Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Fighters! Campaign Thread
hannover67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 49 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2012 - 05:03 AM UTC
sorry I havn't uploaded anything in a while but I am planning on doing a little more work on the Sabre today. So far it is primed and some of the smaller and harder to get at parts have already been painted in readyness for the build stage but nothing more than that so far.

Also had to do a slight repair job on the Mig where my blasted cat pushed off the shelf. She really is not a help when it comes to these things, still she cured the mouse problem so thats all right
hannover67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2012 - 12:17 AM UTC
Ok finally some progress on the Sabre, the wing and the fuselage are both ready to be connected and the cockpit interior is (I think) completely finished. Here are the pics so far

The sprues all primed and ready

couple of shots of the pilot in his cockpit

The fuselage looking for all the world like a beached wale all trussed up in elastic bands

the wing also being held together by elastic bands

will be uploading more pics as I go along but thats all for now
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2012 - 02:38 AM UTC
I call my Hurricane ready for take off .....

Better photos will follow soon in the gallery. Now I re-start the Spitfire Mk XII as I didn't came further than painting some cockpit parts and the pilot .....

Happy modelling!
Torsten
oraora
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kuching, Malaysia
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 128 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 - 02:21 AM UTC
Great progress on you sabre, Simon. Hoping to see it completed soon.

Torsten, Your huricane looks beautiful!
Arrrgee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 54 posts
AeroScale: 43 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 - 03:41 AM UTC
Some progress pictures of my Curtiss Hawk, cockpit painted humbrol interior green as oppossed to pale yellow as it states in the instructions. I've been going off an article in Airfix Model World magazine issue 12, which covers this kit, they use interior green which I think looks right oppossed to pale yellow. I have drybrushed on aluminum to weather the cockpit and wheel wells and also detailed the various panels and throttle levers etc on the sidewalls. The wing and fuselage are also now together and prep work for painting is about to begin. The instrument panel looks a little wonky in these pictures, I have rectified this straightiening it out.

camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 - 08:02 PM UTC
Some fab progress, liking the hurricane nice to see it in a different livery, nice to see the sabre coming along and nice work on the hawk. Looking forward to seeing them all progress.

My 109 is finished I actually finished it last weekend but Im awaiting some good natural light to get some half decent pics of it. So worse case by the weekend it could be trying to flood the photobay with light to get some decent shots.
(summer seems to have by passed the UK cloudy overcast and drizzly rain everyday)
hannover67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 02:23 AM UTC
Hello all me again but this time I really do have a progress update on the Sabre! Thanks a lot for all the comments and all of your builds are looking brilliant

Sadly this cannot be said about the Sabre at this point in time because I made the stupid mistake of not putting enough weight in the nose so it dose look like (and I promise I am not trying to sound overly crude here) it has a load of lead up its backside. Anyway here are the pictures

The wings and fuselage all in one piece

the under carage and air brakes fitted

The upper surface

The damn thing is only standing properly in this shot because the tail is resting on the glue
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 03:10 AM UTC
Torsten, great work on the Hurricane. Long been a favoourite of mine and its always good to see one in a different colour scheme. My apologies for the earlier confusiion, I guess the word 'contraption' doesn't really translate well. Its a clever thing you've built.
Looking forward to seeing the Spitfire XII as its one I'm giving some thought to buying.
Ste
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 08:27 AM UTC
Sam seems to have her modelling mojo back so she has once again taken the reins of running this campaign.

Only a small update from me...

I got the winter camo white on but didn't seem to do as well as I did with the mottling. can can only assume there was either something wrong with the paint or the airbrush. Rather than starting all over again I'll try to hide the worse offending bit with some weathering. As this is a winter camo there are only a small amount of decals to apply.

It's now sat with the Klear waiting to dry and then onto the weathering.
flyboy92187
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 08:29 AM UTC
After browsing this thread and seeing all the good work, I am inspired. Count me in with my Hobby Boss 1:48 Hellcat Mk I. I should have some pics soon.
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 08:30 AM UTC
and as promised pics of my finished build

Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
AeroScale: 508 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 12:47 PM UTC
Nice!

Cheers Rob.
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 07:52 PM UTC
OK, gallery back online and my Lightning is just about done, but I'm having a dilema - to wheather or not? Right now she's nice and shiny, and doing a realistically weathered NMF Lightning is very difficult (and rarely seen).

So what do we think, call it a day and quit while I'm ahead? Or a touch of dirt?

Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 07:52 PM UTC

Hi Sam,
are you sure everything's OK with the landing gear?
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 01:01 AM UTC
As far as Im concerned its ok,its finished and staying as it is. I built it for fun to try and easy my depression/ take my mind off a lot of problems at the moment. It really doesn't bother me about the U/C I noticed it after I did it but I really don't care. Its already taken me many months to get back to the bench and building again so as far as Im concerned any finished models regardless off wrong bits every one is a small step forward
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 02:26 AM UTC
Good Job!
One step at a time!
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 03:55 AM UTC
It hasn't moved much of late, but the Hellcat Mk1 is still moving forward.

Eduard Hellcat Mk 1 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

I'm sorting out canopy masks right now.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 04:17 AM UTC
Good progress on your builds, folks!

Allen, your "Friedrich" looks beautiful from this pics. Yes, I also had problems with the white camo stripes when I painted my "Red 2". But don't forget that the camo also goes over the canopy! If you like have a look on my build earlier this year in my assembly line thread over in the WW 2 forum.

Sam, your "One-O-Nine" looks really nice, even if the wheels should be in the same angle as the landing gear. If you like it, that's fine enough.

Neil, great job on your Lightning and - no weathering .....!

Anyway, I came pretty far with my Spit this week and here is the result so far. The fitting is veeery good, so well done, Airfix! Exept for the canopy .... I have decided to keep it closed in the end. Next step will be white primer tomorrow.

Happy modelling!
Torsten
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 04:22 AM UTC
Nice work on the Hellcat its a lovely little build I had a great time doing mine last year. I was thankful it came with the masks for the canopy though I think that without them it would have drove me further round the bend

Neil I like the Lightning how it is at the moment but choice is really down to you regarding the weathering.

Simon don't worry about the Sabre tail sitting worse case get it finished and then make a small base and attach it to the base once it is finished.

Torsten fab work on the Spitfire so far looking forward to seeing it sprayed up
dbmdyxl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 02:41 PM UTC
Tens of days after my last post I finally finished assembling my corsair, and prepared some aluminum for chipping:

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 06:36 AM UTC
The temptation has become too much
I'm in with a pair of not-Messerschmitts. A Buchon and a Mezek, both post war adaptations of the basic bf-109G airframe.

Both by Hobbycraft, both sufficiently well known that I feel that I can dispense with the usual history sketch. Well maybe. Anyone NOT know what these two are famous for?

Building will begin with a spray of Tamiya RLM-02 on the inside bits. I'm going to go with this colour as being least likely to be totally wrong unless someone can offer an alternative.
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 10:38 AM UTC
Well the Mule is pretty famous for flipping over on take off. It's also famous for the cannon gondolas firing out of sequence and making the wings go back and forth. It's also famous for the synchroniziation gear going out and shooting the prop off. Nonetheless, it is a sweet looking fighter plane and an enjoyable kit to build. Will look forward to seeing both of those.!!!

Regards, Ian

Quoted Text

The temptation has become too much
I'm in with a pair of not-Messerschmitts. A Buchon and a Mezek, both post war adaptations of the basic bf-109G airframe.

Both by Hobbycraft, both sufficiently well known that I feel that I can dispense with the usual history sketch. Well maybe. Anyone NOT know what these two are famous for?

Building will begin with a spray of Tamiya RLM-02 on the inside bits. I'm going to go with this colour as being least likely to be totally wrong unless someone can offer an alternative.

lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
AeroScale: 369 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 11:24 AM UTC
late starter! Yak 3 Eduard. photos tomorrow! J

I hope i can get up to the standard of these fine kits!
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 06:46 PM UTC
Looking forward to seeing the not-Messerschmitts progress Jessie.
The more the merrier James and looking forward to seeing the Yak progress
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
AeroScale: 369 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - 01:31 AM UTC
thanks Samantha, well here is my work so far.