Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Fighters! Campaign Thread
Apistofreak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 34 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 11:57 AM UTC
WOW on that P-40, awesome job. (P-51 are a meh plane in my my books buts its still a nice job)
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 07:50 PM UTC
Yes there are problems with the gallery at the moment

gallery uploading issue.......

Jim is hoping to have it working by the beginning of July so either keep trying or email them to me ([email protected]) and I'll upload them when its possible. If you do email them please rename the image something useful like P-40N-oraora.jpg rather than DSC1234.jpg
EmperoR
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 67 posts
AeroScale: 61 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 12:46 AM UTC
Greetings.
Its time for a small update from me.

Wings assembled and trailing edge sharpened

Bomb holder and intakes

Exhaust pipes drilled out

Cannon pods cartridge ejection upgraded

Some small detail added to the seat

And some detail in the nose wheel well

All the best.
Metodi.
oraora
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kuching, Malaysia
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 128 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 02:58 AM UTC
Thanks for the info, Jessica.

Thanks for the comments, Ash.

I understand now, Allen. Thanks for the offer to upload the pics but I think I'll wait, don't need to trouble you..
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 06:27 AM UTC
Also from me a little update. The main painting is done ....

.... and standing on the wheels. Some minor corrections are still to be done and I need a new antenna on the fin. The original one was eaten by the carpet monster ..... Exhaust pipes and propeller is also painted in the meantime. Next step is Future on the weekend.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 10:53 AM UTC
Great builds so far. I especially like the Gekko, P-40 and P-51. Very nicely finished guys!
Torsten, great work on the Hurricane. Looking forward to seeing it finished. I can't help but notice the wire contraption its resting on. I presume thats to help paint larger models? Did you make it yourself or is something thats been adapted? I only noticed and ask as I'm giving serious thought to something similar to help when I get round to painting my Airfix Valiant and a few other fairly large models.

Anyway, on with my build. First job was to clean up the fuselage and wings. I needed to fill an oblong depression on the left wing that just happens to be the same size and shape as the wing bulge on their 109G-10 kit. Could they be using the same mould for both kits? Its a minor annoyance but quickly sorted. I also painted the exhausts as they sandwich inbetween the main parts. I had to trim and scrape to get a good fit, but again quickly sorted. With that done I glued the parts together. An hours work, most of that waiting for filler and paint to dry, and I already have something that looks like a 109. These hobbyboss kits really do go together quick.

Arrrgee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 54 posts
AeroScale: 43 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 04:23 AM UTC
Hi, bit of a late joiner, but I thought I would start my aeroscale membership off by joining a FIGHTER group build. I've got an airfix 1:72 Curtiss Hawk 81-A-2 which I am going to complete purely OOB.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 08:35 AM UTC
I'm in with a 1/72 scale Tamiya Kawanashi N1K1 Shiden-Kai "George". As soon as things straighten out in the gallery I'll start posting photos. Russell
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 10:21 AM UTC
Stephen, at first I was wondering what you mean with "contraption". My english is not perfect and sometimes it needs an update. Okay, I guess you mean the frame my Hurricane is resting on, right? I was asked this question a few times already.
Well, I will lead you to my assembly line thread and you will find the answer in the last posting of page 1. I made it by myself.

Happy modelling!
Torsten
oraora
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kuching, Malaysia
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 128 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 01:00 PM UTC
Thank you, Stephen. Hoping to see you finish your BF-109 soon.
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 10:35 PM UTC
Well it ended up in the spray bay and within an hour all three colours were airbushed. Leaving it to dry for a day or so then looks like a couple of coats of klear and then decaling

Dangeroo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2012 - 12:35 AM UTC
Hi everyone!

Some great builds going on here! Metodi, is that a P-39?

So here's my bird: Basic build done, now it's time for painting. Nice and quick so far...

The pit:

Cheers!
Stefan
wespe66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Frederiksborg, Denmark
KitMaker: 122 posts
AeroScale: 121 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2012 - 05:43 AM UTC
Hi,

Here is my entry for the Fighters Campaign. I have decided to build a Messerschmitt Bf109E nachtjäger in 32-scale. At least the paint job should be easy - just a coat of black and I'm more or less done with that

This is an old Hasegawa kit with raised panel lines, huge sprue connectors and a considerable amount of flash, that have been lying in the closet for a couple of years. The box is dated 2007, but I guess the molds are much older. I normally prefer newer kits with recessed panel lines and better fit, but I feel like giving this one a shot.

The wheel wells are practically non-existent, and since I could not find an aftermarket set of 109E wells, I have decided to use a Aires 109G resin set from the sparebox. No harm will be done by that I think, since I am the only person to see it The resin set does not include roofs though, so I will have to fix something myself.

Other aftermarket stuff is CMK wheels, Quickboost exhausts, Eduard PE interior, Eduard PE interior, Eduard paintmask for the canopy and Master turned brass MG barrels. Last the Owl decal set with Peilgerät. The Peilgerät is provided in clear resin. I will be thankful if anyone can give me suggestions on how to paint the Peilgerät realistically!

I plan on ordering paintmasks for crosses, markings and Englandblitz. I hope to receive them in time for this campaign.

Campaign administrator, I can't find myself on the participants list in the top of this thread.

Cheers

BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2012 - 07:39 AM UTC
Nice one, Kenneth! I have a quarterscale kit from Revell (ex Hasegawa) here, which also offers this option. An "Emil" nightfighter was quite rare.
Anyway, my Hurricane sees the end of the assembly line. Here she is still conform with German law §86a StGB criminal code .....

and here she isn't anymore but I really don't care .....

The fighter should be fin(n)ished by next weekend. Afterwards I can start with the Spitfire XII

Happy modelling!
Torsten
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2012 - 09:11 AM UTC
Hi Guys and Gals

Great progress so far and welcome to all the new entrants. I've updated the table on the first post with everyones progress and removed those that are enlisted but haven't posted here yet.

in the mean time I've been sneaking the odd 20 minutes or so at the bench when I can and got the Fw190 to the paint stage. haven't taken many progress photos so here goes with where i'm at

Ready for priming

The underside painted

and painted with all the camo

I don't think I did to badly for my first attempt at mottling

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2012 - 01:12 PM UTC
I think your mottling looks just fine to me. Russell
Apistofreak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 34 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2012 - 06:47 PM UTC
Some nice work going on.

Just a small update from me. Cockpit is half done (still need to paint seats and a few colour additions on the IP/Controls) but main body is together fairly cleanly.

camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 - 12:22 AM UTC
Decaling done and coated with Klear just awaiting weathering

RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 - 04:49 AM UTC

[/quote]Wow!! Check out that box art!

My Lightning is pretty much done, umming and ahhing over wether to weather, but can't upload pics to gallery atm
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 09:37 PM UTC
Here is the start of my project a Do 17z-10. Using the Hobbycraft kit which surprisingly is not banana shaped. Included are True Details wheels, Vector engines and a nameless nose conversion. Shape is good though roughly casted and I need to figure out which lower gun placements to use. I have not found a good head on shot depicting the placement. Since it used an I.R. devise I need to figure out how to paint the receiver that is in the nose. Any suggestions on either of the two would be helpful. It is going to be a big plane when finished, just wondering where I am going to put it when done.
STH70092
STH70090
Photobucket
Photobucket
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2012 - 12:19 AM UTC
What manner of "fighter" is this fellow?
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2012 - 01:37 AM UTC
Within my preamble I did state what the Do17Z-10 is. I suspect further elucidation is needed. The Do 17 was converted into a night fighter, for it had the range and fuel allotment to stay aloft. The glass nose was replaced with a solid one, first with the Ju 88c then with a unique Dornier nose which allowed the a/c to carry the early form of I.R. scanner and receiver. The I.R. was effective to a limited extent, it had a limited radius thus it's effectiveness. For armourment it carried 4 MG 17 above the receiver and two MG 151 below. Hope that this does set the record straight upon the inclusion of this a/c within this g/b.
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2012 - 03:33 AM UTC
I sympathize with any air crew who had to fly the Do-17Z in a fighter role!! Look forward to seeing the completed project.

Best wishes

Ian

Quoted Text

Within my preamble I did state what the Do17Z-10 is. I suspect further elucidation is needed. The Do 17 was converted into a night fighter, for it had the range and fuel allotment to stay aloft. The glass nose was replaced with a solid one, first with the Ju 88c then with a unique Dornier nose which allowed the a/c to carry the early form of I.R. scanner and receiver. The I.R. was effective to a limited extent, it had a limited radius thus it's effectiveness. For armourment it carried 4 MG 17 above the receiver and two MG 151 below. Hope that this does set the record straight upon the inclusion of this a/c within this g/b.

SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2012 - 03:46 AM UTC
Well, after much debate over the model pile I have decided on my fighter entry. Will be converting the 1/32 scale Tamiya F-4J into an F-4"Sierra" with CAM resin slats, CAM resin seats and CAM decals to depict a Reserve bird from the "Stallions" of VF-302. Fight's on baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great looking projects in this thread so far...impressive.

Regards, Ian

Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2012 - 12:46 PM UTC
The Do 17 was fast in it's day. Was faster than the fighters in its day. Why it was called the flying pencil. It was fast enough to catch the early British bombers though when the Lanc came out. Its end was near. It mainly loitered over British aerodromes catching unaware bombers coming back from a mission. Or hung about waiting for the bombers come into their sector.