached. minimal filler needed probably just use some Mr.Surfacer

Next up to do, the office.

29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 04:02 PM UTC
Hi All,

Some great builds progressing for this campaign.

My Gekko is now finished, the only changes I made was adding some PE belts on the crew seats and painting the Orange/Yellow ID wing leading edge and prop markers, otherwise it is all kit decals. External paint was IJN Dark Green from Xtra Color, Interior was a mix of Xtra Color, Tamiya enamels and Alclad.

Weathering is a mix of paint, pastel and Tamiya 'Weathering Masters'
Apistofreak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 04:44 PM UTC
Nice build, like the subtle weathering. Makes a nice difference comapered to some of the heavier weathering you see on many japanese aircraft (myself guilty here as well)
hannover67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2012 - 02:11 AM UTC
Ash, its great to meet a fellow archer! Not to worry about not being at competition standard a little practice will sort that in no time! (Speaking from experience there, I was terrible for the first couple of years, I couldn't hit a barn door if I was right in front of it!!)

Rob that Gekko is looking great!!! Fantastic build

Any way here are some pics of the completed Mig. The Sabre is still yet to get off the ground.....

nose end

slightly better quality pic of the top side

The Mig performing its party piece whilst showing off the underside!

Hope you like the finished product. From now on every time I see this thing I'll spot something that needs changing or adapting because I'm just pedantic like that!!
oraora
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kuching, Malaysia
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 128 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2012 - 05:59 AM UTC
Great build, Rob. Your Gekko looks very nice!

Simon, your Mig-15 looks great. I just bought a similar kit, hope I can put it to good use.

I just completed my 2 fighters. Took me about a month to finish them both...

P-40N

P-51D

Thank you for watching..

Err...I don't seem to be able to upload the completed builds photos to the campaign gallery.. I never experienced it before. Could someone advise me on what to do? thanks..
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2012 - 08:48 AM UTC
It may have something to do with the server move. Staff_jim was saying that he had to move the gallery pictures to another machine to make room for all the moving about. Wait a few days and then see whether the gallery's working again. If you're still having trouble, let us know and we'l see what we can do. Given the extenuating circumstances the campaign admins may choose to be lenient about the gallery pictures until we get it all sorted out.